09:00 to 10:00 arrival time - OCTOBER 10th, 2009 - Cast Bullets Workshop

Would you want to participate in a FREE cast bullet event?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Date Change: October 10th, 2009 - Casting Gathering Date

UPDATE: I've added a section to the first post, with the things that need to be done, and who volunteers to take ownership of it for the workshop. Please either PM me or post here with your interest in volunteering for anything. We need help. Also, it's important to have a head count, so again, either PM me or post here now that we have the fixed date, letting me know that you will be attending. I'll update the info as volunteers and attendees come along.

UPDATE: My GF tells me that we will be at a wedding in CT on the weekend of Oct 3rd, so the casting thing will have to be on the tenth. Sorry if that creates any issues with anyone.

I have gotten a LOT of pressure from my reloading students to do a casting CLASS. Quite honestly, our plan for a "gathering" type event makes more sense in my book. One of the guys who was determined to learn casting before he heads to FL for the winter was begging me to do something before the end of October.

So, I propose the 10th of October as the date, and my place here in Buxton, ME as the location.

I have lots of parking available, and a huge area for setting up reloading outside, weather permitting. If I clean out my barn a bit (huge boat in there) we would even have that as a rain location. (since water and molten lead do not play well together.)

I realize that the location is an issue for some of you, and would be very open to relocating the event somewhere more central. All offers of an alternative location are welcome.

But I'd like to cement the date in stone, with perhaps a rain date before the end of October.

Last edited:
Since a date is now set, I'd like to get a sense for how many would be able to attend. So, if you can make it, please indicate so.

Also, since this is an open NES workshop, and not a Duke Class, I'd like to have people volunteer to handle various aspects of the workshop process.

You don't have to be an expert on any aspect of casting bullets. You just have to be willing to step up, and take ownership of that area of discussion for the group.

Examples:
  • Raw Wheel Weight Processing - Making Ingots - Techniques
  • Linotype - Plumbers lead - and other forms of material
  • Melting Pot Options - Electric vs Gas
  • Fluxing Techniques
  • Mold Types - Pro's and Cons
  • Mold preparation - Before the pouring begins
  • Casting in Earnest - Let the pouring begin!
  • Trimming - Sizing
  • Lube that lead! - Techniques, Recpies
  • The How's and Why's of Gas Checks - Where to get them and how they're used
  • Reloading with cast bullets, issues and concerns
  • Photographer, to visually document techniques
  • Food.... there has to be food!!!!

I envision that everyone would arrive, and the various people who would handle each section would set up, and then when it was all prepared, we would visit with each section, and have a round robin type discussion so that we all get the benefit of the information. It would be up to each person responsible for a section to prepare for their section, coordinating with others to have tools, supplies, and materials on hand to do a proper demo of the various concepts.

So, for example: I could handle the raw conversion section - wheel weights to ingots, and would have some demos set up for the various ways to do that, and we would each spend perhaps 1/2 hour at that section.

Someone else would be responsible for the next section, and we would all visit that area, asking questions, etc. For the sake of energy preservation, it would make sense for the ingots that got cast in the first section be the raw material for the next section. That way we don't have to wait for stuff to heat up and melt again.

If we can manage it, it would be great if each person did some research for their section, and if we could get someone to record (written or orally) the sequential sections. We could then compile a very detailed and informative step by step how to cast bullets type reference guide. That would be made available, here on-line, for all NES members to use. The respective person(s) would get credit (name mentioned) for their respective discussion section.

If it gets organized properly, this casting thing would take about 6 hours, not including initial set up time. However, it would provide invaluable information to all who attend, and who use the reference guide in the future.

So, please step up, and make your plans and abilities known. I guess we could create sub-thread discussions for the sake of clarity in organizing the various discussion points.

I hope that I'm not asking for too much. I'm looking forward to having a fun day.

Last edited:
Hi Duke,
You can count me in.....[wink]

I can cover various lead alloys (have linotype, raw lead and 50/50 solder as well as a Lyman hardness tester)...

Can also cover sizing/lubing.... Got my star lubri-sizer in though it is not mounted to anything yet but don't think that will be a problem... Also can cover gas checks as most of my molds are for gas checked bullet designs...

Can also talk about bullet/mold design as I (hopefully) will have a number of my molds in by then....

Would be glad to cover anything you think appropriate, just let me know....

Thanks for setting this up.... Should be a great opportunity to learn and share experiences....[smile]

Since a date is now set, I'd like to get a sense for how many would be able to attend. So, if you can make it, please indicate so.

Also, since this is an open NES workshop, and not a Duke Class, I'd like to have people volunteer to handle various aspects of the workshop process.

You don't have to be an expert on any aspect of casting bullets. You just have to be willing to step up, and take ownership of that area of discussion for the group.

Examples:
  • Raw Wheel Weight Processing - Making Ingots - Techniques
  • Linotype - Plumbers lead - and other forms of material
  • Melting Pot Options - Electric vs Gas
  • Fluxing Techniques
  • Mold Types - Pro's and Cons
  • Mold preparation - Before the pouring begins
  • Casting in Earnest - Let the pouring begin!
  • Trimming - Sizing
  • Lube that lead! - Techniques, Recpies
  • The How's and Why's of Gas Checks - Where to get them and how they're used
  • Reloading with cast bullets, issues and concerns
  • Food.... there has to be food!!!!

I envision that everyone would arrive, and the various people who would handle each section would set up, and then when it was all prepared, we would visit with each section, and have a round robin type discussion so that we all get the benefit of the information. It would be up to each person responsible for a section to prepare for their section, coordinating with others to have tools, supplies, and materials on hand to do a proper demo of the various concepts.

So, for example: I could handle the raw conversion section - wheel weights to ingots, and would have some demos set up for the various ways to do that, and we would each spend perhaps 1/2 hour at that section.

Someone else would be responsible for the next section, and we would all visit that area, asking questions, etc. For the sake of energy preservation, it would make sense for the ingots that got cast in the first section be the raw material for the next section. That way we don't have to wait for stuff to heat up and melt again.

If we can manage it, it would be great if each person did some research for their section, and if we could get someone to record (written or orally) the sequential sections. We could then compile a very detailed and informative step by step how to cast bullets type reference guide. That would be made available, here on-line, for all NES members to use. The respective person(s) would get credit (name mentioned) for their respective discussion section.

If it gets organized properly, this casting thing would take about 6 hours, not including initial set up time. However, it would provide invaluable information to all who attend, and who use the reference guide in the future.

So, please step up, and make your plans and abilities known. I guess we could create sub-thread discussions for the sake of clarity in organizing the various discussion points.

I hope that I'm not asking for too much. I'm looking forward to having a fun day.

Duke....someone should also take pics to match your written description

Just a thought from a guy.

I have another non-NES member coming. He's driving 2+ hours down from wayyyyyyy up north Maine. He just took my reloading class Saturday, and wants to join in on the casting workshop.

Hi Duke,
I could take care of the food. I could grill burgers. I will bring everything with me. Just tell me how many people will be attending.

Thanks for handing that. So far there are only 5 or 6 coming, but there could be more.

Folks, if you are planning on coming, you need to make your plans known, so we can feed you. I have an attendance roster going in the first post.

Hi Duke,
I could take care of the food. I could grill burgers. I will bring everything with me. Just tell me how many people will be attending.

I would be very interested in attending if it's still open. I have an older digital camera so if you can use a "so-so" photographer I'd be happy to volunteer.

Attendance is always open, right up to the day of the event. We'd like to help G3 with planning how many people to feed, so be sure to let me know if you are coming up that day.

Reloading lolapalooza

Okay, I'm letting you know. I will be there.[smile]

I'm leaving from Lowell, MA. If the weathers good I'll take the motorcycle in case anyone wants to join in on a ride, otherwise I'll take the truck in case anyone wants to share a ride.

Bruce

Hi Duke..... Talked my son (Marcus5Aurelius) into coming as well so it will add another to your head count.....[smile]

Also can do the lubing section of the session unless you (or another volunteer) wants to cover it.....[wink]

Thanks again for setting this up......[grin]

Glad to have him along. Thanks.

The less I have to do the better, so unless someone else comes along, you can do that also. [grin]

I'm hoping that someone assumes the responsibility for DOCUMENTING the day. We need someone to be sort of like a newspaper reporter for the day. Lots of notes.
In addition, could each person who does a section please develop and document their section? I'll collect notes after the event, and compile that into an on-line downloadable document, "How to cast Bullets, an NES Workshop - 2009"

Last edited:
As the date for this workshop draws closer (a week away!), we need to put final details in place.

WEATHER: We need to decide if weather will thwart our workshop. While my barn is huge, my boat engine is in pieces, and I am unable to move the boat, so the barn is out. I do have a two car garage under my home, and that should be big enough to handle the crowd. And, it's airy enough to allow the fumes and vapors to dissipate. So, should we re-schedule if there's a threat of rain? Or, go on with the workshop in the garage? If it' a nice day, we will just do it all outside, to dress accordingly.

Raw materials: Could someone stop by a tire shop, and get some raw wheel weights??? Used ones, of course. They used to be free, but most dealers are selling the weights for $$$$, and they might charge for some. Last time I got some, it was a $20 bill for a 5 gallon bucket full (more than some people can carry). Your mileage may vary. I have plenty of precast "ingots", but no more raw weights. Whoever brings the weights will take home the lead.

Any other things I am forgetting???

Duke, I am new to the site, but like what your doing. I live in Sanford. I drive to biddeford daily. I can donate about 10 pounds wheel weights and a handfull of lyno. Both unmelted. Cast my own, and can't make meeting, but could meet and give material around route 35- jackson corners early am or late evening as I work 3rd shift. Let me know. Bob

Sure! All donations to the cause are appreciated.

I have sent you a PM with my tel number. Call me and we can arrange to meet today. Thanks again. Wish you could make the workshop.

G3, the expected list of attendees is shown in the first post of this thread.

Expect rain! I'm hoping for a better day than they forcast for, but the workshop will go as scheduled. We'll run it in my two car garage. Plenty of room for the group we are expecting.

Bring chairs. I'm still making room in the garage for the workshop, and realize that we'll need to occasionally sit. So, bring a folding chair.

I have a couple of 20 amp GFCI outlets in the garage, so we should be good for power.

I can add lights as we need them (have all kinds of lights!)

I can set up a few fans if we need to exhaust fumes from the open garage doors.

I have a rolling cart that we can work from, as well as some sturdy plywood and metal saw horses. There's also the concrete floor.

If anything needs bench mounting, you might make up a base to mount that to, and we can clamp it to one of the work surfaces. I have lots of clamps.

I have two 20 pound propane tanks for melting fuel, and a bunch of ways to melt. I also have some hand held propane torch tanks. We should be fine for the gas fired heat that we'd need for the day.

I gotta check the propane for the gas grill so G3 has heat there to work his magic with. Thanks again, G3, for bringing the food.

I didn't hear back as to whether anyone is bringing wheel weights.

Back
Top Bottom