1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

'07 Tacoma frame issue?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ront02769, Oct 11, 2017.

1. ront02769

ront02769 NES Member

So a couple of years back I got a. "Recall" notice from Toyota saying that my tacoma's frame might rust...and asked me to being it in for inspection. I did, and they determined it good to go and put a coat of some smelly rust proof stuff over it. Last week I get ANOTHER notice from local dealer that basically offers the same thing......but also say toyotas records indicate that mine was NOT inspected under the "current settlement". Any Toyota guys out there who can give me an idea of what is going on?

2. Penniepup1

Penniepup1 NES Member

Same thing here for my '07. Got the recall from Toyota USA and brought the truck down to the dealer and they sprayed it. Got a notice from the dealer (same one) that sprayed the frame. Brought it hack and they checked it over. Frame needed nothing but they replaced the rear springs while it was there. Corporate America is as efficient as the government, well maybe a little better.

3. snax

snax NES Member

Its a ploy to get you to bring it in, tell you its junk, and they will give you $xxx towards a new one

mikelawtown likes this.
  4. Tarsook

Tarsook

No, its not.

Recalls / TSB's get supplements all the time. A few years back, the recall could have been different. Procedure changes, old procedure deemed not sufficient for actual fix, bring it back in. Literally happens all the time.
    The gigantic air bag recall going on? We're on the third iteration of those right now. As in, they've done it once in 2015, came back and said that one was no good bring it back in 2016, and again in 17. Not everything at a dealership is a nefarious sales scheme.

W.E.C and Fixxah like this.
  5. ront02769

ront02769 NES Member

Thanks guys. I will give the dealership a call.....esp. Since I just ran into a friend at the range who went through the same process....and was told they are giving him a new frame for his truck! Ron

6. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

don't drive a tacoma, a guy i worked with did and got his frame entirely replaced along with the rear axle and some other under body components. they told him if he didn't want that option he could get a prorated discount on a new vehicle. i'm going by memory so i might be foggy on facts...he was told his truck could be out for as long as 6 months while they did the work and was given a vehicle of equal value to use from the dealerships rental fleet. he got his truck back way before 6 months, maybe something like 6-8 weeks. this guy had been an auto mechanic half his life, worked on saabs, so he knew his way around automotive stuff. he was doing a freakin' happy dance when the truck came back telling us a lot of stuff that was wearing out had been replaced also and they extended the life of the truck. this wasn't a new truck, had some years on it. happened in 2015? maybe. we were laid off a few months later so i don't know if he's still doing that dance.

7. ben1

ben1 NES Member

This is for a class action settlement. I just got my frame replaced on my 2006 Tacoma. Back in 2014 Toyota put the coating on under the campaign the OP mentioned. The coating doesnt do anything and my frame rotted through. I have spent the past year and a half dealing with Toyota and the lawyers. The website www.toyotaframesettlement.com has all the information. You should definatley bring it in for an inspection. PM me if you need more details.

8. Point37

Point37

my parents had their tacoma bought back...i could put my hand inside one of the holes in the frame...150% of excellent condition kelly blue book value...they bought another one...hopefully the frame lasts on this one

9. evalance

evalance NES Member

not as bad as my tundra frame cracking and the lower control arm basically falling off while driving with a pregnant wife, but hey Toyota washes his hands clean not our problem, all set with toyota, bought 13 shevy but the coating they use on the frame is also a joke you can scrape it off with your nails

10. JohnZ

JohnZ

Watch your control arms. I had one rust through and break on my s10. Had it at the dealer 6 months before with a complaint of a scratching/creaking noise under certain driving conditions like angling into a parking lot that has a rise. Couldn't recreate it and they threw it up on the lift and "inspected" it and didn't find anything wrong. Control arm failed with a pop backing out of the driveway (luckily.) The noise I was hearing was probably the stamped control arm flexing like a beer can when the wheel was stressed in the right direction.

11. backinblack

backinblack

My '03 Tacoma was factory sprayed in '08, and came with a 10-year additional frame warranty. The outside was sprayed with a nasty, black tar substance that gets all over everything when you're under the truck, and the inside of the frame is sprayed with a clear paraffin wax.

The body is solid, so I'm hoping the frame holds up...!

12. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

They sprayed my 2010 Tacoma frame this spring after it passed frame inspection. Today, I bring it in for maintenance, and rattling noises.... It failed inspection. They estimate 3 months for parts and repair to be done. So, they are keeping it for rant time and getting a rental.

Although now I wonder what to do about the dump sticker. How do I bring my crap to the dump with an out of state car with no sticker? Guess I better stop by and ask before the stench gets too bad...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  13. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

I do find it humorous Toyota has made the frame a regular wear item like brake pads. At 75k bring it in for a coolant flush, brake pads, chassis lube and a new frame!

shiprec13 and Prepper like this.
  14. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Although, I did make it to 195k, but I drive a lot. This is gonna cost them... sucks to engineer something wrong from the start. Not just the repair, but 3 months rental. LOL.

Crap... after I'm done with a new rental for 3 months, I won't want to return to my old junker.

15. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

False

I brought my ‘02 Tacoma in and they did an entire frame swap. They even let me purchase new parts, third party mind you, and they installed them for free because all labor was already included. This was a few years back mind you and I have a “new” ‘13 Tacoma.

It’s cheaper for them to do a full on frame swap than a buy back, even if it’s put towards a new Toyota product. That’s why they’re taking to spraying frames if they can catch them early enough.

16. 76Too

76Too NES Member

Two years ago I got the goop slapped on.

One year later they inspected it again and told me it was 'perforated'. I spend an abnormal amount of time under my truck doing routine and preventative maintenance and I never once saw a perforation.

Regardless, I got a new frame, lower control arms and rear leafs last year. 2008 Taco. When I got it back it looked a little funny because they took my 'add a leafs' out, but I had them give me back my leaf pack and I sold them on craigslist without my helper spring...installed helper on new leaf pack after sandblasting/refinishing and VIOLA...I have a new 5spd 4x4 single cab truck that I'll probably be driving for the next 15 years. I can't imagine the amount of dog hair that will accumulate by then.

drgrant, Hikes and CoastieRon like this.
  17. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

Dammit.

Now I’m worried about the frame on my ‘13.
    I was told they switched manufacturers when I purchased the truck as I had been through it all before. I love the thing and it punches well above its belt. But the frame rust thing seems to be starting again....

18. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

I went to Toyota of Nashua last week for my 15k service on my 2018. Took a walk around the building and saw they had no less that 20 brand new Taco frames on pallets, and 7 rusted out ones on pallets.

As I recall, it's a 15 year extension of warranty on frames for the second gen Tacoma. So if your truck is older than 15, you're SOL.

19. deerdad

deerdad NES Member

I just had my 2003 extended cab done a few weeks ago. I got lucky because the warranty starts from when the vehicle was put into service. Mine was put into service Sept 13 2003 so I just squeaked under the wire. I have 224,000 mile on it so I decided to get other parts replaced on it while it was apart. Just about all the parts had no labor since they had to come off anyway so I saved a good chunk of money there and just had the cost of the parts I wanted replaced. The main things that had labor (even that was low because the motor and trans were out) were the timing belt and water pump. Those were still original equipment and the guy couldn't believe it. I bought it with about 75,000 on it and I never had those done. I just had the original clutch done last year at about 215,000 and they told me I got as much as possible out of it. I try to be careful and make things last. The motor is good and doesn't use oil between changes and the body is solid so I'm good for another 100,000 miles anyway. Other than being a little cozy inside, it's been a great truck and doesn't owe me anything.

Greg

CoastieRon likes this.
  20. rocket500

rocket500 NES Member

My dad’s taco (I forget the year but I’d guess it’s a 2010-ish) just got a spanking new frame on the house.

21. Coyote33

Coyote33

I would guess your truck is never the same after this. I mean, they have to take EVERYTHING off, brakes, suspension, engine, transmission, body, electrical, etc. I can't imagine them putting all the fasteners back in the same condition as when it was brand new.

22. Hikes

Hikes

I also have an 08 taco, sprayed the goop on a couple years ago (which is useless). I can't see any perforation, but LOTS of rust everywhere. Can you let me know (or PM me) the dealer you went though? A new frame would be mighty nice!

23. 76Too

76Too NES Member

No you're right...it's better. The techs at the dealer got mine back to me in about 20 hours from drop off to pick up (hah...pun...pick up...nevermind)

It was so quick, I didn't even have time to respond to request for service items to get done while they were in there, but I probably would have refused anyway because I'm as cheap as a Piedmont Street Walker.

Truck has close to 10k miles in all conditions since the swap and I couldn't be happier knowing that I'm on a brand new frame that I had coated a week after I got it done by the guy that does oil coating on here...i forget his username. Dude did a fantastic job though. It's pretty messy to work on anything under there now due to the oil coating, but it's doing its job, so I don't care.

Coyote33 likes this.
  24. 76Too

76Too NES Member

I got a recall notice in the mail. I went through the one in Auburn.

25. Hikes

Hikes

Thanks! I'm only a couple miles from them, they applied my frame goop. I've had varied experiences with them but guess i'll give them a shot.

26. Energizer

Energizer NES Member

Got almost $15K for my '99 Taco in a buyback in '08 before they started the frame swaps. After seeing the amount of frame steel that was just gone, it was a miracle that truck never broke in half just putting it in drive. Put that $15K toward my '06 4Runner (made in Japan), after I drove their rental for two months while they settled my case and cut the check. No way I was taking a chance on a Taco built here in the States - looks like I made the right decision. IIRC they traced the issue back to a Dana plant out in the Midwest and they ended up paying millions to Toyota. Sad to hear it is still an issue.

27. Coyote33

Coyote33

Semi off topic: Guys, Auburn Sportsman's Club is going through renewals right now. If you're interested in joining, now is a good time to get your name in. I think there is a list, but after renewals end, any open spaces will then be filled in order.

OK, back to truck frames.

28. shiprec13

shiprec13 NES Member

I’ve had a lot of little stuff and a few big items that needed repairing since my frame was done. Most notibly the tourque converter which set me back over $1,000! Wish they would’ve just offered me a new truck at this point.

29. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades

Interesting....

I took my 2003 in for the cross member recall and a new muffler... under the old Toyota lifetime parts warranty. I had it installed at the same time they sprayed my frame.
    I too got the call that they "think they found frame perforation" and are talking to Toyota.
    I looked everywhere and couldn't find the "perforation" they speak of.
    I am waiting to hear from the dealer to either take it back in to have the cross member done or the whole frame replaced.
    I got it in literally three weeks before my 15 years was up.
    I am kind of rooting for a new frame.

30. weehooker

weehooker NES Member

When My 01' got the frame replaced a couple of years ago, it turned out to be a good time to replace the clutch, brakes, muffler and a few other odds and ends. Since the truck was already disassembled, the dealer was convinced to charge only for parts and minor labor to get it all done while they were in there.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018