• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

'03A3 Shooting low

Hey folks:

I just got a Remington '03A3. A shooter with real good bore and was in fairly decent shape with matching parts. The stock was a sanded original (43 production all around). I was shooting Winchester 150gr at 100 yards and it was all dropping about a foot below center of the target. The lowest setting on the sights is 200yrds. Bringing the elevation up to about 400 yards got me 7-8 inches below center. My groups were fine as far as wind went (all pretty close to center) so I tend to think is was either the front blade or stock fit. I'm a little bit at a loss especially since my groups were fairly consistent.

Any help would be great!

Hows the front sight look.....does it seem really tall?
have you had the action out of the stock?
Check to make sure the screws are not loose through the trigerguard into the action.

@Mac1911 and icyclefar: I checked all the screws as I had not done a detailed break down yet and the forward trigger screw (forward of the magazine plate) was badly chewed (all the grooves were stripped). I checked the threading with the rear screw and it fit in nice and tight so it appears that it is just the screw. I happen to have a replacement so I swapped it out. I'll take it to the range this weekend and see if that did the trick. I didn't notice any "play" as I was shooting it but it may have been enough to throw it off.

I went through all kinds of issues with my rescue a3. I found just snugging up the screws evenly and then rechecking every five rounds or so to make sure they are staying snug. That was with the original straight stock. Once the screws stayed snug(not to tight, best i can say is to the point where you tighten your grip to get any more torque on it...12ftlbs maybe ?) I had to repeat the same process on the replacement cmp C stock. Once that was settled I needed to replace my front sight. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...131393-midnight-madness-1903a3-project-2.html

Update: The screw appeared to be the real problem here. Took it out to the range this weekend and with the replacement screw it was shooting fine (better than me). Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom