• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

0.308-Winchester

Bought some 147-gr bullets for loading 0.308-WIN, without bothering to see if I can find loading data for 147-gr.

I use Hodgdon powder and would like to use Varget for 0.308 - but they only have data for 150-gr - Anyone have recommended loads for 147gr 0.308?

Thanks,

Chris

From what I have seen and been told, it is more of the style of bullet that is the determining factor. Those who are not just guessing will be along shortly.

Bought some 147-gr bullets for loading 0.308-WIN, without bothering to see if I can find loading data for 147-gr.

I use Hodgdon powder and would like to use Varget for 0.308 - but they only have data for 150-gr - Anyone have recommended loads for 147gr 0.308?

Thanks,

Chris

I'm using 147gr bullets in my .30-06 and I am using the loading for 150gr FMJBT. Three grains
in the bullet weight isn't going to make much difference in your load (MHO). I am using 2520
at this time and playing around with the powder weight. I loaded up some this morning at
47.5, 48.0, 48.5, 49.0. They all seem to shoot better than I do. [smile]

If you start at the min load and work your way up slowly you should be covered...

What type of rifle are you going to shoot these in? Bolt action or semi-auto? Mine is a
700 Remington Bolt Action.

Last edited:
I ran in to this problem as well my books give me data for a 140gr bullet and 150 bullets and I picked up some 143 gr bullets. After looking closely I noticed that the grains of powder for both 140 and 150grain bullets using varget powder was the same (44-47 grains)

I have yet to find any data out thier that says other wise. What I did was start 5 rounds 10% less than the starting load (39.6grains). I know not much of a differance in powder but that what made me feel comfortable. And I work my load from thier.

Last edited:
I would use the data for 150gr boat tailed bullets.

The difference in weight is only about 2%. In reality weight will make much less of a difference than the bearing surface. Remember a 150 Gr. flat base bullet does not equal a 150 Gr. boat tailed bullet. The bearing surface is significantly different.

B

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom