“Weapons survey” at Mass Eye and Ear

milktree

NES Member
I was at Mass. Eye and Ear today in their ER, one of the questions right in with the “do you feel safe at home” and “was this work related” was, “do you have any weapons on you?”

f*** off?
None of your business?
No.

I didn’t ask what they’d do if the answer was, “yes.” Call security? Provide a lock box? Ask us to leave? Call the cops?

I wonder what they do when you say, “no”, but they catch you with one.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard this question. Is it new, or have I just not been an ER in a long time?

Relevant in the ER because you could end up drugged or unconscious when being treated. Just be sure anyone who stores your gun shows you LE credentials or an LTC and issues you a receipt.
This question may be relevant for risk management in that day's ER visit, but it's included as part of the larger medical record on a patient, specifically the Social history (medicine) - Wikipedia. It fits alongside other history categories like surgical history, family medical history, etc. that you'll also get at a PCP's visit. Theoretically all relevant considerations in your medical assessment but (as we frequently note here) potentially invasive when a hot political topic and creating a medical record. They were all routine intake questions with every ER visit when I worked there.

"Weapons on you" is a little bit different than the typical "firearms in the home" question. My understanding, based on a previous discussion, is that there have been circumstances where that was a relevant question when someone's clothes were removed for an exam.

Don't be a militant jerk to people that may have to see you naked.

"Weapons on you" is a little bit different than the typical "firearms in the home" question. My understanding, based on a previous discussion, is that there have been circumstances where that was a relevant question when someone's clothes were removed for an exam.

Years ago I was in Bridgeport, CT ER for a number of hours, (they were pretty busy). Eventually a room opened up and they got ready to admit me. When they did, they asked me if I had any valuables on me. I said yeah, my wallet, a knife, a gun. The looks on their faces... The next question was on the order of "You've been in here for hours and didn't tell anyone you had a gun on you?". I responded "nobody asked". They wouldn't admit me until I had someone pick it up. So, I called my buddy Tank who came down, picked it up and dropped it off at the local bar where they tossed it in the safe for me. I picked it up from there when I was released from the hospital couple days later.

Why yes - my mind is a Weapon... a Weapon of Math Instruction..... my AR is a Sporting Firearm ;)

Boots
Feet
Fists
Magazine [paper book type not ammo holder]
Newspaper
Pencil
Belt
High heals
Hair needles
Umbrella
As others have said. My mind.
Elbows
Knees
Chair I’m sitting on
Pen I’m using to fill this form out.

No one can answer that question with a no.
I hope I’m getting the point across that most
any object can be used as a weapon.
Dumb question written by ignorant people.

Years ago I was in Bridgeport, CT ER for a number of hours, (they were pretty busy). Eventually a room opened up and they got ready to admit me. When they did, they asked me if I had any valuables on me. I said yeah, my wallet, a knife, a gun. The looks on their faces... The next question was on the order of "You've been in here for hours and didn't tell anyone you had a gun on you?". I responded "nobody asked". They wouldn't admit me until I had someone pick it up. So, I called my buddy Tank who came down, picked it up and dropped it off at the local bar where they tossed it in the safe for me. I picked it up from there when I was released from the hospital couple days later.
I want a buddy named “Tank!”

I get why they would want to know if you are carrying so they can secure the firearm if you need to be put under. But when they ask whether you have guns in the home, that one is bogus. Might as well ask whether you secure prescription medication, poison and knives while they are at it. And then you can ask how many malpractice incidents there have been in the hospital, since they dwarf so-called “gun violence” (which as we know includes suicides (in fact, like by more than half if I recall correctly)).

I was at Mass. Eye and Ear today in their ER, one of the questions right in with the “do you feel safe at home” and “was this work related” was, “do you have any weapons on you?”

f*** off?
None of your business?
No.

I didn’t ask what they’d do if the answer was, “yes.” Call security? Provide a lock box? Ask us to leave? Call the cops?

I wonder what they do when you say, “no”, but they catch you with one.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard this question. Is it new, or have I just not been an ER in a long time?
My Wife went to the ER at Faulkner Hospital and they asked those questions with a twist. They asked her if EITHER OF US had any weapons on us. She told them no and I kept my mouth shut.

If you are brought in by ambulance they will likely strip you. But if you are ambulatory, they will give you a johnny and ask you to strip. So you can hide any weapons in your clothing. Sorry, your comment doesn't compute in most cases.

ETA: I don't think it smart to carry into an ER if you are the victim undergoing an exam however, just reporting that they won't "find it" if you do and you are ambulatory.

A pen or pencil can be used as a “weapon “
Yup, and I've attended workshops where they had us murder a raw potato with a paper straw too.

If you walk into the ER, as opposed to being brought in by ambulance, I'm surprised you didn’t have to go through a metal detector.
Sorry to say that I've seen a number of ERs and never saw one with metal detectors. Hope never to see them either.

A guy that worked the gun counter at Colman's in Canton ~40 yrs ago was named "Tank".

Just answer no and move on, if you respond with a “why” or “f*** off” or non of your business, that’s pretty much saying yes you have a pistol on you

Tank, Cowboy, Cocaine Richie aka Twice a Year Richie, Sleepy, Spooky, Deacon, Knucklehead Phil, Reckless, Jim from Colorado, Dancer, Banker, Panhead, Cajun - the list goes on.

I know Tank's legal name, a couple of the others - nope. And I've known most of them for thirty or forty years.

My father lives in Connecticut and had an incident where an ambulance was called to his home. He had to go to the hospital and was told to collect a few things for his assumed stay. He picked up his NRA labelled duffel bag and put a few things in it. Hours later at Yale New Haven Hospital security was called to his room. He does not know by whom. They told him they needed to search his bag for weapons. He had none and was very annoyed

Just answer no and move on, if you respond with a “why” or “f*** off” or non of your business, that’s pretty much saying yes you have a pistol on you

If it isn't any of your business, then I don't owe you an answer. If I don't owe you an answer, I certainly don't owe you an honest answer. If telling you MYOFB gives you the answer that is none of your business, you can bite me.

They have no sense of humor;

long time a go and to cut a long story short, I had gotten a cut on my face and it got infected.
The side of my face had swollen like a ballon and closed my left eye.

Doc took one look at me and sent me to Milford ER, my wife who is a very small Asian lady drove me.

When they asked me if I felt safe, I said look at me, my wife did this because I forgot to take the garbage out.

They asked her to leave and were not amused when I told them I was joking.

They have no sense of humor;

long time a go and to cut a long story short, I had gotten a cut on my face and it got infected.
The side of my face had swollen like a ballon and closed my left eye.

Doc took one look at me and sent me to Milford ER, my wife who is a very small Asian lady drove me.

When they asked me if I felt safe, I said look at me, my wife did this because I forgot to take the garbage out.

They asked her to leave and were not amused when I told them I was joking.

My wife and I were arguing one day while she was driving. I forget about what, we've been together 18 years, we have arguments. That day I was pissed and she was pretty upset. She didn't pay any attention to the speed limit and got pulled over. Cop rolls up and she's crying. Takes one look at her, one look at me and "Miss are you ok?". I say "she's fine, we're arguing". "Sir, I didn't ask you". Got it. I shut up.

He spoke to my wife for a couple of minutes, made sure she was okay, and then walked away. (No ticket by the way).

I've got the usual in my pockets - wallet, knife, flashlight, gun. I saw no need to mention this. He didn't ask and CT is NOT a "must declare" state, (South Carolina for example is).

My Wife went to the ER at Faulkner Hospital and they asked those questions with a twist. They asked her if EITHER OF US had any weapons on us. She told them no and I kept my mouth shut.

If you are brought in by ambulance they will likely strip you. But if you are ambulatory, they will give you a johnny and ask you to strip. So you can hide any weapons in your clothing. Sorry, your comment doesn't compute in most cases.

ETA: I don't think it smart to carry into an ER if you are the victim undergoing an exam however, just reporting that they won't "find it" if you do and you are ambulatory.

Yup, and I've attended workshops where they had us murder a raw potato with a paper straw too.

Sorry to say that I've seen a number of ERs and never saw one with metal detectors. Hope never to see them either.

A guy that worked the gun counter at Colman's in Canton ~40 yrs ago was named "Tank".

"If you are brought in by ambulance they will likely strip you. But if you are ambulatory, they will give you a johnny and ask you to strip. "

What makes you think that? I've had two ambulance rides in my life and nothing like that happened either time.

"If you are brought in by ambulance they will likely strip you. But if you are ambulatory, they will give you a johnny and ask you to strip. "

What makes you think that? I've had two ambulance rides in my life and nothing like that happened either time.

My weapon was found when they cut my leather off of me in the ambulance; I was unconscious at the time. Circumstances can vary.

And the ER in Savannah has a metal detector with security personnel at the door.

Back
Top Bottom