• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

“Weapons survey” at Mass Eye and Ear

If it isn't any of your business, then I don't owe you an answer. If I don't owe you an answer, I certainly don't owe you an honest answer. If telling you MYOFB gives you the answer that is none of your business, you can bite me.
Lol I guess but I will still just answer no on it

You don't have to answer any of those questions, you know that right?

OTOH, if you are going to have surgery or are there for some sort of procedure, it's prudent to secure your firearm in you vehicle or give it to someone you trust.

Unless their hospital security is different than all of the others I've dealt with over the years, they will not store or hold your firearm for you.

I was doing rotations in an ER 30 years ago and found a firearm on the patient. He was a grouchy old codger and didn't want to give it up. Nice S&W Model 64 3" that was a former Boston PD gun. I finally convinced him to hand it over to me and I called security to store it. They sh*t themselves and called the PD.

I was at Mass. Eye and Ear today in their ER, one of the questions right in with the “do you feel safe at home” and “was this work related” was, “do you have any weapons on you?”

f*** off?
None of your business?
No.

I didn’t ask what they’d do if the answer was, “yes.” Call security? Provide a lock box? Ask us to leave? Call the cops?

I wonder what they do when you say, “no”, but they catch you with one.

This is the first time I’ve ever heard this question. Is it new, or have I just not been an ER in a long time?

My usual (and honest) answer when the questions drift into lifestyle is: "I'm not comfortable answering lifestyle questions not directly relevant to diagnostics." Or words to that effect. I usually get that in before they ask about the guns.

"If you are brought in by ambulance they will likely strip you. But if you are ambulatory, they will give you a johnny and ask you to strip. "

What makes you think that? I've had two ambulance rides in my life and nothing like that happened either time.

The "stripping" occurs during a full trauma assessment.

If you appear generally banged up, or can't specifically say that "The only place I am hurt is ___", you may received a full trauma assessment where the EMT/Paramedic has to check everywhere for problems.

Medical issues (heart attack, stroke, diabetic issue, etc.) may involve exposing certain areas for procedures to be performed (EKG, Defib, etc.) or to look for clues as to why you are in the state you are in (track marks, medication patches, etc.) but generally that is it.

Unconscious or confused level of consciousness will generally warrant the full trauma assessment.

"If you are brought in by ambulance they will likely strip you. But if you are ambulatory, they will give you a johnny and ask you to strip. "

What makes you think that? I've had two ambulance rides in my life and nothing like that happened either time.
If you are alert and able to undress yourself they will let you do it in priivacy (such as it exists in an ER) but if unconscious/confused/hallucinating/combative/etc. they will usually do it to you.

You don't have to answer any of those questions, you know that right?

OTOH, if you are going to have surgery or are there for some sort of procedure, it's prudent to secure your firearm in you vehicle or give it to someone you trust.

Unless their hospital security is different than all of the others I've dealt with over the years, they will not store or hold your firearm for you.

I was doing rotations in an ER 30 years ago and found a firearm on the patient. He was a grouchy old codger and didn't want to give it up. Nice S&W Model 64 3" that was a former Boston PD gun. I finally convinced him to hand it over to me and I called security to store it. They sh*t themselves and called the PD.
Realize that most hospital security that I've seen are unarmed, not sworn LEOs and probably don't have an LTC. There is no legal exemption for them to handle/store your gun for you in those cases, nor would I ever want them to do so.

It's probably pointless to point out that hiding a pistol in your underpants (where the underpants are not currently upon your body) would be against the law, unless said underpants resemble this:

535d061ab20825ceb0c47b73de8092e4.jpg

Or you could just "prison carry" the item.

And by the way, if any of you little maniacs decide to visit the ER wearing a literal suit of armor, PLEASE let us know in advance so we can film it for Youtube!

If it isn't any of your business, then I don't owe you an answer. If I don't owe you an answer, I certainly don't owe you an honest answer. If telling you MYOFB gives you the answer that is none of your business, you can bite me.
Easy, tiger.

FWIW, having seen a physician at Mass Eye & Ear for regular visits (for an ear problem) the question was not being asked as of about 2-3 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom