“Unregister” Antique rifle

Say I wanted to buy a pre 1898 rifle from seller but when seller purchased, they did so on EFA10 not knowing antique laws and now that’s the only way they’re willing to sell it. Is it forever in the system? Would it have to go out of state to become free again? I know I could say I sold it but last known owner on record would be me. Maybe not a big deal but takes away the allure of the “antique” firearm.
Thanks

Say I wanted to buy a pre 1898 rifle from seller but when seller purchased, they did so on EFA10 not knowing antique laws and now that’s the only way they’re willing to sell it. Is it forever in the system? Would it have to go out of state to become free again? I know I could say I sold it but last known owner on record would be me. Maybe not a big deal but takes away the allure of the “antique” firearm.
Thanks
If you want it buy it, let the seller EFFA10 it.
I dont think an antigue being FA10 changes what tou can do with it legally if you decide to sell it?

Yes its in there forever in your name.
Yup, and if he bought it on an e-FA10 then it’s also there forever in his name. FA10’s never die, they are just transaction records that the FRB keeps forever.

It's an M91 Mosin. Consensus is what I thought but wanted to make sure.
Already lost 2 boats this year, and all the lakes are frozen. How does that work?
Nothing is "cooler" than a Flobert other than stag grips on your revolver.
Technically its the original ghost gun, not the new one.
Paranoia, yes maybe. And easier to sell if I were to do so. Also better resale value
Thanks for your input.

Already lost 2 boats this year, and all the lakes are frozen. How does that work?
Paranoia, yes maybe. And easier to sell if I were to do so. Also better resale value
Thanks for your input.

If you don't have the pedestal sink that goes with it, the Flobert rifle is worthless.

Thanks for your input.
Borrow my ice auger and you lost it ice fishing!😉

the FA10 database is write only. Once a gun is "registered" to you it is there forever. it does not matter if you sell it in the future, it will show up under you. It might also show up under 17 other people, but dont think you can ever "unregister" it.

Whether it is "registered" or not, you follow the actual law when transacting. he should not efa10 it when he transfers to you, just a bill of sale. If he insists you get to decide if you want to proceed. Recording transactions is the responsibility of the seller and never the buyer. If he does it wrong, it is not on you.

One of the many ways you can lawfully possess a firearm that the state does not know about is when the seller screws up or does not do the FA10. Not your problem.

the FA10 database is write only. Once a gun is "registered" to you it is there forever. it does not matter if you sell it in the future, it will show up under you. It might also show up under 17 other people, but dont think you can ever "unregister" it.

Whether it is "registered" or not, you follow the actual law when transacting. he should not efa10 it when he transfers to you, just a bill of sale. If he insists you get to decide if you want to proceed. Recording transactions is the responsibility of the seller and never the buyer. If he does it wrong, it is not on you.

One of the many ways you can lawfully possess a firearm that the state does not know about is when the seller screws up or does not do the FA10. Not your problem.

You might know the answer to this - I always wondered why there is the Antique option on the eFA-10 screen when registering a transfer. Any idea why?? It strikes me as being like having a clutch pedal in a car with an automatic transmission.

Is this true? I had a chance to buy a handgun from a widow whose husband's LTC was from 1971. I passed because I would not have had the ability to eFA-10 it. Mistake? How could a dead guy register a sale?

Is this true? I had a chance to buy a handgun from a widow whose husband's LTC was from 1971. I passed because I would not have had the ability to eFA-10 it. Mistake? How could a dead guy register a sale?
That would need to be done at an FFL, you can't do that directly from a non-LTC holder unless it was an antique.

Yes true, BUT, they still have to have a valid LTC. You need to insure they have an LTC that is not obviously invalid or expired and your responsibility ends. If you read the relevant MGL it puts the burden on the seller to record the transaction.

So your example you would have needed to use an FFL

You might know the answer to this - I always wondered why there is the Antique option on the eFA-10 screen when registering a transfer. Any idea why?? It strikes me as being like having a clutch pedal in a car with an automatic transmission.
That is a recent addition to the eFA-10 form. Just like the option for inheritance demanding a valid LTC # (not required by MGL) and the option for "if you moved in with guns and WANT to register them". Keep in mind that FRB is a datacenter . . . more data justify their budget increase requests, so law be damned, ask the sheep to register everything even when not required by MGLs.
That would need to be done at an FFL, you can't do that directly from a non-LTC holder unless it was an antique.
. . . or if the gun was willed to you.

I'll see if my FFL is willing to take it in and let it die on his books. But yes, the seller refuses a paperless transfer. I can't blame him though as is the basis for my question, I wouldn't want to be the last known buyer if I then sold it to someone else. He didn't know the laws when he bought it initially. Thank you everyone for your input.

I'll see if my FFL is willing to take it in and let it die on his books. But yes, the seller refuses a paperless transfer. I can't blame him though as is the basis for my question, I wouldn't want to be the last known buyer if I then sold it to someone else. He didn't know the laws when he bought it initially. Thank you everyone for your input.
A dealer won't put an antique on his books, BATFE does not want to see antiques in the Bound Book.

How about a C&R. Is a C&R an antique that needs to be in an FFL03 Bound Book?
Collectors Firearms did an FA10 on a pre 1898 S&W Model 1 antique, they said it was required.

Can it be transferred to one of those dead voters 🤔

Last edited:
Collectors Firearms did an FA10 on a pre 1898 S&W Model 1 antique, they said it was required.

A C&R usually is not an antique. Over 50 yrs doesn't make it an antique per MGL/Fed Law (1898/1899 dates).

I walked out of Collector's with a Trapdoor (1891) with strictly a bill of sale a few years ago.

If it's C&R, it's not an antique. If it's an antique, it's not C&R.

An antique is anything manufactured before January 1, 1899, and is not a "firearm" under the definition of the Gun Control Act of 1968.

A C&R is a "firearm" under GCA '68, thus cannot be an antique.

Back
Top Bottom