“C G Bales” SxS?

Hello,

I was in my local gun shop the other day and I noticed they had a side by side percussion shotgun with the name “C G Bales” on the lock plate. This was the only marking on the gun. I wish I had thought to take pictures at the time, but there wasn’t really anything else of note, although the bores were different gauges. Smoothbore, of course. I did some searching when I got home and the only thing I found with the name c g bales was a gunsmith in South Africa. Anyone else heard of this maker before?

Found this...http://forums.nitroexpress.com/printthread.php?Cat=0&Board=doubles&main=212816&type=thread

According to Barry Berkovitch’s book: The Cape Gunsmith, CG Bales was registered as a gun dealer and gunsmith in both Durban and Pietermaritzburg (Natal) during the periods: 1869 to 1879 (Durban) and 1873 to 1879 (Pietermaritzburg). In fact, the CG Bales Company were general dealers, who also happened to sell and fix guns.

I have looked around on the Internet and have found a few guns marked with the CG Bales name. One is a re built Snider; listed as a punt gun (an obvious error). But, looking at the picture, this gun can either be a military style Snider that was re stocked (either here or in England) and may or may not be; smooth bored. If the latter, then the gun was definitely intended for the native trade; for the authorities were loathe to sell them rifled arms. If rifled however, this would signify a rebuilt, surplus military arm released, and converted, for the civilian market.

Also of interest: There are guns marked: GW Bales, Ipswich and Colchester, a gunsmith (dealer?) from England. Could this be a relation?

Other records that I have been able to trace, was the embarkation list featuring one: CG Bales who embarked from Durban, on the RMS Natal, onward to Southampton on March 24, 1871. Perhaps Mr. Bales went ‘back home’ to visit kin, or buy some stock?

If I may digress for a little bit here:

Except for the war years (and after) of the twentieth century, South Africa never ‘made’ guns; insomuch that we manufactured locks, barrels and/or actions. We were a British Colony from 1815 onwards (Cape and Natal); and also the Boer Republics from 1901 onwards. Prior to this we were under the control of the Dutch East India (DEA) Company (Cape); which forbade the private ownership of and trade in guns; these being issued to deserving ‘Burgers’ (free citizens) from the DEA armories.

After the fall of the DEA Company in 1815, the first gunsmiths set up shop (ex DEA armory employees) at the Cape and they basically re built guns from parts scavenged from what was available locally. After the British took over in 1815, parts and components were imported from England from which guns were assembled and sold under the name of the gunsmith. After the abolition of slavery at the Cape, it became uneconomic to build guns locally; especially when these gunsmiths had to compete with the flood of cheap imports available from England.

What then happened was that these gunsmiths (and dealers) formed ‘sweetheart’ relationships with manufacturers and wholesalers in England and imported guns from there; but marked with their own trading name; like CG Bales. So we find that the iconic Botha gunsmith family at the Cape had a relationship with Greener of Birmingham and imported guns from this maker; but marked: JSF Botha; WC Botha; JSF Botha (II) and PJ Botha. Similarly, Hayton of Grahamstown had a deal with Wesley Richards, Colt and others; and imported these guns; often having two names; the original manufacturer and the re seller; stamped on the gun.

These guns we refer to here as “Traders”; meaning: Guns bought in the trade but marketed and sold under a different trading name. This tern is not meant in a derogatory manner at all for; some of the guns imported under these ‘trading’ names were of the best quality available – anywhere; while others were cheap guns meant for the trade; much like the trade guns imported into the America’s for sale to the indigenous population.

Notwithstanding, these gunsmiths and dealers continued to repair guns for the local trade; often using parts ordered in from England. In fact, I have a small collection of these parts that date back to the mid 1800’s; which I still use to repair/restore originals from that era. What was well a thriving industry here; was stock making; either from imported stock blanks, or from indigenous woods.

Back to your double:

I am about 100% sure that your gun is a ‘trader’. To establish its true identity, you need to pull the barrels and examine the proof marks on the underside. Most times, you’ll also find the initials of the original manufacturer (for instance: Greener’s guns are stamped with a ‘GG’ near the proof marks.) Other manufacturers stamped their full names on the guns. In addition, examine the locks. These would sometimes carry maker’s marks which can assist in identifying the gun.

However: The Birmingham gun trade was all about specialization. Small companies made components which they in turn, sold to big companies; who then assembled guns under their own trade names.

If you can establish the name of the original builder/supplier, then the value of the gun would be dependent on the quality associated with that maker’s name and off course, its condition, desirability etc.

What I can say is this: Double rifles were never of poor or ‘second’ quality; at least not those imported into South Africa during the nineteenth century. Some shotguns were but never; at least in my experience; double rifles.

Back
Top Bottom