‘The Big One Is Coming’ and the U.S. Military Isn’t Ready

View attachment 683821
She's just so cute in this photo.... only kidding - wife would kill me if I posted her photo but this isn't too far off the mark.
I actually did post my wife in another thread (with her permission) and NES was complimentary, classy and respectful in response, without exception. Made my wife's night actually.

there are only 2 countries that can attack continental US - Canada and Mexico. Not my job to assess the probability for either of them to amass enough ground troops for an invasion, whatever a reason for such invasion can be.

and all the rest of military asshats that still talk about wars across the globe - they should shut up and start maintaining security of the border of their own country.
and we are already being attacked, daily, across our southern border.

I don't think the message is "Mainland USA" is under threat of invasion, this rhetoric is about China and other countries making moves in the world without fear of the United States World Police factor.

Ofcourse there are weirdos that actually do think a mainland USA invasion is imminent but I group them in the same category as the rest of the hyperbole conspiracy pumping lunatics

I don't think the message is "Mainland USA" is under threat of invasion, this rhetoric is about China and other countries making moves in the world without fear of the United States World Police factor.

Ofcourse there are weirdos that actually do think a mainland USA invasion is imminent but I group them in the same category as the rest of the hyperbole conspiracy pumping lunatics

When military people talk about "deterrence" in the strategic sense, like Admiral Richard is, they're talking about our ability to discourage other countries from trying to attack us militarily. That's the sense in which he means it.

Neither he nor the OP has given me any reason yet why China is a threat to militarily attack the United States.

When military people talk about "deterrence" in the strategic sense, like Admiral Richard is, they're talking about our ability to discourage other countries from trying to attack us militarily. That's the sense in which he means it.

Neither he nor the OP has given me any sense yet that China is a threat to militarily attack the United States.
But that doesn't necessarily mean attacking mainland USA does it?

I don't know for sure but could it mean
( Hypothetical ) China decides to move on Taiwan and during the initial attack phase they strike our wsrships in the area?

Of NK attacks SK and hits our bases with missiles?

Hypothetical but could this deterrent talk mean that they are no longer afraid to hit our Militarily while going after an objective ( non mainland USA )

But that doesn't necessarily mean attacking mainland USA does it?

I don't know for sure but could it mean
( Hypothetical ) China decides to move on Taiwan and during the initial attack phase they strike our wsrships in the area?

Of NK attacks SK and hits our bases with missiles?

Hypothetical but could this deterrent talk mean that they are no longer afraid to hit our Militarily while going after an objective ( non mainland USA )

Sure, but to what end? I posed that in my first response to this thread, that I find an invasion of the US by China horrifically unlikely. You'd need to spell out for me how that would occur, and I'd take a lot of convincing.

But when the head of US Strategic Command says "the big one is coming," what else is that supposed to mean? Certainly more than just a glancing blow at a US patrol ship, yes? I think he means it to be interpreted as "a major attack." And at the end of the day, it's not in China's interests to attack the US militarily, in any context. Not by a LONG shot.

Sure, but to what end? I posed that in my first response to this thread, that I find an invasion of the US by China horrifically unlikely. You'd need to spell out for me how that would occur, and I'd take a lot of convincing.

But when the head of US Strategic Command says "the big one is coming," what else is that supposed to mean? Certainly more than just a glancing blow at a US patrol ship, yes? I think he means it to be interpreted as "a major attack." And at the end of the day, it's not in China's interests to attack the US militarily, in any context. Not by a LONG shot.
I agree 100%, I guess I read into it the wrong way

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last invasion of the US by a foreign military power was 210 years ago.

That isn't going to happen.

Who said China was going to attack California?

So the Admiral is just a China hating warmonger?

When Emperor Xi assumed power in 2012 he told Barry the US could keep the Western Hemisphere as our Sphere of Influence, but the Pacific was China's.

China has been fortifying Pacific islands with their forces much like the Japanese Military did in the 1930's.

Emperor Xi has promised to "reunite" Taiwan with the Mainland which will trigger a regional war in the Pacific, his timeline is no later than 2030.

If the US Military along with Japan, Australia, SK, NZ, India, etc. choose to come to Taiwan's aid and honor their commitment you will see a war in the Pacific that will make The Pacific War in WWII look like a skirmish.

Emperor Xi has stated China will replace the US as the World's Superpower and force the Western World to reform from a Western Style Democracy to a Communist Style Dictatorship led by the CCP. If their invasion of Taiwan is successful the Dominos will fall, Japan, SK, Vietnam, Australia, etc. and then he shuts us out of the Pacific. Global trade is gone for the US and no more cheap products from China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, India, etc.

These are Emperor Xi's promises to the Chinese Leadership, not my paranoia nor my opinion. When your mortal enemy tells you he intends to destroy you a wise man will listen and prepare for the inevitable confrontation.

The US Military can either prepare for confrontation/War or withdraw from the Pacific and cede it to Emperor Xi. The choice is ours; Emperor Xi has already made his decision.

Emperor Xi has stated China will replace the US as the World's Superpower and force the Western World to reform from a Western Style Democracy to a Communist Style Dictatorship led by the CCP. If their invasion of Taiwan is successful the Dominos will fall, Japan, SK, Vietnam, Australia, etc. and then he shuts us out of the Pacific. Global trade is gone for the US and no more cheap products from China, Vietnam, Bangladesh, India, etc.

I'll take this statement as big boasting propaganda. Xi knows this is impossible. Without the influx of US dollars for all the cheap crap they export China will be dead in the water. It's one thing to boast world domination, it's quite another to actually succeed in it when the whole world depends on each other for good, services and energy.

When your mortal enemy tells you he intends to destroy you a wise man will listen and prepare for the inevitable confrontation.

...how? How is he going to do this? How will we be "destroyed" militarily by China?

And, again, why? Why would China do this? How is it in their best interest? Nevermind what Xi says; politicians say a lot of things.

Why should I fear what the Wall Street Journal wants me to fear? And what do they gain if I do? THOSE are the questions you should be asking yourself, OP.

Well... Pancho Villa...

Yeah. We don't get invaded much. There are two good reasons for that, and they're both wet. We're very lucky we have them.
And I thought you were a student of history Picton? Where did I or the Admiral predict an invasion of Mainland USA.
This isn't the 1930's, Isolationism doesn't work anymore in the Global Economy. What do you think will happen to the US economy if China prevents us from accessing Asian markets? Manufacturing? Products?

One more time, these are Emperor Xi's promises to his lackey's just like Little Puty for years told the West he would "take back" Russian territory.

China has been building it's Military up to confront the West for many years, they don't need a Million Man Military to take out Taiwan, Japan, Australia, etc.

And I thought you were a student of history Picton? Where did I or the Admiral predict an invasion of Mainland USA.
This isn't the 1930's, Isolationism doesn't work anymore in the Global Economy. What do you think will happen to the US economy if China prevents us from accessing Asian markets? Manufacturing? Products?

One more time, these are Emperor Xi's promises to his lackey's just like Little Puty for years told the West he would "take back" Russian territory.

China has been building it's Military up to confront the West for many years, they don't need a Million Man Military to take out Taiwan, Japan, Australia, etc.

Scroll up. I'll wait.

I'll take this statement as big boasting propaganda. Xi knows this is impossible. Without the influx of US dollars for all the cheap crap they export China will be dead in the water. It's one thing to boast world domination, it's quite another to actually succeed in it when the whole world depends on each other for good, services and energy.
Well he just had the German President travel to Beijing and kiss his ass, how did that work with Germany depending on Putin for their fossil fuels?

Where did I or the Admiral state China was going to attack the US Mainland? I'll wait for your reply.

He's the head of US Strategic Command. In that context, what do you think "The Big One" is? Did he define it?

...how? How is he going to do this? How will we be "destroyed" militarily by China?

And, again, why? Why would China do this? How is it in their best interest? Nevermind what Xi says; politicians say a lot of things.

Why should I fear what the Wall Street Journal wants me to fear? And what do they gain if I do? THOSE are the questions you should be asking yourself, OP.
I will say that freedom of navigation in the South China Sea for trade/commerce and fishing rights there are very important globally. China using military force to seize control of territory that isn’t actually theirs in that sea, in order to control freedom of movement and fishing, is very detrimental to U.S. national security. Not from an invasion standpoint, but economic and food security.

I will say that freedom of navigation in the South China Sea for trade/commerce and fishing rights there are very important globally. China using military force to seize control of territory that isn’t actually theirs in that sea, in order to control freedom of movement and fishing, is very detrimental to U.S. national security. Not from an invasion standpoint, but economic and food security.

I would not disagree. Is that what you think this Admiral Richards was referring to? If so, I'm into that. Freedom of the seas is our oldest casus belli.

I just think this admiral, and by extension the WSJ, and by further extension this OP, are fearmongering.

I would not disagree. Is that what you think this Admiral Richards was referring to? If so, I'm into that. Freedom of the seas is our oldest casus belli.

I just think this admiral, and by extension the WSJ, and by further extension this OP, are fearmongering.
Maybe, I’m not entirely sure.

It sounds to me like he’s saying we are weaker and project that weakness, so China is more likely to conduct a military attack on us (but I doubt he is talking about mainland U.S.). when we push too far (in their mind) to stop their territorial expansion. The newest Missile Defense Strategy’s main focus is on China attacking Guam, for example.

I’m thinking of a Pacific war, started from China attacking us over our protecting U.S./Canadian/Danish interests in the arctic or protecting international interests in the South Pacific.

Said war could then involve a demolished U.S. Navy because of the atrophy that the Admiral is warning about. It wouldn’t be an invasion of the U.S., but a destruction of our ability to protect our interests in the maritime domain or our ability to project our forces globally. It would involve massive economic hardships domestically and cyber attacks that would target every step of logistics, from ports to potentially the guy who runs a small business supplying parts for a defense program. Maybe his bank account gets emptied or he gets swatted, all from cyber efforts to reduce his focus and ability to support the war effort.

I think that is “the big one” he’s talking about.

Last edited:
the united states was a force to be reckoned with in granada...i long for those days again. the marines making a beach landing while the press corp held up score cards a la america's got talent. the good ole days.

Emperor Xi will order an attack on Taiwan when he feels he has the forces, if the US Military comes to Taiwan's aid he will take out Guam.

If Japan aids Taiwan he will have NK launch missiles into Japan, why do you think NK has been launching missiles over Japan recently?

Xi is financing these launches because NK doesn't have the cash to do it and it's a warning to Japan to mind their own business. He knows the US signed a deal with Australia to deliver Nuclear Subs, which pissed off the French, but that's 10 yrs down the road and he must accomplish his mission before that.

One more time, always believe your enemy when he/she tells you they want to destroy you and prepare.
Instead of attacking me try reading Emperor Xi's writings and promises to the Chinese Politburo during his Coronation last month.

Here are key excerpts.

"President Xi Jinping delivered a wide-ranging speech Sunday laying out the Communist Party’s agenda for China over the next five years, covering everything from Taiwan to tech policy.

Here are the key takeaways:

Foreign Policy

Xi: “China’s international influence, appeal and power to shape the world has significantly increased.”

“Confronted with drastic changes in the international landscape, we have maintained firm strategic resolve and shown a fighting spirit. Throughout these endeavors, we have safeguarded China's dignity and core interests and kept ourselves well-positioned for pursuing development and ensuring security.”

The context: Xi declared China would “standi tall and firm in the East” at the last congress in 2017, departing from former leader Deng Xiaoping’s “hide and bide” strategy. That shift along with Beijing’s moves to crush dissent in Hong Kong and Xinjiang, lack of transparency on Covid’s origins, partnership with Russia and more aggressive posture toward Taiwan and the South China Sea, has put China on a collision course with the West."

Taiwan

Xi: “We will continue to strive for peaceful reunification with the greatest sincerely and the upmost effort, but we will never promise to renounce the use of force, and we reserve the option of taking all measures necessary. The wheels of history are rolling on towards China's reunification and the rejuvenation of the Chinese nation. The complete reunification of our country must be realized and it can without a doubt be realized.”

The context: Xi reaffirmed the party line on Taiwan, one of Beijing’s main points of acrimony with the US. Beijing sees the self-governing island as its territory and has ramped up military pressure over the past year. President Joe Biden has repeatedly said the US would come to the democracy’s aid if attacked, marking a shift in the policy of “strategic ambiguity” that guided US-China relations for decades — even as the White House insists nothing has changed."

The context: Xi declared China would “standi tall and firm in the East” at the last congress in 2017, departing from former leader Deng Xiaoping’s “hide and bide” strategy. That shift along with Beijing’s moves to crush dissent in Hong Kong and Xinjiang, lack of transparency on Covid’s origins, partnership with Russia and more aggressive posture toward Taiwan and the South China Sea, has put China on a collision course with the West.

Military
Xi: “We will intensify military training under combat conditions across the board to see that our armed forces can fight. We will innovate new military strategic guidance and develop strategies and tactics for people’s war, establish a strong system of strategic deterrence, increase the proportion of new domain forces with new combat capabilities, and intensifying military training under combat conditions
The context: Xi has vowed to modernize the once infantry-dominated military by 2027. To achieve that goal, the People’s Liberation Army has undergone tremendous organizational changes and hardware upgrades. The ground force has been trimmed, while other services including navy and rocket force have gained prominence."

Like I said, Emperor Xi's words, not mine.

Last edited:

U.S. Allies Seek to Stop Former Military Pilots From Helping China​

Australia to review policies after investigation into training of Chinese aircrews raises concerns, following U.K.​

From Today's WSJ.

"SYDNEY—Australia will review its rules aimed at deterring former military personnel from aiding foreign adversaries, as U.S. allies grow concerned that China has recruited Western pilots and benefited from their technical expertise.

Australian Defense Minister Richard Marles said an investigation into whether former Australian personnel had provided training to China had raised concerns that justified a deeper examination of existing regulations. He declined to say whether any individual Australians had helped China, but said some cases remained under investigation.

“It’s really important that we have the most robust framework possible that is in place to protect Australia’s information and protect our secrets,” Mr. Marles said on Wednesday.
Key U.S. allies have expressed worries in recent weeks that China, which the Biden administration views as the greatest threat to American security, was trying to lure former pilots and erode the West’s military advantage. Last month, the U.K. Defense Ministry said it would take steps, including through legislation, to deter and penalize former military pilots who helped train the Chinese military.

The U.S. is also seeking to prosecute former pilots who may have helped China. Earlier this week, the Justice Department said Shapour Moinian, a former U.S. Army helicopter pilot who then worked for defense contractors, was sentenced to 20 months in prison for acting as an agent of the Chinese government and accepting money from its representatives in exchange for aviation-related information.

In a faxed reply to questions Wednesday, China’s Foreign Ministry effectively declined to comment, saying it wasn’t familiar with the situation.

The Biden administration recently released a new defense strategy that called for a concerted effort to deter Beijing in the coming decades. That prompted a response from Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian who said the paper was “driven ostensibly by a Cold War zero-sum mentality” and that China’s development strengthened world peace.

The U.S. and its allies rely in part on air power to deter China from taking more aggressive moves in the Indo-Pacific, and air maneuvers would likely be a key feature of any Chinese effort to invade Taiwan, which Beijing claims as its own. Dozens of Chinese aircraft were involved in operations that simulated a blockade of Taiwan in August, Taiwan’s Defense Ministry said at the time.

By working with former Western military pilots, even through civilian training schools, foreign adversaries such as China could glean information regarding standard operating procedures and doctrines about how Western air forces are run. Although current laws make it illegal to disclose state secrets, teaching foreign pilots how to fly may not be considered classified and could fall into a gray area, some defense experts said.

“It really to me sounds like they’re just tightening an existing loophole,” said Victor Abramowicz, a former Australian defense department employee who worked in intelligence and strategic areas and is now principal at Ostoya Consulting. “They might be aware of people who are considering job offers now, and this is saying to them, don’t get too close, because laws are going to change.”

Any effort by China or other foreign rivals to recruit British and Australian pilots would be concerning for U.S. defense officials. Last year, all three countries signed a security pact called Aukus that covers a range of military cooperation. U.S. troops train in northern Australia and the U.S. is investing in more military infrastructure in the Indo-Pacific region, including airfields that would become key in any military conflict.

One flight school, the Test Flying Academy of South Africa, has previously promoted its deep links with China. According to its website, the school has helped with aircraft testing in China since 2003, and in 2010 it created an academy in South Africa to train Chinese commercial airline pilots. A section of the website describing how the school also provides training for military pilots, including advanced fighter tactics and weapons instruction, was removed in October, according to cached versions of the site.

In a statement, the school said none of its training involves classified tactics or other information, and none of its trainers are in possession of legally or operationally sensitive information relating to the national-security interests of any country.

The school says it has been in contact with the U.K. Defense Ministry for years about its work, and the U.K. side hadn’t previously raised concerns.

In recent weeks, Australian authorities detained Daniel Edmund Duggan, who according to the website of his former company used to be a pilot for the U.S. Marines. More recently, he did work with an aviation consulting firm in China, according to his LinkedIn profile.

The U.S. requested that Australia arrest Mr. Duggan, there is a U.S. warrant for his arrest and the U.S. could seek to have Mr. Duggan extradited, Mr. Duggan’s lawyer, Dennis Miralis, told reporters last week in Sydney after a brief court hearing. Mr. Miralis said at the time he hadn’t seen an indictment from the U.S., but that Mr. Duggan denies breaching any laws.

U.S. officials have declined to comment on Mr. Duggan’s case."

—Alastair Gale contributed to this article.

Back
Top Bottom