‘I Just Can’t Stand By’: American Veterans Join the Fight in Ukraine

I would be more proud if the motivation started here and stayed here. We have problems in this country that are well past the need for fixing. Charity starts at home. No sense dying for UKR when your freedoms are getting stolen at home while you're away.
You probably would have been against fighting hitler because he wasn't after us.

americans have a history of jumping in and helping early in trouble spots. the lafayette escadrille in wwI, flying tigers in wwII, as well as hundreds of men leaving america and joining the raf in britain or canadian armed forces knowing they'd go to europe. some history gets forgotten sadly.

I think the main point about this thread is that some Americans think that it is something they should do for others. We call it Selflessness.

They are not saying "Send American troops." They are saying "I will go. Send Me..."

I'd be proud to know Men such as these. ~Enbloc

And I heard the voice of Lord saying: Whom shall I send and who will go for Us? And... I said: Here am I , send me!

This is a period of easily manipulated images and heavy propaganda from both sides. Unless you are there, and maybe not even then so, it is near impossible to tell what is going on, who is "good" and who is "bad". ALL I know for sure is that all of the politicians, actors, news sources, tech elite and athletes who were telling me how awful I was for not getting the vax and for voting for Trump are now 100% behind UKR. And for that among other things, I'm staying out of it. We are not 1940s mostly united US vs Hitler. I am not anti-military.

I would be more proud if the motivation started here and stayed here. We have problems in this country that are well past the need for fixing. Charity starts at home. No sense dying for UKR when your freedoms are getting stolen at home while you're away.

The Hero's journey has a lot more appeal to young warriors than the Lawyer's journey.

americans have a history of jumping in and helping early in trouble spots. the lafayette escadrille in wwI, flying tigers in wwII, as well as hundreds of men leaving america and joining the raf in britain or canadian armed forces knowing they'd go to europe. some history gets forgotten sadly.

Attachments

• C598D902-ABCE-471D-B5E1-7C94EB61661B.jpeg
    C598D902-ABCE-471D-B5E1-7C94EB61661B.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 16
Sadly a lot of guys come back home and never really feel like they fit in anymore in the world, so they re-up for more deployments because that’s the only place they feel at home anymore. This has been happening since time/war waited for man.

Sadly a lot of guys come back home and never really feel like they fit in anymore in the world, so they re-up for more deployments because that’s the only place they feel at home anymore. This has been happening since time/war waited for man.

This.

A whole bunch of people who came back from Vietnam didn't feel like they fitted in when they came home. Some of them chose to head off for places like Rhodesia to find that camaraderie and adrenaline rush they'd only felt in combat.

A whole lot of the people who fought in the International Brigades during the Spanish Civil War were Americans too, mostly American leftists. The early '30s had been a rough time.

Not much we can do here. Our politicians give lip service about helping Ukraine but are not willing to commit anything. How about sending an Iron Dome type system? Or some A-10's to take out those lined-up Russian convoys?

We could take a hit and demand a boycott of Russian oil and gas. I'm already suffering, with a minimum wage and long commute, but I'd still agree to take the hit if it helped to cripple Putin's moves.

Not much we can do here. Our politicians give lip service about helping Ukraine but are not willing to commit anything. How about sending an Iron Dome type system? Or some A-10's to take out those lined-up Russian convoys?

We could take a hit and demand a boycott of Russian oil and gas. I'm already suffering, with a minimum wage and long commute, but I'd still agree to take the hit if it helped to cripple Putin's moves.
Direct involvement by the US military or Nato will lead to a full scale war w/Russia....for what exactly? What are the USA's national interests, aside from Hunter Biden's paycheck? The Ukraine is one step higher on the corruption index for Europe than Russia (link)

The US is still buying Russian petroleum right-f'n-now...every day we are sending hard dollars over to Russia to help fund this invasion

POTUS has killed the Keystone pipeline, cancelled all new gas / oil leases and is buying Russian oil.....while strongly considering purchases of Iranian oil. These are not serious people and they dont give a flying f'k about the Ukraine...this is an oppty to talk tough and try to rally the US population around an external "threat" and distract the voters enough to avoid a blowout next November

Traditionally, the US populace rallies around a wartime President...and FJB needs every last approval point he can get

Those Americans that are going to the Ukraine to fight can do so as long as they are not as recruited or hired while still in the United States. I still hold the view that if they want to fight for freedom they can get involved in their hometown / state races for elected office.

Re-read my post. They have assets they can possibly send without providing direct air-cover ("no fly zone") and getting us involved with boots-on-the-ground/planes-in-the-air.

ETA: Glad some of us can go and provide assistance. Some are better served in office; some doing something more directly.

Re-read my post. They have assets they can possibly send without providing direct air-cover ("no fly zone") and getting us involved with boots-on-the-ground/planes-in-the-air.

Iron Dome isn't ours to send.

A-10s require pilots trained in how to use their unique weapons mix effectively. We have those pilots, Ukraine does not.

Deeper involvement in this war is not what we need. We're doing plenty. At the end of the day, Ukraine will stand or fall based on Ukrainian resistance combined with Russian failures. This is their national test. If they can't stand up against Russia now, they never will.

Iron Dome isn't ours to send.

A-10s require pilots trained in how to use their unique weapons mix effectively. We have those pilots, Ukraine does not.

Deeper involvement in this war is not what we need. We're doing plenty. At the end of the day, Ukraine will stand or fall based on Ukrainian resistance combined with Russian failures. This is their national test. If they can't stand up against Russia now, they never will.
The the Ukrainian's have already shown the Russian invaders the door.... Don't understand your problem helping them out ? No-one can predict the out come, but I'm firm on standing on the side of freedom. Yes Ukraine is a mess but the people have stepped in and spoke....Nyet

Back
Top Bottom