‘I have a weapon:’ Armed homeowner greets burglar at the door

The victim was sleeping in his living room at about 1:45 a.m. on May 7, when he was woken up by sounds that were later determined to be a man forcing open the front door to the home on Leisure Lane in Allen Township. The 54-year-old homeowner grabbed his firearm and yelled at the burglar, “I have a weapon,” state police said. The burglar paused in the doorway, with one foot in the home and one foot out, then ran away.

He could have shot the guy after he got in.

The home owner would have been taken to jail and have his guns confiscated.

Thousands spent on lawyers and a civil case from the dead guys family.

Maybe the home owner made the right choice.
In mass your vignette is absolutely true.
Not true for all states.
I remember an event in ky where an older feller shot two intruders with an old 22 rifle......one died.....and was never even shown the back seat of a cruiser.

Burglary detured,no shots fired. Isn't that the scenario one would want,the only damage was the front door and his insurance will cover the repairs. There's a quote from some organization that states the mere appearance of a firearm is enough to deescate a situation without a shot being fired,from the NRA's Armed Citizen page I think.

Not true for all states.
I remember an event in ky where an older feller shot two intruders with an old 22 rifle......one died.....and was never even shown the back seat of a cruiser.

Well, for one part of it, not even in mass, this nostrum of "civil liability, dowanna is going to sue you for shooting her son that attacked you with a gun/knife/etc" is pure ayoob glue fume sniffer stuff, and regardless of how much cash he makes writing about it, doesn't come into play in the overwhelming majority of defensive gun uses in america. It's something to be aware of
but the pant shitting hysteria over "being sued' is retarded.

Also people in MA have "not gotten into a cruiser" after an SD shooting, but you don't hear about it so much, because the number of defensive shootings outside of LE doing it, in MA is an infinitesimally small number to begin with.

-Mike

Well, for one part of it, not even in mass, this nostrum of "civil liability, dowanna is going to sue you for shooting her son that attacked you with a gun/knife/etc" is pure ayoob glue fume sniffer stuff, and regardless of how much cash he makes writing about it, doesn't come into play in the overwhelming majority of defensive gun uses in america. It's something to be aware of

Also people in MA have "not gotten into a cruiser" after an SD shooting, but you don't hear about it so much, because the number of defensive shootings outside of LE doing it, in MA is an infinitesimally small number to begin with.

-Mike
I get it. My point is more that the old dude in KY was never even charged......popo did an investigation on scene......da said "good shoot" and the guy was all set.

In mass .......chances are you'd get charged and the da would let the jury or defense atty sort it out right?

Not true for all states.
Doubt it's still the same but years back I had a Ky. S.P. tell me if you shoot someone coming into the cab of your truck and and he falls outside make sure you throw him back in before you call us. Justifiable.

-Mike
Or at least the reported ones.

Doubt it's still the same but years back I had a Ky. S.P. tell me if you shoot someone coming into the cab of your truck and and he falls outside make sure you throw him back in before you call us. Justifiable.

How many years back?

I live here in KY and there is no need to tamper with anything.( which you will be charged with if you do).

You don't have to wait until someone is already in your home or your vehicle to use deadly force here. The forced attempt is all that is needed.

We have constitutional carry here and more people carry guns than don't.......resulting in a very polite society overall.

How many years back?

I live here in KY and there is no need to tamper with anything.( which you will be charged with if you do).

You don't have to wait until someone is already in your home or your vehicle to use deadly force here. The forced attempt is all that is needed.

We have constitutional carry here and more people carry guns than don't.......resulting in a very polite society overall.
Hell, I don't remember what I had for breakfast. Would guess early 80's. Most my interaction with troopers is just signing the ticket.

Burglary detured,no shots fired. Isn't that the scenario one would want,the only damage was the front door and his insurance will cover the repairs. There's a quote from some organization that states the mere appearance of a firearm is enough to deescate a situation without a shot being fired,from the NRA's Armed Citizen page I think.
I believe it was Kleck’s study that identified some 1.5 million crimes stopped each year with some ridiculously high number (95%, 99%) of the times the crime was stopped without a shot being fired.

-Mike
You seem to know of lot of facts about things. Where do you learn and read about it? Thanks. .

I believe it was Kleck’s study that identified some 1.5 million crimes stopped each year with some ridiculously high number (95%, 99%) of the times the crime was stopped without a shot being fired.

Professor Gary Kleck, you're right. Believe he was out of a university in Florida. Think it was in early 90's. 98% of the media ignored it, and the libs all dismissed it.
Simple math though. If only 1% of the over 200 million firearms in this country were used annually to prevent a crime, it's not unrealistic at all.

He could have shot the guy after he got in.

The home owner would have been taken to jail and have his guns confiscated.

Thousands spent on lawyers and a civil case from the dead guys family.

Maybe the home owner made the right choice.
That would be the right choice in every state.

If you have the chance to not use deadly force, take it.

You seem to know of lot of facts about things. Where do you learn and read about it? Thanks. .

Here there and everywhere. WRT this topic though, much was learned about it after having a few with cops and attorneys over the years. Learning how to "read between the lines' in the news and also court documents helps, too. Of course in MA the court documents are accessible but sometimes that is a pain in the ass.

Like for example there was a dude in central mass that ended a string of liquor store robberies by an armed thug, when said thug decided to point a gun at the store owner's brother, blammo, that was the end of that problem. No arrest, no trial, DAs office obv. investigated it etc, but it wasn't some dog and pony show like ayoob glue sniffers would lead you to believe. Do those happen? sure they do, look at Paul Langone. He "did the right thing" but because the DA was a douchebag it took him months to be "cleared" of the possibility of prosecution.

I get it. My point is more that the old dude in KY was never even charged......popo did an investigation on scene......da said "good shoot" and the guy was all set.

In mass .......chances are you'd get charged and the da would let the jury or defense atty sort it out right?

This is wrong. Even MA isn't that bad. If it is a clean shoot. (you werenot doing anything illegal at the time, you were in your home or did not intentionally engage the agressor, etc) you are rarelyeven arrested.

I posted an offer for $100 to anyone who could find a single instance of a good shoot in MA where the guy was arrested and prosecuted in the last 10 years. Nobody came up with one.

the real problem is they will pull your LTC while they are figuring things out. At which point you can no longer possess firearms in MA.

So if you have a DGU. Get them out of the state and into a state where you don't need any license to possess. (NH, ME, VT, RI, even CT).

now the would be burglar knows that he should come back at a more opportune time to try and steal that firearm. and next time he will be prepared for the encounter.

now the would be burglar knows that he should come back at a more opportune time to try and steal that firearm. and next time he will be prepared for the encounter.

What's the alternative??

More likely than not, he'll just pick an easier house. Maybe one with a "Love Lives Here" sign out front.

Back
Top Bottom