• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

‘How Did We Not Know?’ Gun Owners Confront a Suicide Epidemic

Reptile

NES Member
SPOKANE, Wash. — Shanna Torp has never been uneasy around guns. Her father, a retired trucker, kept a gun in the cab when he was on the road. When Ms. Torp, a debt collector from Post Falls, Idaho, goes camping, she takes a rifle to ward off cougars and bears.

But after her mother died following heart surgery, her 80-year-old father became despondent, Ms. Torp told suicide-prevention workers at a gun show here last autumn. There had been several suicides in Post Falls, she said. She added pointedly: “And he’s got quite a few guns.”

Ms. Torp has reason to worry. Gun violence kills about 40,000 Americans each year, but while public attention has focused on mass shootings, murders and accidental gun deaths, these account for little more than one-third of the nation’s firearms fatalities. The majority of gun deaths are suicides — and just over half of suicides involve guns.

According to national health statistics, 24,432 Americans used guns to kill themselves in 2018, up from 19,392 in 2010.

People who kill themselves in this way are usually those with ready access to firearms: gun owners and their family members. Gun owners are not more suicidal than people who don’t own guns, but attempts with guns are more likely to be fatal.

Now, nearly a year after the coronavirus pandemic began, unleashing a tide of economic dislocation and despair, experts are bracing for a rise in suicides. Gun sales have risen steadily since March, and as shutdowns aimed at containing the virus have disrupted lives and led to social isolation, studies have shown an increase in anxiety and suicidal ideation.

“So many people are struggling right now,” said Jennifer Stuber, an associate professor of social work who helped found the University of Washington’s Forefront Suicide Prevention center. “The indicators are that a perfect storm is about to hit.”

If an adult wants off of this planet who are the rest of us to prevent them from making it happen?

One more example of the left's obsession with controlling every aspect of our lives. They see us as The State's property.
This wouldn't be an issue if they just let people check into a clinic where they can "leave" peacefully.

i just saw a stat that there were 1.4 million attempts in the u.s. in 2018, with ~ 40 thousand people being successful. and of course the expected bit of information..."half by firearms." i'd say 40k is relatively low for the amount of attempts but still too many deaths. crazy how in this country will pass law after law to take away and deny anything that can be used by someone to harm themselves and law after law to not offer unsolicited help to squirrely acting people who may be a hazard to themselves.

Japan with ZERO access to firearms has a higher suicide rate than the US
to a japanese, suicide is the honorable way out. a lot of terminally ill in japan take their own lives. they have that suicide forest also where they'll just sit under a tree and wait for the end. americans want instant gratification and won't wait that long.

This wouldn't be an issue if they just let people check into a clinic where they can "leave" peacefully.

Exactly. Don't push people off to handle it themselves in some messy or dramatic fashion. Don't traumatize the guy working the counter at the public gun range. Don't make the wife or kids find daddy hanging in the closet, bled out in the tub or with his brains all over the wall. Do it in a controlled atmosphere. Like when I got a vasectomy a couple of years back. The doctor and maybe 2 different nurses asked me no fewer than a dozen times if I was sure I didn't want any more kids. Toward the end I was offering to bring the ones I had in to their office so they could see for themselves.

We spend so much effort making sure that death row inmates are put down without an ounce of pain or suffering but we can't afford to offer the same treatment to someone who's decided on their own that they don't want to go on?

Now, nearly a year after the coronavirus pandemic began, unleashing a tide of economic dislocation and despair, experts are bracing for a rise in suicides. Gun sales have risen steadily since March, and as shutdowns aimed at containing the virus have disrupted lives and led to social isolation, studies have shown an increase in anxiety and suicidal ideation.

(read: we really really really hope we are right so we can ban guns because of tehRona. Sure it's tragic and all that people kill themselves, but if we eliminate guns, we might all be safer. Maybe.)

The reality is: Increase in suicide attempts has zip to do with guns or more mountains or increased visibility of broken glass. It's exactly this. Right here. Look at it. It's those stupid machines we are tied to. People isolate themselves in so many ways because of it. Then there is no one to turn to. No one to watch out for them. And they attempt suicide.

Maybe we should ban tehinterwebz. For the children and all.

I got to love how the states which are legalizing Heroin and every other hard drug with high risk of overdose are pretending to be super concerned about suicides and totally not using it as a cover to gun grabbing.

I’m wondering what must be going through your head that you would post this here?

Seriously, dude?
It is a current article in the news about guns.

I thought it was a well written piece of non biased journalism.

Did you even read the article?

How about minding your own effing business?

I used to hate the BS suicide prevention classes in the military. If someone wants to kill themself instead of deploying and bringing a ton of drama and crap to everyone, then thank you. I left most veteran pages because of all the suicide crap.

Sometimes it’s a valid answer. Even if it isn’t, it’s their body / their choice.

Be even better if liberals kill themselves.

How about minding your own effing business?

I used to hate the BS suicide prevention classes in the military. If someone wants to kill themself instead of deploying and bringing a ton of drama and crap to everyone, then thank you. I left most veteran pages because of all the suicide crap.

Sometimes it’s a valid answer. Even if it isn’t, it’s their body / their choice.

Be even better if liberals kill themselves.
If you run a gun store it is your business to prevent suicidal people from buying a gun just to kill themselves.

Some people believe it can be prevented.

The interview with the gun shop owner from Hooksett, NH was interesting.

I know two people who have taken their lives with firearms, always their own firearm. I just wish they could have found a reason to live, reached out to someone. Both were great people. I can't see blaming the firearm, they chose that path and there were other choices. It's sad but as a country we could do much better, lower the stigma about reaching out. Restricting civil/human rights is not going to help and only further keep us from coming to solutions by dividing us

1605639478467.png

And this is just the A's and B's. It is readily apparent that there are quite a few effective means to off oneself.

Until or unless .gov can outlaw rope, gravity, high places, cars (CO poisoning), knives, prescription (or not) drugs, pools, etc., suicide isn't going away.

But that would cut the annual gun deaths in half. And the dems cannot have that or they lose an agenda initiative....

They need more gun deaths to continue to demonize guns.

Frankly I think if someone commits suicide without killing anyone else I consider that a success. I hate the suicides that involve a murder.

If you run a gun store it is your business to prevent suicidal people from buying a gun just to kill themselves.

Some people believe it can be prevented.

The interview with the gun shop owner from Hooksett, NH was interesting.

it’s no more the responsibility of a hardware store owner to make sure someone buying a hammer is using it to build a house than the example you listed.

this is America (for the time being), and it’s none of anybody’s damn business what I do with my personal property.

these articles add fuel to the fire of the anti-2A crowd in the health care industry...I don’t see how you thought it was a good idea to post it here.

then again, I’m not really sure you give a second thought to much of any of your posts of ‘relevant news’

it’s no more the responsibility of a hardware store owner to make sure someone buying a hammer is using it to build a house than the example you listed.

this is America (for the time being), and it’s none of anybody’s damn business what I do with my personal property.

these articles add fuel to the fire of the anti-2A crowd in the health care industry...I don’t see how you thought it was a good idea to post it here.

then again, I’m not really sure you give a second thought to much of any of your posts of ‘relevant news’
Well, fortunately, the leaders of the gun industry consider it an issue worth talking about.

A number of them were discussed in the article.

They don't want suicidal people giving guns a bad name and eroding our right to buy them.

If nobody cared about suicidal people having guns our rights would be more curtailed.

I for one would be glad to "baby sit" somebodies guns if they volunteered to hand them over to me if they were in the midst of a mental health crisis or extremely depressed state.

Well, fortunately, the leaders of the gun industry consider it an issue worth talking about.

A number of them were discussed in the article.

They don't want suicidal people giving guns a bad name and eroding our right to buy them.

If nobody cared about suicidal people having guns our rights would be more curtailed.

I for one would be glad to "baby sit" somebodies guns if they volunteered to hand them over to me if they were in the midst of a mental health crisis or extremely depressed state.
A big problem is defining mental health issues as opposed to having a bad day. If you ask your doctor for a Clonepin to take the edge off you could potentially lose your gun rights I think. A guy at work was a Fudd gun guy until he found out his daughter was depressed and he got rid of all his guns, he was telling me this and it confused the shit out of me to the point where I didn’t know how to respond to him.

A huge effort must be made to separate the gun from the suicide. This is not a gun issue (exc for dems to exploit) it is a suicide issue. We can't get sucked in to the issue to eliminate the possibility of suicide by gun.

A big problem is defining mental health issues as opposed to having a bad day. If you ask your doctor for a Clonepin to take the edge off you could potentially lose your gun rights I think. A guy at work was a Fudd gun guy until he found out his daughter was depressed and he got rid of all his guns, he was telling me this and it confused the shit out of me to the point where I didn’t know how to respond to him.
It seems to me in the article that they want to bring "impulsive acts" to the forefront.

Nothing can stop a person who really wants to commit suicide and has thought about it for a long time.

I suspect that some suicides are "impulsive" because guns make it so fast and easy.

Some people claim that creating a delay in that sort of thinking can reduce suicide.

I would even bet that some would have regretted killing themselves and would not have done it, if not for such an efficient tool.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem for some people.

Lots of people feel suicidal over failed relationships. I have met some of those people. After a while, they get over it and move on. They become happy again. But, in the midst of despair, things got pretty dark.

It’s not that we need to separate the gun from the suicide, we need to stop letting it get put together. They don’t associate a car, a razor blade, a rope, or any other simple implement used for suicide but all of a sudden OMG Gunz r bad.
my nine-year-old can walk into any store with $1000 cash and buy a chainsaw some rope and a lighter without breaking any laws. He could even buy a car, though he can’t drive it, and still not really be breaking any laws. But you’re saying that a gun store owner needs to not only no current and past history but also future history? As well as no the persons age and intent bullshit

It’s not that we need to separate the gun from the suicide, we need to stop letting it get put together. They don’t associate a car, a razor blade, a rope, or any other simple implement used for suicide but all of a sudden OMG Gunz r bad.
my nine-year-old can walk into any store with $1000 cash and buy a chainsaw some rope and a lighter without breaking any laws. He could even buy a car, though he can’t drive it, and still not really be breaking any laws. But you’re saying that a gun store owner needs to not only no current and past history but also future history? As well as no the persons age and intent bullshit
Generally speaking, nobody can tell what a gun shopper will do with their gun.

But, if a woman comes in crying hysterically and points to buy the first gun she sees - some plan should be in place to intervene.
That happened in Hooksett.

I know of one indoor range where the workers know how to pick up on obvious signs of a mental health crisis and they have respectfully placed information for help if a customer may need it.

I think this is wise as a business to prevent range suicides which can put them out of business.

I find it to be a kind and compassionate gesture that can saves lives without infringing on the right to buy guns.

Freedom is dangerous but it beats the alternative.

Give me a break, if someone is serious about killing them selves number 1 they are not going to talk about it, in fact sometimes they are actually in a good mood and pretty happy that they have found the answer to their problems and number 2 they don’t need a gun to do it.
Well aware one of my frat brothers did it without a gun.

He was on my remembrance table instead of my groomsmen pictures. My infant knows him as a stone in ground not uncle Allen.

They will do it any way they can. F*** people that use this as a political argument.

Back
Top Bottom