Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default LE in New England

Doing some soul searching and giving some consideration to LE as of late. I'll be graduating with my JD in the spring from BC, and if timing works out right I should hopefully be going away for a year or so of training for the NH ARNG soon thereafter (haven't been accepted yet, so don't want to jynx myself). After a couple summers doing legal work, I don't think office life is for me. Fortunately, my GI benefits covered my law degree, so I will owe nothing.

I have a lot of friends in LE from the Marine Corps, but all in MA or CT. I am giving consideration to federal LE as well as NHSP and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts/experience. Does anyone know if NHSP has as broad a range of specialization as MSP? I'm regretting not taking this last MSP exam, but can't change the past. Also curious as to how pay in NH stacks up to MA. Most of my friends in LE here are living pretty comfortably, but I can't seem to find anything beyond base salary regarding NH pay.

On the federal side, which agencies allow you to pick locations? For better or worse, NH ARNG is priority one right now, so I'll need to be able to get to Concord, NH close to weekly. My wife has wanted to move up there almost the last 10 years, so she's ready to sell the house and head that way. She still has 2 years of grad school left, however.

Thanks all

Mike

NHSP has tons of specializations if not more than MSP. As for the civil circus exam you should be glad you saved yourself 100$. Buddy works for NHSP ended up stationed up in the White Mountains. Says there is plenty of overtime and details. NHSP is always hiring as well here's the link to their recruitment page.

https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/...salarybenefits

As for federal I have not seen a job where you can pick your location. Capital Police are always hiring as well as secret service uniformed division, if you don't mind living in Washington or Maryland. But alot of other jobs on USAJOBS will say where the job locations would be in the post
    Last edited by devenob; 10-13-2017 at 11:15 PM.

Why not think federal like FBI?

I came close way back when I came out of Army with BA.
    Unfortunately there was a hiring freeze and then they certainly weren't looking for white males.

Or don't limit yourself to just NHSP. Test in neighboring states?
    Last edited by ccm75; 10-14-2017 at 12:01 AM.

NES Member

If you think federal, FCI Berlin is in active hiring mode again (FCI Fairton NJ had a mission change, and is sending their inmates up by the busload).

I retired from the BOP, but I keep in touch with folks there. If you don't have an ego issue with a lower initial pay grade, in three years you'll be making the same as anyone who could have theoretically hired in at a higher grade (but didn't get hired because they wouldn't accept a GL-5).

It's a 25/50 retirement plan. Personal and family issues prompted my retirement at age 51. That cost me a lot of money, but I'm getting by just fine working less than 30 hours a week in an entirely different field (and happy that we made it this far).
    "but he deserved it"

you know, the US law system is apparently partially based off of emotional revenge on criminals.

~Dench

With a JD and veteran's status, go FBI. Best health care and pension. I am 31 yr retired from state le agency and I've done ok but my college roommate retired from the FBI as a Resident SSA and does really well for himself. If I had it do over, I would have gone federal.
    NRA Life Member
    MSP Certified Firearms Instructor
    MPTC Certified Firearms Instructor

With your JD, go Fed or go back into the military as a JAG. There is a fair share of Troopers on the MSP with JDís (thanks to Quinn) Specialization is interesting with that agency. Position vacancies are announced within specific units and you apply. You go through an interview process and if accepted will get s combination of OJT and formal training if required, but there is no ďcareer pathĒ per se. You can jump around and sometimes must be willing to leave a specialized unit to get promoted.

I think the Feds would offer you more in the long run, although in all honesty Iíd hate to see a professional military man (even a Marine) become a LEO in todayís climate. Iím beginning to believe that the scale is tipping and many of the newer ones coming on the Job are the bad apples and the good apples are decreasing. It wasnít always that way and I know some great cops and there are some great cops on this forum, but LE is not what it used to be.
    Member, Smith & Wesson Collectors Association #3008
    Member, Leominster Sportsmen's Association
    Member, Gun Owner's Action League
    Benefactor Member, National Rifle Association
    A student said to his master: "You teach me about fighting but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardner in a war."

I am probably going to be location restricted to NE. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but I am in the process of applying for an aviation position in Concord in the NH ARNG which will probably require close to weekly attendance. I also can't do JAG concurrently with this. I will most likely finish out (at least) my 20 in the military, however. I have 7 sat years from the USMC I'll be carrying over, and if I get selected for this after about 18 months of MOS training I'll have a 6-8 year obligation, and I'll be a warrant instead of enlisted. I'm regretting getting out the last 3 years I've been in school, as I'd be right at 20 after my obligation if the Guard works out. If I weren't looking at this guard program I'd probably have FBI at the top of my list, or something specialized like EPA CID. However, priority one for me right now is getting into guard aviation.

As far as who goes into LE these days, I'm sure it's a mixed bag. I'm not a scumbag, and I can only speak for myself. Of my good friends who are cops, all are good dudes who bend over backwards to give people the benefit of the doubt. That said, I'd be lying if I said I intend to do patrol stuff my entire career if I go LE, but life takes you funny places so I won't guess at where I'll be now.

Thanks for the input guys

Mike
    Last edited by crazymjb; 10-14-2017 at 02:17 PM.

NES Member

Quote Originally Posted by lowbuckbob View Post
    With a JD and veteran's status, go FBI. Best health care and pension.
    FBI's health care and pension are exactly the same as every other federal LEA's.
    "but he deserved it"

you know, the US law system is apparently partially based off of emotional revenge on criminals.

~Dench

Deleted
    Last edited by mark056; 10-16-2017 at 12:56 PM.
    Member, Smith & Wesson Collectors Association #3008
    Member, Leominster Sportsmen's Association
    Member, Gun Owner's Action League
    Benefactor Member, National Rifle Association
    A student said to his master: "You teach me about fighting but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardner in a war."

Dude don't do it. I am a vet too and almost pulled the trigger on a police job. Nights weekends and holidays. And you are now on camera all of the time. One screw up and you are gone. And don't forget the current climate of hatred of the police. Go to the Fed side of the house. There are so many investigator positions. Or be an advocate for veterans. But sitting in a patrol car at 3am staring at the wall is not a good use of your time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast