Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    The guys at work always seem to get 3 weeks of AT and go to Germany, Japan, stuff like that. They often do 3-4 day drills for some reason, plus schools and stuff.

I guess it depends on the unit.
    There are other pools of money. If you get activated for an national emergency- storms
    And other declared emergencies there is 45 days you can grab from the feds as well per year. I used 11 days of this leave for the marathon bombing and a few storms. This is in addition to drill pay. And some units will put you on orders to travel to and from drill. If you have a good relationship with the unit a lot is possible.

I guess as an offshoot to that, what about taking non-emergency orders? IE humanitarian missions that last a couple months? This would be a virtual career killer in private legal practice, but I imagine LE would be more flexible?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb View Post
    I guess as an offshoot to that, what about taking non-emergency orders? IE humanitarian missions that last a couple months? This would be a virtual career killer in private legal practice, but I imagine LE would be more flexible?

Mike
    Federal, good to go. State or local, YMMV.

There are limits - too much mil leave has implications on retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by NHKevin View Post

Or Vice versa. Know many cops that went on orders because it was
    More money. You can buy up to 4 years of active duty time back.

Quote Originally Posted by NHKevin View Post

I personally know of one guy who got fired from a federal job for going on orders. He let slip that he volunteered for the orders and the boss told him if he left he would be fired.

He did leave and was fired. He sued but lost the case in court. Another guy left for a year long deployment 2 weeks after getting hired. We were badly understaffed and working 30+ hours of OT a week. They finally get a new body and poof he's gone.

They couldn't fire him, but once his probation was up, they didn't renew him.
    Please don't feed the democrats.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234