Default Programming software

New Ham here. Very green to the Ham world that awaits me.

I have acquired three transceivers (older ICOM 2GAT and Kenwood TS-140S, and a newer Yaesu VX-6) The 2 HT's came to me partially programmed, but I don't have any manuals for them to assist in programming them any further. The Yaesu will soon lose its memory channels because I have to send it out for repair. It has very low TX and RX audio on the ham bands, but not NOAA. I'm told it may be a failed filter of some sort.

My question. Is there a common software program that is useful to program my radios, and a future purchase of a new radio that has all the up to date technological bells and whistles, or does each radio have their own particular programming software that you must buy?
    Member: GOAL, NRA, NES
    Graduate: University of Southwest Asia, Class of '90

Chirp will def do your Yaesu, I have done my VX7R with it. I can't speak to the other 2.

And if CHIRP does the other two, it'll let you save your settings so you can reprogram later. A buddy of mine set us all up with identical programs on Baofengs so the less saavy could just be told "go to preset 13".
    Everything is the worst

Comm2A Amazon Linky

Quote Originally Posted by ToddDubya View Post
    And if CHIRP does the other two, it'll let you save your settings so you can reprogram later. A buddy of mine set us all up with identical programs on Baofengs so the less saavy could just be told "go to preset 13".
    LOL, story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by edmorseiii View Post
    Chirp will def do your Yaesu, I have done my VX7R with it. I can't speak to the other 2.
    This should help....

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/...pported_Radios
    "Well sir, I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it" Peter G.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws,THAT'S INSANE!" Penn J.
    "I'm doing you now"-minininjer
    "I recognize your NIPPLE"-minininjer
    "It wouldn't go in the hole. I kept going lower so now I have two holes there"-minininjer
    "Come on down and eat at the V, y'all!"-minininjer
    "My jaws get tired"-minininjer
    "I've never been so wet before"-minininjer

Rtsystems is ~$50 (includes cable) but works very well on the radios that they support. So between that and Chirp, you should be able to get them working.

Manuals are usually DL-able from mfr website.
    Mass. Gun Laws By and For Non-Lawyers (How To Stay Legal and Out of Trouble) - Seminar
    http://2atraining.weebly.com/
    NRA Certified Instructor and Range Officer, Law of Self Defense Instructor Program Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Len-2A Training View Post
    Rtsystems is ~$50 (includes cable) but works very well on the radios that they support. So between that and Chirp, you should be able to get them working.

Manuals are usually DL-able from mfr website.
    My only complaint about RT Systems is that you have to buy the software and install it for each radio. Never understood why they couldn't just sell a license unlock for each radio you own.

It is nice that you can easily copy/paste between instances of RT though.
    “The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
    ~1797 Treaty of Tripoli signed by John Adams

“In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own. It is error alone that needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1814
    GFY if you don't like my opinions

I use this on my VX7R

http://www.kc8unj.com/vx7.html

Not sure if it works with the VX6. I started using it right after it came out and it was a bit finicky at first but it works well for me once I got past the learning curve. YMMV
    'We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. - Patrick Henry -

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue. -Barry Goldwater-

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ