Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Guns in MA

NES Member

Default Long Guns in MA

I am very new to shooting, only 4 yrs. experience mainly with handguns. I am interested in getting started with rifles for home defense etc. Any suggestions where to start?

In another state.

Sorry, that was an easy one.

Kel-Tec Sub-2000 is a fun Home Defense rifle. Takes magazines from several different types of handguns. I have a Glock 22 and mine takes the same magazine. You don't have to buy the more expensive rifle ammo. Also it folds in half easy to put in a backpack. I take mine to the range on my motorcycle.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

So many variables. What do you want to do with it? Want cheap ammo or real expensive ammo? New style rifle or WW2 style?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsgun1 View Post
    So many variables. What do you want to do with it? Want cheap ammo or real expensive ammo? New style rifle or WW2 style?
    If he said home defense, I would be shocked if he was thinking ww2 style.

LTC-A
    GOAL
    Comm2A Supporter - Amazon link http://shop.comm2a.org

For home defense you probably shouldn't be thinking of getting a rifle...the projectiles penetrate too much and travel too fast to be able to fire safely in a small setting like a house. A 12 guage shotgun will stop anything in line of sight, but will also not penetrate walls (or at least not with still lethal velocities) endangering other members of your household in adjacent rooms.
    ... "SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI" translated, " Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"...

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar652 View Post
    A 12 guage shotgun will stop anything in line of sight, but will also not penetrate walls (or at least not with still lethal velocities) endangering other members of your household in adjacent rooms.
    A 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck or slugs can, and will certainly penetrate sheetrock and maintain lethal velocities. If the rounds hit studs of course, it'll slow 'em down but I would not rely on sheetrock to stop a 12 gauge round from reaching my loved ones, were I to miss my intended target.
    You can't buy happiness. You can buy ammo though, and that's pretty much the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 45collector View Post
    A 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck or slugs can, and will certainly penetrate sheetrock and maintain lethal velocities. If the rounds hit studs of course, it'll slow 'em down but I would not rely on sheetrock to stop a 12 gauge round from reaching my loved ones, were I to miss my intended target.
    Meant to add...loaded with birdshot.

Leave it to NES to find the one thing I accidentally omitted and pick apart and delegitamize/discount my entire statement. ;D

And plus...who here misses their target. I thought world class shooting comes with the $20 member fee to NES?
    Last edited by Dakar652; 07-17-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    ... "SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI" translated, " Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"...

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar652 View Post
    loaded with birdshot. .
    Please do not actually do this.

Center of Mass (See, that's funny because...)

For home defense a shotgun would be a better tool.

For rifle for home defense you would be wanting an AR carbine with a red-dot sight.

Someone who owned one in-state prior to 7/20/2016 will be happy to sell you one. Check out the Tavors, too.
    The best revenge is living well.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." - H. Solo

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast