Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default DSLR Cameras? What's good for a beginner?

My daughter has picked yet another new hobby that she wont stop pestering and researching about. She wants to buy a DSLR camera and her money is burning a hole in her pocket. So I ask you, NES braintrust, what is a solid entry level sub $500 DSLR camera set up for my beloved little pest of a cherub to work her ass off to earn enough to buy a new camera?

She is looking a a Canon Rebel EOS T5
    Thank you NES!

D3000

Find an older model EOS D series body and get a good lens for it.

B&H has a couple of that set in your $500 price range... A 40D, 1D Mark II, and 5D...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_digital.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...i_digital.html
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_camera.html

IMO, any 'kit' that includes a lens for under $500 is crap. If you expect her to break it, fine. If not, invest in getting a solid first camera.

For the record, I've had Canon EOS cameras for over 15 years. I progressed from an used 10D until I picked up a 1Ds Mark III and 1D Mark III body. I sold off the 1D Mark III but kept the 1Ds Mark III. I also have all 'L' class lenses (all f2.8). You never regret buying great glass. Great glass will last longer than you have the body it connects to. I would also advise to NOT get any EF-S lenses. They are more limited (cheaper too).
    Printer for sale

Quote Originally Posted by hillman
    I was up all night because my wife was coughing, puking, sneezing, wheezing, whining, crying...and it didn't have anything to do with sex this time!
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchman View Post
    Not Dick, that's short for Richard. My name is Jean-Luc. My girlfriend called me "oh, my god" last night, even tho she doesn't have to call me by my job title. When my boss sees me, he usually says "Jesus Christ", but that's not right either.

She may want to look into mirror-less cameras, they are getting pretty good. Not quite the speed of a dslr, but close. DSLRs will still do better for low-light and fast action sequences, but the mirror-less cameras are about the same for everything else and a lot smaller, so more likely to actually bring along and use. The Sony Alphas are usually a good bet, I haven't looked at them recently though.

Default DSLR Cameras? What's good for a beginner?

Canon 6D.

Lens: 16-35 2.8, 24-70 2.8, prime lens 85mm 1.2 F

Those will cover most of hobby needs.
    Last edited by gunofthrones; 06-19-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Any DSLR plus a class or two at NESOP or similar. The camera doesn't matter.

here is a good site for reviews and comparisons

https://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides

Quote Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
    Find an older model EOS D series body and get a good lens for it.

B&H has a couple of that set in your $500 price range... A 40D, 1D Mark II, and 5D...
    This.
    "Persons who, according to the Nürnberg law, are regarded as Jews, are forbidden to possess any weapon."
    -By Order of SS Reichsführer Himmler. November 10th, 1938.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    -Thomas Brackett Reed

"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility."
    -Sigmund Freud

Take her to a camera store (Hunts not Best Buy) and let her handle the cameras to see which system fits her hands better. Back when I was trying to figure out which way to go I rented both for A weekend... I understood and liked Nikon better and that's what I went with - the lenses are more important, start with a 50 1.8 and go from there.

B&H in NYC (online too) has the best prices and no sales tax...
    Boys, let's blow this Popsicle Stand.
    Kaboom?
    Yes Rico, Kaboom.

I'm a Nikon guy, but for a beginner, I would go with Canon. They're like the "Apple" of DSLRs.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast