Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!

Quote Originally Posted by NavelOfficer View Post
    The gal on the 357 assembly line is a baker by profession. She's used to filling the flour measure to over-flowing and then clearing the excess away with a knife edge. When she comes in to her other job at Lonoke, she tends to do the same thing with the 357 Magnum cases.

I got some free ammo, and was informed that some were "hot". I broke them down, and as far as I could tell, the .458 Win Mags were compressed loads, from the amount of powder that filled the inertial puller.

Later, I found out that the (deceased) maker of the ammo would determine acceptable pressure levels bu boosting charge weight until he had to use the shooting bench edge to open the bolt, and backing off, a bit. I will say that the reloaded 12 ga "Trap" loads were not skimpy on powder, based on boom and kick. But, for a buck a box......
    If you pull a trigger, you have to pull together.
    -Me

Hancock Ale & Quail Society (Legacy Founding Member)
    NRA(Life); GOAL(Family); Southborough Rod & Gun Club
    Club Delegate - Worcester County League of Sportsmens' Clubs
    ATA; MATA
    NRA Certified Instructor (Shotgun, Pistol, Home Firearm Safety); MSP BFS
    Mass Certified Hunter Ed Instructor
    Licensed Bartender
    Licensed Forklift Operator (Class 1); Forklift Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by whacko View Post
    Funny......their 357 mag in the green and white box is the hottest factory ammo I've ever found in 357 Magnum.
    Yea I don't know about the .357s, I don't shoot a lot of it and what I do shoot I make my own but I do know about the 10mm, Shoot a mag full of the Remington's and then a mag full of Sig's, huge difference.
    "Nothing wrong with shooting..........long as the right people get shot."
    Harry Callahan

Had that happen once with my bull barrel AR. I'd load a round and it would fire but wouldn't cycle the next round. Turned out the gas block loosened just enough to move off the hole in the barrel turning my AR into a single shot rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by SoNH View Post
    Had that happen once with my bull barrel AR. I'd load a round and it would fire but wouldn't cycle the next round. Turned out the gas block loosened just enough to move off the hole in the barrel turning my AR into a single shot rifle.
    This is often the case...mechanical vs ammo.
    I run a reduced load of H4895 for a cast load in my 20" A2
    WTB your POS NO GOOD Lee Reloading Equipment
    WTB M1 Garand with shot out barrel

Quote Originally Posted by EddieCoyle View Post
    I've found the Remington "value" pack .223 to be really under powered.
    I've found Remington 9mm, .45acp and .223 all to be underpowered. The 9mm is almost a guaranteed runaway in an open bolt subgun. I bought two boxes of it years ago to test it out (it was cheap circa 2005). Loaded two mags and both ran away in an M11. No other ammo did that before or since. Fired the remaining box in a pistol and never touched another Remington manufactured round of ammo. Its dirtier than anything I've ever fired too.
    Keep bending to the politically correct and anti gun left and sooner or later their dick will break off in your ass.

Not AR, but two lots of Remington green box .270 Win ammo chronographed 200 fps below speed claimed on box and 300 fps below other brands I tested including Federal red box.

Quote Originally Posted by northny View Post
    Not AR, but two lots of Remington green box .270 Win ammo chronographed 200 fps below speed claimed on box and 300 fps below other brands I tested including Federal red box.
    with out knowing how they tested them might be your variance. when i look at a lot of the reloading data its often labeled as tested from a barrel length and twist rate different from anything i have.
    200fps lower or higher would not be to alarming for me but if your SD was way up there that would be a indicator of crap ammo.
    I dont knwo why remington ammo is so off. I dont like any of their 22lr offerings(other than some military contract stuff from 1994) or the UMC stuff although the 55 grain soft point 223 in the yellow and green box has produced some of my best groups from my A2 out side of match ammo.?

I wouldn't shoot Remington ammo if it was free. It's overpriced and I've never had good luck in any caliber. I also wouldn't shoot .223 unless it was free, since it's just the under-powered sibling of 5.56 (assuming you have a 5.56 chamber).
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting... 'have a gun.'" - Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by SubieGuy4 View Post
    I wouldn't shoot Remington ammo if it was free. It's overpriced and I've never had good luck in any caliber. I also wouldn't shoot .223 unless it was free, since it's just the under-powered sibling of 5.56 (assuming you have a 5.56 chamber).
    I,won't argue if it's good or bad but the 55 grain hollow point remington green and yellow box 223 has a 3200fps velocity spec? That's right there with the M193
    I will buy the cheapest Crap that cycles for range blasting and mil spec standards for a M4 A2 and looking for "hits on target" expectations.

I think the only Remington ammo I've tried that wasn't underpowered was their 125 gr JSP 357 mag and 180 gr JSP 44 mag.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast