Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

the kit i was looking at wasn't Wheeler...it was generic. it also didn't have the fat wrench,bits or levels. I have a US Optics level that I use to mount on the pic rail when I put a scope on, but for the price of the 'Wheeler' name AND the FAT wrench, I'm considering this purchase. Even though a lot of my milsurps aren't scoped, it'd still be beneficial to have a torque screwdriver for the band/ferrel/action screws. I love/hate how NES is always finding new ways to spend my money, but with over $2500 in glass/rings/mounts alone, I suppose it's time to check to make sure everything is mounted correctly so i'm not damaging any of my scope tubes and getting the accuracy i'm paying for. I admittedly considered lapping to be voodoo until I got into precision shooting...every little bit helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillham View Post
    Which kit were you looking at?
    I'm looking at https://smile.amazon.com/Wheeler-Sco.../dp/B002PQKGSI for $100.
    Lowest it's ever been is $70 - and for $70 I'd pick it up.. But I can't bring myself to spend $100 right now for only three scopes.
    and FTR, if I buy the kit (and I probably will because i'm a fiend for tools)...you're welcome to come over and use it sometime. I'm in worcester, so not exactly close...I do most of my basic scope mounting in my basement (using a plumb bob at one end, and my pic level on the rifle in a table vice)...it's low budget, but it gets the job done! i hope you like dogs!
    Last edited by Dakar652; 02-15-2017 at 11:13 AM.
    ... "SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI" translated, " Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever"...

Quote Originally Posted by Dakar652 View Post
    the kit i was looking at wasn't Wheeler...it was generic. it also didn't have the fat wrench,bits or levels. I have a US Optics level that I use to mount on the pic rail when I put a scope on, but for the price of the 'Wheeler' name AND the FAT wrench, I'm considering this purchase. Even though a lot of my milsurps aren't scoped, it'd still be beneficial to have a torque screwdriver for the band/ferrel/action screws. I love/hate how NES is always finding new ways to spend my money, but with over $2500 in glass/rings/mounts alone, I suppose it's time to check to make sure everything is mounted correctly so i'm not damaging any of my scope tubes and getting the accuracy i'm paying for. I admittedly considered lapping to be voodoo until I got into precision shooting...every little bit helps.

and FTR, if I buy the kit (and I probably will because i'm a fiend for tools)...you're welcome to come over and use it sometime. I'm in worcester, so not exactly close...I do most of my basic scope mounting in my basement (using a plumb bob at one end, and my pic level on the rifle in a table vice)...it's low budget, but it gets the job done! i hope you like dogs!
    I do like dogs - and Worcester isn't far away from Billerica - just shoot down 495. May have to take you up on the offer!
    My previous two scopes, I've just used a couple of keychain levels, and snugged up the screws and called it a day. Now that I have a $900 Vortex scope, I don't want to ruin it (I know, only $900.. baby steps)

Quote Originally Posted by Gillham View Post
    I do like dogs - and Worcester isn't far away from Billerica - just shoot down 495. May have to take you up on the offer!
    My previous two scopes, I've just used a couple of keychain levels, and snugged up the screws and called it a day. Now that I have a $900 Vortex scope, I don't want to ruin it (I know, only $900.. baby steps)
    900! it took me a long time to save the same money(that could be spent on guns) and it was not easy parting with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12