Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Safe Placement... hardwood floor

So I am moving and the only real option for the safe us to put it on a hardwood floor. I was looking to pick some brains on the best way to protect the floor from the safe. It's a large safe apx 800 lbs.

i was thinking carpet pad underneath it. Just looking for what others have done

My safes are on carpet or concrete. If the bottom is flat, maybe a trimmed piece of masonite. I can't help but think carpet pad is just going to compress and damage the floor anyway
    NES, NRA, GOAL and Comm2a member, Southboro Rod and Gun member, unindicted felon since 7-20-16

An island surrounded by land on three sides

Just set it on the floor. It's not sinking into the hardwood and it won't scratch it if you don't try to slide it around. If you put a piece of carpet under it, the carpet backing will scratch the shit out of the floor and if you put the pile side down the safe will slide around.
    When I help people move safes into their houses I bring a piece of carpet to lay it on and glide it into place and stand it up.

A piece of carpet underneath the safe would protect the floor from scratches, but might make it easy to slide the safe around.

A piece of plywood underneath the safe would protect the floor from dents and gouges but might make it easy to slide the safe around.

Some rubbery shelf liner under a piece of plywood with another piece of shelf liner between the plywood and safe would spread the load out and make the safe largely unmovable.

The rubbery stuff might have some longer term effects on the floor finish though. Probably not, but it might.

NES Member

If you can, use an airsled to move it into place, then it is going to depend on what the bottom of your safe is like. Many are pretty flat and covering bottom in thick felt pad should be enough.

If it has leveling feet or wheels I would recommend putting it on a slightly oversized piece of cabinet grade plywood to spread the weight.

I would not use regular carpet remnants as the back side is often abrasive. Maybe something like Flor Squares (not a typeo, that is the company)
    Last edited by bfm; 01-11-2017 at 03:22 PM.

...and then lag it to the floor

Quote Originally Posted by mbullism View Post
    ...and then lag it to the floor
    or the wall. Fewer concerns about sliding then
    NES, NRA, GOAL and Comm2a member, Southboro Rod and Gun member, unindicted felon since 7-20-16

What about a high quality rubber gym floor tile or horse stall mat. I would think it would be up to task. Although i cant speak to the long term effects of the material on the hard wood.

If someone wants your safe badly, they are going to hook a chain around it and pull it through whatever with a truck, regardless of wether it is on hardwood or carpet, thereby destroying the house in the process.

I agree with lagging it down.

I'd get a piece of commercial carpet. It's thinner and more dense. Flip it over so the carpet is on the wood and the backing is what the safe is sitting on.

"Pat you owe me a beer" Derek
    "Send It"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast