Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NES Member

Default Pentagon tests "MicroDrone Swarm" - Pretty sure I read this Michael Crichton book...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pentagon-...024318993.html

I guess "micro" is relative they're apparently 16cm long.

Either way, pretty sure they took this quote from a Michael Crichton book, word for word:

"The micro-drones demonstrated advanced swarm behaviors such as collective decision-making, adaptive formation flying and self-healing," it said.

"Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronized individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature," said William Roper, director of the Pentagon's Strategic Capabilities Office. "Because every Perdix communicates and collaborates with every other Perdix, the swarm has no leader and can gracefully adapt to drones entering or exiting the team."

Unsurprisingly it did not end well for most of the people in the book.
    Last edited by Frizzle Fry; 01-10-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    LTC Class A High Capacity - Unrestricted
    Utah Non-Resident Concealed Firearm Permit
    New Hampshire Non-Resident Pistol/Revolver License

2nd Tour of Duty in the PRM, wish me luck.

fricken skynet coming soon to a conflict near you.
    NES, NRA, GOAL and Comm2a member, Southboro Rod and Gun member, unindicted felon since 7-20-16

That was a pretty good book. Crichton always added some social commentary to his books. Airframe was an awesome insight into how crash investigation works and how political it can be.

I forget the name of the book you speak of. They were nano-thingies, tho. I believe that was the book where he postulated that the Internet was going to homogenize the world and ensure no significant advancement because everyone was experiencing the epic same-ness. Breakouts occur in odd places and there would be no more odd places left.

It was fascinating.

He also theorized that evolution was on shaky ground in the 2nd or 3rd Jurassic Park book. Certain traits of certain species had to occur virtually simultaneously. It was an interesting observation.

I have seen this already, up in northern Maine during the spring. The drones looked like little black flies, though. Were driving the Moose crazy!
    I like:
    Smoke and lightning
    Heavy metal thunder
    Racing in the wind
    and the feeling that i'm under

60 Minutes did a segment on it last Sunday. Pretty interesting debate about the autonomy of robots to take a human life without human input. Very muddy ethical waters ahead.

https://www.amazon.com/Prey-Michael-...chael+crichton

I remember this being a pretty good book. At one point, the swarm flies into the shape of a human and walks around.
    I guess she wasn't 'Likable Enough' after all

Quote Originally Posted by BeerGuy View Post
    60 Minutes did a segment on it last Sunday. Pretty interesting debate about the autonomy of robots to take a human life without human input. Very muddy ethical waters ahead.
    Nothing muddy about it, IMO.
    Nobody owes you
    Nobody owns you

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/pentagon-...024318993.html

I guess "micro" is relative they're apparently 16cm long.

Either way, pretty sure they took this quote from a Michael Crichton book, word for word:

"The micro-drones demonstrated advanced swarm behaviors such as collective decision-making, adaptive formation flying and self-healing," it said.

"Perdix are not pre-programmed synchronized individuals, they are a collective organism, sharing one distributed brain for decision-making and adapting to each other like swarms in nature," said William Roper, director of the Pentagon's Strategic Capabilities Office. "Because every Perdix communicates and collaborates with every other Perdix, the swarm has no leader and can gracefully adapt to drones entering or exiting the team."

Unsurprisingly it did not end well for most of the people in the book.

Don't forget, "drone" takes on all new dimensions when you are talking about DOD - The Predator is a drone, and it is bigger than most lite general aviation aircraft.
    Prohibition only serves to empower the Government and enrich Lawyers and The Lawless, all at the expense of The Law Abiding. - Original
    Politicians should wear uniforms like Nascar drivers, that we could identify their corporate sponsors.
    "Stupid should hurt." - The ought-to-be-famous words of my friend Dave.

I saw a demonstration by iRobot a number of years ago where they showed something similar, except the robots were all wheeled and about 6" cubes. They worked together to solve a problem (in this case, getting out of a maze). it was pretty amazing watching them all line up when one had found the way out of a particular part of the maze.
    "Aut viam inveniam aut faciam" - Hannibal
    Either I shall find a way, or I shall make one

NES Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
    I forget the name of the book you speak of.
    I think it was called "Prey".
    LTC Class A High Capacity - Unrestricted
    Utah Non-Resident Concealed Firearm Permit
    New Hampshire Non-Resident Pistol/Revolver License

2nd Tour of Duty in the PRM, wish me luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast