Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 66 of 66
  1. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daekken View Post
    Interestingly, I was talking to Franco today and if I heard him correctly he runs 48gr of Varget with either a 150 or 155gr projectile.
    He said he did not think 168 gr was superior. I tend to hear each camp (150-155 vs. 168 gr) say they prefer their own weight, which is not surprising. I have some 150gr but I have not used them for M1.

    The reloading data I was referring to in my manual above is M1 specific rather than generic 30-06. I had another manual but I loaned it a few months ago and haven't gotten it back.

    Even at 100 yds I notice a decent hold difference on target with, say, 41gr Varget vs. HXP. I've done as high as 45gr Varget but I don't really remember the outcome.
    for the shooting we do and the guns/skill set unless theres a node in the powder charge the barrel harmonics just really disagree with you may or may not see a difference in accuracy with any powder charge from min-max ... Franco is a molded shooter of the XTC days of the M1 and M14/1a where you want the fastest velocity/accuracy to reach out to 600 yards where Velocity will aid in fighting the wind. The faster the bullet gets there the less time the wind has to push it around and then the actual drop. there was a time also when shooters had to use issued ammo and shooters whould load to duplicate the
    As long as your loading what works for you is all that matters at least with in the safety margin of the platform/powder and such. Of course when your deviate outside the "norm" come ups and such will be different buy a few to many minutes....
    I used to use hornady 150s as they shoot well enough to hold the 10 ring if I can....the thing is that they are no longer cheaper than say the noslers 155s/168s when they are on sale or the 2nds.
    im one of those load to the patform/end result type. I wont spend money on anything more expensive than noslers on sale prices. I cant see paying .30 plus cents on a bullet for a gun and skill set that is a touch under 3moa on a good day vs day my friend who loads lapua bullets in his PSA AR ??
    It does not show as much with iron sights vs scoped rifles with the OCW method of finding a deent powder charge. I also found as you get closer to max the variations in powder charge seem a bit more critical... I know from shooting my garand and reloading for it that a 44-45+ grain charge load will not be enough to toss a round out of the ten ring.
    play around with balistic calculators they can open your eyes to just how the bullet can be influenced down range with velocity changes and such..
    Last edited by mac1911; 09-11-2017 at 09:41 AM.
    WTB your POS NO GOOD Lee Reloading Equipment
    WTB M1 Garand with shot out barrel

  2. #62
    NES Member daekken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    the dusty Winnemucca road
    Posts
    1,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    for the shooting we do and the guns/skill set unless theres a node in the powder charge the barrel harmonics just really disagree with you may or may not see a difference in accuracy with any powder charge from min-max ... Franco is a molded shooter of the XTC days of the M1 and M14/1a where you want the fastest velocity/accuracy to reach out to 600 yards where Velocity will aid in fighting the wind. The faster the bullet gets there the less time the wind has to push it around and then the actual drop. there was a time also when shooters had to use issued ammo and shooters whould load to duplicate the
    As long as your loading what works for you is all that matters at least with in the safety margin of the platform/powder and such. Of course when your deviate outside the "norm" come ups and such will be different buy a few to many minutes....
    I used to use hornady 150s as they shoot well enough to hold the 10 ring if I can....the thing is that they are no longer cheaper than say the noslers 155s/168s when they are on sale or the 2nds.
    im one of those load to the patform/end result type. I wont spend money on anything more expensive than noslers on sale prices. I cant see paying .30 plus cents on a bullet for a gun and skill set that is a touch under 3moa on a good day vs day my friend who loads lapua bullets in his PSA AR ??
    It does not show as much with iron sights vs scoped rifles with the OCW method of finding a deent powder charge. I also found as you get closer to max the variations in powder charge seem a bit more critical... I know from shooting my garand and reloading for it that a 44-45+ grain charge load will not be enough to toss a round out of the ten ring.
    play around with balistic calculators they can open your eyes to just how the bullet can be influenced down range with velocity changes and such..
    In the end, all I'm looking for is something that I can build around. What I mean by that is a load I can make that will be consistent and ballistically decent, and from there I can make the sight adjustments I want, and just roll with that load without messing with it.

    I'm thinking if I do something like 45gr Varget under the Noslers, it'll be good enough to do what I want it to do. If I have to come up a few clicks compared to HXP, so be it. I just need a long term solution for when my HXP invariably runs out.

    I'm fairly certain I won't be able to make the remaining two matches this year (otherwise I'd experiment) and in the winter I'm planning on doing the stock of the special with some tung oil, so I'll be starting "from scratch" next year anyway after taking it all apart.
    "Bushido is all very well in its way, but it is no match for a 30-06." - Jeff Cooper

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daekken View Post
    In the end, all I'm looking for is something that I can build around. What I mean by that is a load I can make that will be consistent and ballistically decent, and from there I can make the sight adjustments I want, and just roll with that load without messing with it.

    I'm thinking if I do something like 45gr Varget under the Noslers, it'll be good enough to do what I want it to do. If I have to come up a few clicks compared to HXP, so be it. I just need a long term solution for when my HXP invariably runs out.

    I'm fairly certain I won't be able to make the remaining two matches this year (otherwise I'd experiment) and in the winter I'm planning on doing the stock of the special with some tung oil, so I'll be starting "from scratch" next year anyway after taking it all apart.
    right this is what you do... heck the MOA changes in your loads balistically will still be less than say your own skills for that day. Lighting,fatigue, coffee, have to piss half way through the prone portion... especially T 200 yards..
    From my memory theres only about 1 moa drop at 200 difference between my lighter load of varget at 2500ish fps and 50 grains at 2950fps
    now at 600 yards your 100 yard zero would need about 12min correction at 2950 vs 19-20 at 2500 fps. Now its probably about 15" more push in a 10mph full value wind at 600 yards 2950fps will be about 28" or so at 600 yards vs 40ish" with 2500
    WTB your POS NO GOOD Lee Reloading Equipment
    WTB M1 Garand with shot out barrel

  4. #64
    NES Member daekken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    the dusty Winnemucca road
    Posts
    1,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    right this is what you do... heck the MOA changes in your loads balistically will still be less than say your own skills for that day. Lighting,fatigue, coffee, have to piss half way through the prone portion... especially T 200 yards..
    From my memory theres only about 1 moa drop at 200 difference between my lighter load of varget at 2500ish fps and 50 grains at 2950fps
    now at 600 yards your 100 yard zero would need about 12min correction at 2950 vs 19-20 at 2500 fps. Now its probably about 15" more push in a 10mph full value wind at 600 yards 2950fps will be about 28" or so at 600 yards vs 40ish" with 2500
    Yup, I think I'll do 45gr Varget with the custom comps and then make sure to track the sight changes if any in case for whatever reason I need to go back to HXP in the future. I can't imagine there will need to be too much adjusting.

    Will be waiting a while unless things change and I get access to a 200 yd range.
    "Bushido is all very well in its way, but it is no match for a 30-06." - Jeff Cooper

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daekken View Post
    Yup, I think I'll do 45gr Varget with the custom comps and then make sure to track the sight changes if any in case for whatever reason I need to go back to HXP in the future. I can't imagine there will need to be too much adjusting.

    Will be waiting a while unless things change and I get access to a 200 yd range.
    well roughly you need to come up 2min from your 100 yard zero.
    WTB your POS NO GOOD Lee Reloading Equipment
    WTB M1 Garand with shot out barrel

  6. #66

    Default

    Up
    WTB your POS NO GOOD Lee Reloading Equipment
    WTB M1 Garand with shot out barrel

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •