Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

I was out at H25, ran both stations because the other H25 operator didn't show. I had almost nothing to do, just the beginning and end water counts and then the hourly checkins. My expected channel was dead to me, couldn't hear it at all so I had to fall back to a repeater earlier on the course. Made it a bit weird, but it wasn't a big deal.

I'm hoping next year to end up on a station with more traffic. It was frustrating to be stuck out there, especially knowing that there was a guy at the nearby medical station with a baofeng that showed up without the radio programmed, I had to do it for him..from the front panel...at the briefing. Ugh. Had fun anyway.

My reviews are in, and I sent them an email right after the event with a whole pile of thoughts.
    It's not paranoia, if they really are out to get you.

Don't get in any gun fights with buffalo hunters. There ain't no such thing as cover.
    -The Box O' Truth

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone View Post
    I'm hoping next year to end up on a station with more traffic. It was frustrating to be stuck out there
    Come join us at START next year, you certainly won't be bored

Well, a friend of mine and I plan on volunteering next year.

Hopefully, they will get their shit together.

What type of traffic do you do at the start line?
    “The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
    ~1797 Treaty of Tripoli signed by John Adams

“In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own. It is error alone that needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1814
    GFY if you don't like my opinions

I'll be back next year. I should get a backpack radio.

Quote Originally Posted by blindfire View Post
    Well, a friend of mine and I plan on volunteering next year.

Hopefully, they will get their shit together.

What type of traffic do you do at the start line?
    Lots of timeline reporting (Making sure things happen on time so other things can happen on time, sending wave release info down course) and most positions are Communications assistants to BAA Officials. And, you are in the middle of all the action, all 30,000 runners and 1,000 spectators in one place at the same time. We are a different animal at start, and usually very busy.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomedic View Post
    Lots of timeline reporting (Making sure things happen on time so other things can happen on time, sending wave release info down course) and most positions are Communications assistants to BAA Officials. And, you are in the middle of all the action, all 30,000 runners and 1,000 spectators in one place at the same time. We are a different animal at start, and usually very busy.
    Sounds like what I want to do then!

Thanks
    “The Government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion.”
    ~1797 Treaty of Tripoli signed by John Adams

“In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own. It is error alone that needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1814
    GFY if you don't like my opinions

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920