Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

That's my primary. :)

If you want to volunteer for the Marathon...

From the Marathon Communications Committee
    General registration is closed, but we have some time this month to get more people registered. If you know someone interested, please e-mail us back and provide their contact information, and we can send them registration instructions.
    So, if anyone wants to volunteer, shoot me a PM.

It is a long day, but a lot of fun, a great experience, you get an insider's view of the Marathon, a sports jacket, BAA Marathon pin and free entry to the after-party at Fenway.

"I usually watch when they stick it in and pull it out." - minininjer
    "It shot all over my face, counter, and the floor." - minininjer

I thought some here might like a little insight into what goes into just the communications infrastructure of the Marathon. This is the first of many emails I'll be getting before the race. (I x'd out a few things since this is a public forum.)

Thank you for signing up to help at the 2017 Boston Marathon as an amateur radio volunteer. The Boston Marathon is a world-class event, and it simply couldn’t happen without the support of almost 10,000 volunteers who come out on race day to make it safe and successful for runners and spectators alike. We know how much effort you put into this—preparing for your assignment ahead of time, getting up early and traveling on race day, and then putting in a long day of work. Thank you for stepping up to make that commitment and join the team. We’re all looking forward to another successful year.

Right now the organizing team is working on putting all your assignments together. Those are due to be finalized by the end of February, and you’ll start hearing more from us about your specific assignments around then. In the meantime, I wanted to share some preliminary information with all of you.

•Save the date: We’ll have a training seminar at xxxxxxxxx, in xxxxxxx, on March xx at 8:00 AM. If this is your first year with us, it’s a great opportunity to learn about communications at the entire event and meet your fellow volunteers. If you’ve been to this seminar before, know that we’re shaking up the program a bit to keep the presentations relevant to all volunteers. We’ll also be reviewing the entire communications plan, including commercial and state traffic flows, with the medical team in one of the early sessions. We’d love to see you all there. If you have a conflict, don’t fret; we’ll record the sessions and publish them after.

•Our volunteer registration numbers are better than past years (thanks for that!), but we need a few more to cover for cancellations as we get closer to race day. General registration is closed, but we have some time this month to get more people registered. If you know someone interested, please e-mail us back and provide their contact information, and we can send them registration instructions.

•If you have assignment requests or schedule requirements that weren’t noted in your volunteer application, now’s the best time to let us know about those too. Again, just e-mail us back.

We’ll be mailing regularly to keep you in the loop as April 17 approaches. However, if you ever have questions about volunteering in between now and then, please always feel free to write us

Quote Originally Posted by cockpitbob View Post
    I thought some here might like a little insight into what goes into just the communications infrastructure of the Marathon.
    You should see it from my side
    Like looking through a list of over 300 people (3 lines each) on an excel spreadsheet to sort out assignments. Meetings with BAA and public safety who both have their own rules and requirements.
    Last edited by ghettomedic; 02-16-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ghettomedic View Post
    You should see it from my side
    Like looking through a list of over 300 people (3 lines each) on an excel spreadsheet to sort out assignments. Meetings with BAA and public safety who both have their own rules and requirements.
    I can only imagine. You have my admiration, appreciation and sympathy.

Quote Originally Posted by cockpitbob View Post
    I can only imagine. You have my admiration, appreciation and sympathy.
    I am enjoying seeing behind the scenes and being involved but it is a lot to take in being my first year in the management role. There is a lot that the front line volunteers don't know about and hence don't understand why things are done the way they are.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789