Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Squib round today

I was shooting with a friend today when he encountered a squib load in his P228. Fired the first two rounds from a mag and the third made a click like a dry fire. No pop that he could hear. He wasn't sure what the issue was and racked the slide. Fortunately the round was stuck at the chamber end of the barrel and the next round would not chamber.

IMG_0131.JPG

We didn't have a cleaning rod with us so we had to wait until we got home to knock the bullet out with a dowel. The bullet looked like it had just barely engaged the rifling.

This was Winchester NATO 9mm 124 gr. not hand loads or cheap Russian ammo. There was some unburned powder sprinkled on the bench at the range and we found more in the gun including inside the frame when we removed the grips.

Has anyone seen a squib load like this recently with quality factory ammunition? The box was a couple years old at least. Is it worth following up with Winchester and giving them the lot number? We didn't fire any other rounds from that box. Should he chuck this box or cautiously fire a few rounds to see if the whole box is questionable?

I've been lurking on here for a while and learning a lot from the members. Finally decided to register and go green.

Thanks

It wouldn't hurt to contact Winchester with the lot# and issue. For the rest of the box, I wouldn't use it, that's just me.

I don't have any advice, but welcome aboard.
    Everything is the worst

Comm2A Amazon Linky

Quote Originally Posted by Penniepup1 View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to contact Winchester with the lot# and issue. For the rest of the box, I wouldn't use it, that's just me.
    Good advice. I had a problem several years back, a casehead separation with an early Federal .40 S&W HS round, in a Glock 23. The base of the casing ripped off, leaving the rest of the case in the chamber. I sent the pieces, and if IIRC, the rest of the box to Federal. They thanked me and sent me four 20-round boxes of new HS.
    Frosty

"No matter where you go, there you are."
    Dr. Buckaroo Banzai

"MAJOR HOOTERS!
    Major Bob Hooters, U S Air Force at your service."
    Brian Hackett

NES Member

Lets start with where did you get the ammo. Where do you/he store your ammo? picture of the box and a casing photos?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.

My buddy was going to give Winchester a call with the lot #. Hopefully he gets a replacement box at a minimum.

UNSUB,
    It was his ammo. I believe he said he had it for a few years. He shoots regularly but not usually 9mm so it was probably sitting for a while. He stores his ammo in a stack on cabinet in a finished basement that is heated by pellet stove during the colder months and dehumidified in the summer. I would think that NATO spec ammo with lacquered primers would be more resistant to storage conditions.

I don't have a picture of the box, but it was in good shape with no mold or water damage. The case was ejected onto the floor and mixed in with the rest so we weren't able to examine it.

Seven other rds were fired from that box without issue prior to the squib. I guess we'll see if Winchester asks him to send it in.
    Last edited by Marlow; 08-05-2017 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Clarification on how many rds were fired from the box of ammo.

well for a lurker that's one hell of a solid first post!!
    ---
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin

Thanks Squib308!

I have zero experience with squibs, but this sounds really odd to me. I would think if it was a light charge of powder, all the powder would still burn, but you had unburned powder on the bench. My first guess is the powder got contaminated, but how does that happen to just 1 round on a factory production line? Odd.

"I usually watch when they stick it in and pull it out." - minininjer
    "It shot all over my face, counter, and the floor." - minininjer

Quote Originally Posted by cockpitbob View Post
    I have zero experience with squibs, but this sounds really odd to me. I would think if it was a light charge of powder, all the powder would still burn, but you had unburned powder on the bench. My first guess is the powder got contaminated, but how does that happen to just 1 round on a factory production line? Odd.
    We initially thought it was a light charge as well or a cartridge with no powder, until we discovered the unburned powder on the bench. If it is an issue with the powder, there could be other affected rounds in the box or in the lot. I've seen where he stores his ammo and it doesn't seem to be a storage issue to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast