22lr with silencer

On how efficient a silencer is on 22- at Sig there was a guy shooting a 22 pistol with a silencer. The shot was louder with my active earmuffs on than without them. Very very quiet. In comparison a well sorted out silencer on a 223 rifle even when firing a subsonic round is… almost just as loud as without one at least to me. So yeah- suppressed 22 is … very quiet- about as loud as a weak hand clap.

I took my rimfire can out for some fun last weekend. My experience so far is that it seems to foul my barrel faster and accuracy falls off after maybe 200-250 rounds. More importantly, my velocity went up around 30fps and my ES opened up from 'teens to about 30fps. I was still able to repeatedly hit an 8" circle off a shmedium gamechanger at 300yds when the wind was consistent.

Initial impressions...quiet, ton of fun, looks cool, probably not accurate enough for serious competition use due to the inconsistent velocities. Unsure if this happens to be my particular can or if they're all like this, but it stands to reason this may be an unavoidable consequence of how a suppressor works and the slow and tiny rimfire projectile. Regardless, no regrets.

View attachment 878357
Sexy sniper legs on that bad larry.

On how efficient a silencer is on 22- at Sig there was a guy shooting a 22 pistol with a silencer. The shot was louder with my active earmuffs on than without them. Very very quiet. In comparison a well sorted out silencer on a 223 rifle even when firing a subsonic round is… almost just as loud as without one at least to me. So yeah- suppressed 22 is … very quiet- about as loud as a weak hand clap.
A .223 with subsonic ammo is nearly useless. The bullets are so small and light that they are scarcely better than a .22 LR.

In fact, Aguila makes a subsonic .22 LR that uses a huge 60 gr bullet. Basically the equivalent to a subsonic .223. But in .22 LR.

And yes. suppressed .22 is quiet.

I was playing around with all my various combinations the other day and decided to try
1) my bergara B14R (bolt guns are quieter than semi autos)
2) my only .22 can.
3) CCI .22 QUIET ammo. This ammo sounds suppressed out of an unsuppressed rifle.

The combo was RIDICULOUSLY quiet. How quiet? Dropping the bolt on my 10/22 registered louder on my iPhone software noise meter than firing this round out of this rifle.

Back
Top Bottom