Default Register firearm in MA?

If from private, out of state sale, do I have to register a long gun with this state?

Do handguns need to be registered in MA? I see some paperwork is filled out at the retailer, but again, what about private sales?

Thanks

nvm... I believe I need so submit an FA-10 form as an out of state buyer.

Private out of state sales are prohibited by federal law, so be careful. (Only same state residents can sell to one another unless one of them is an FFL Dealer)

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    If from private, out of state sale, do I have to register a long gun with this state?
    There is no such thing. Rifles and shotguns may be purchased in a state other than your state of residence, but ONLY from/through a FFL (C&R transfers aside). You must report it via filing a FA-10 within 7 days of it entering the state. If purchased from a resident of your state, the seller is generally responsible for filing the FA-10 form.

Do handguns need to be registered in MA? I see some paperwork is filled out at the retailer, but again, what about private sales?
    Handguns may ONLY be purchased from a resident of your state, or purchased from/transferred through a FFL in your state of residence. The seller is generally responsible for filing the FA-10 form (unless selling to a FFL).

Banned

Stickies are there for a reason.

Try reading them.

Glad I asked ahead of time. I'm not sure how long guns are transferred between Maine residents, but I imagine it's much more lax than in MA... Given that no permit is required to purchase or own. Probably why this seller wasn't aware... No biggie and the wheels are in motion. Thanks for the quick replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrivener View Post
    Try reading them.
    Except for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrivener View Post

Try reading them.
    Yep. Like this one which deals precisely with these issues.
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and thus any interpretation or statements about the law that I might make should be taken with a grain of salt and mixed with your own legal research as well as advice from actual legal counsel. I cannot be held responsible if you find yourself somebody's "friend" in federal, state, or local prison should you act on my opinions on the law. My interpretations of the law will generally be on the conservative side.