Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Noob Question Re: Air Rifle Scopes

Just picked up my first air rifle and am looking to put a scope on it.

I notice in the literature and while shopping that some scopes are specifically marked for "air guns only."

I also notice that certain rifle scopes are marked as "air rifle-rated" while the vast majority are not so marked.

What is the real story on this? Does a scope for an air rifle need to be either "air gun only" or "air rifle-rated"? Or can any old rifle scope be successfully used on an air rifle?

In other words, is this just a marketing ploy/gimmick? Or is there some real physical or functional difference to be aware of between regular rifle scopes and air gun (or air rifle-rated) scopes?

Thanks!

CLMN

Quote Originally Posted by CLMN View Post
    Just picked up my first air rifle and am looking to put a scope on it.

I notice in the literature and while shopping that some scopes are specifically marked for "air guns only."

I also notice that certain rifle scopes are marked as "air rifle-rated" while the vast majority are not so marked.

What is the real story on this? Does a scope for an air rifle need to be either "air gun only" or "air rifle-rated"? Or can any old rifle scope be successfully used on an air rifle?

In other words, is this just a marketing ploy/gimmick? Or is there some real physical or functional difference to be aware of between regular rifle scopes and air gun (or air rifle-rated) scopes?

Thanks!

CLMN
    It is not a marketing gimmick. When firearms discharge, the recoil is only in one direction (rearward). The high-velocity spring-piston "adult" air rifles recoil forward and rearward, when the powerful spring snaps forward. It happens in a split-second and the scope gets jerked back and forth. This can damage a regular scope. Air-gun-rated scopes can be used on firearms but firearm scopes will have a short life indeed if used on an airgun. BTW, the best type of scope to use on an air rifle is a fixed 4X. No moving parts and much more rugged construction vs. a variable power.

No, it's not a marketing device.

The reason for a scope being designed for air guns only is that air guns recoil in both a forward and backwards direction, whereas a standard firearm recoils in only a backwards direction. Substituting/swapping scopes for other than their intended use can cause damage to the internals.

Quote Originally Posted by RFWAVELENGTH View Post
    It is not a marketing gimmick. When firearms discharge, the recoil is only in one direction (rearward). The high-velocity spring-piston "adult" air rifles recoil forward and rearward, when the powerful spring snaps forward. It happens in a split-second and the scope gets jerked back and forth. This can damage a regular scope. Air-gun-rated scopes can be used on firearms but firearm scopes will have a short life indeed if used on an airgun. BTW, the best type of scope to use on an air rifle is a fixed 4X. No moving parts and much more rugged construction vs. a variable power.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoginName View Post
    No, it's not a marketing device.

The reason for a scope being designed for air guns only is that air guns recoil in both a forward and backwards direction, whereas a standard firearm recoils in only a backwards direction. Substituting/swapping scopes for other than their intended use can cause damage to the internals.
    Thanks very much guys. Seems that I have learned something new today!

CLMN

Air rifles definately need rated scopes. Then the rating on how much recoil the scope can take needs to be decided. If you put a low-recoil rated airgun scope on a high recoil airgun it will quickly fail. Allso, it's good to have an adjustable objective lens so that you can focus, parallax free at all distances.

I've sold off all my air rifles but have kept one. I kept a Beeman R7 .177 cal. It wears a Bushnell 4-12X40 Trophy scope. I use it at 10 or 12 power most of the time. You can put a pellet into a 1/4" hole at 25 yards if you do your part.

Anyway, here is a good vendor and a chart of the different scopes they sell. It lists them by power rating. BTW, lots of good to be said about getting a mil-dot scope. Check out these scope: http://www.straightshooters.com/nava...elections.html
    John

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Never squat with your spurs on.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by yanici View Post
    Air rifles definately need rated scopes. Then the rating on how much recoil the scope can take needs to be decided. If you put a low-recoil rated airgun scope on a high recoil airgun it will quickly fail. Allso, it's good to have an adjustable objective lens so that you can focus, parallax free at all distances.

I've sold off all my air rifles but have kept one. I kept a Beeman R7 .177 cal. It wears a Bushnell 4-12X40 Trophy scope. I use it at 10 or 12 power most of the time. You can put a pellet into a 1/4" hole at 25 yards if you do your part.

Anyway, here is a good vendor and a chart of the different scopes they sell. It lists them by power rating. BTW, lots of good to be said about getting a mil-dot scope. Check out these scope: http://www.straightshooters.com/nava...elections.html
    Interesting website! Thank you!

My new air gun is a Gamo Shadow Express (combo .22 air rifle and air shotgun). Right now it still has the stock spring installed, but I am looking at possibly going with a Crosman Nitro Piston at some point in the near future. I'd like to keep that option open with whatever scope I buy.

Can you tell me how to determine the "recoil rating" of my new air gun? Both with the stock spring and with the Crosman Nitro Piston? Thanks!

CLMN

I wouldn't mind a good scope or red dot sight for my TechForce 97. I want something good for outside shooting, and possibly in low light. I just saw one of the videos below, and I guess fiber sights might be a good bet as well, since the range is so limited, reducing the need for the magnification.

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009/...-force-97.html
    http://www.compasseco.com/tech-force...er-p-1618.html

As others have mentioned, air rifles recoil in both directions but not all air rifles. Only spring piston rifles do that. CO2, pnumatic and pcp guns don't do that. I've also read that new scopes are reinforced to prevent damage from the reverse recoil. If you want to use a certain scope and aren't sure, ask the mfg. With so many companies making air rifle scopes in such a wide price range,you should be able to find something you like. Look carefully at mounts as well because they must resist the backwards recoil and some also compensate for barrel droop in break barrel spring piston guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gerrycaruso View Post
    As others have mentioned, air rifles recoil in both directions but not all air rifles. Only spring piston rifles do that. CO2, pnumatic and pcp guns don't do that. I've also read that new scopes are reinforced to prevent damage from the reverse recoil. If you want to use a certain scope and aren't sure, ask the mfg. With so many companies making air rifle scopes in such a wide price range,you should be able to find something you like. Look carefully at mounts as well because they must resist the backwards recoil and some also compensate for barrel droop in break barrel spring piston guns.
    The break barrel thing is a whole issue onto itself. Some are saying a can't even use a scope and expect any good to come of it. But I wanted this particular air gun and knew that much going in. If the scope I buy doesn't work out for this air gun, I'll use it elsewhere.

CLMN

Quote Originally Posted by CLMN View Post
    The break barrel thing is a whole issue onto itself. Some are saying a can't even use a scope and expect any good to come of it. But I wanted this particular air gun and knew that much going in. If the scope I buy doesn't work out for this air gun, I'll use it elsewhere.

CLMN
    Scopes on break barrel guns work fine. Make sure you get good mounts and rings, as mentioned above, so the scope stays locked in place. Gotta watch the length so it doesn't interfere with the break barrel action too. I don't know what your particular gun, Shadow Express, is rated as. If you call the vendor that I gave you they can recommend something and you'll get it right. I'm betting a heavy recoil scope will be what you'll need.
    John

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Never squat with your spurs on.
    Will Rogers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast