Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerosene in MA

Default Kerosene in MA

Kerosene lasts longer than a decade. It burns slow. I read somewhere that a gallon of kerosene can power a regular Mantle style wick lamp for 50 hours and that you could rig up a contraption to help you to use the lamp as a heat source for cooking.

That being said I can't find kerosene in MA. Err or more than a little jug of it at walmart. I called a few local oil companies and none of them have it. On some other forum I found, a guy refering to MA as the PRM thought that Kerosene pretty much doesn't exist in MA because kerosene heaters are illegal. WTF? Is this true?

I'm looking to get 50 gallons at cost and not the pay the inflated pre-canned lowes 5 gallon drum price. (roughly $40 on their website). I think a gallon of Kerosene costs some change more than $3.00.

Do the residents of MA have to drive to a free state to get Kerosene or does anybody know a guy?

I haven't looked in awhile but I think it's available at certain privately owned stations. Where in Mass are you located?
    NRA, GOAL, SASS, IDPA, AZA

Member Copicut Rifle Assoc., Rod & Gun of New Bedford.
    NRA Pistol, Home Firearm Safety Instructor; Range Safety Officer

"Guns dont kill people, dads with pretty daughters do."

The Hess station in North Quincy has a pump for Kerosene.....

Campello Keith 74 plain st. in Brockton has kero at the pump.
    Last edited by oldguy; 01-06-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: spelling defficency

I dont know what area you are in but May and Hally in Groton has real kero but you can also use off road diesel fuel as well. Off road has red dye in it and does not have the road use tax included in the price, just dont put it in your car. Quite a few places around Groton have off road diesel right at the pumps.

NES Member

You really want to use clear kerosene. It is nt dyed so pay tax on it but it wont gum up your wicks. It is very hard to find. There is dyed kero all over around here but the only place I could find with clear was in Portsmouth nh.

IIRC, the Hess station on US-1 in N. Attleboro had it a few years ago when I was looking for the stuff.
    Mass. Gun Laws By and For Non-Lawyers (How To Stay Legal and Out of Trouble) - Seminar
    http://home.comcast.net/~safety-instructor

NRA Certified Instructor and Range Officer

We have met the enemy and he is US!

Call rental houses local to you: Taylor, Grand Rental, whatever... Chances are they rent kerosene heaters (lord knows we always did), and if they rent the heaters, you can bet they either know where to buy kerosene, or will sell it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    Campello Keith 74 plain st. in Brockton has kero at the pump.
    And their prices are usually lower than everyone elses.

anyone know any places in the New Bedford/Fall River area that sells the clear kerosene?

also why not just use mineral spirits. I have stocked up on some in addition to lamp oil. I have read a lot about the mineral spirits being just as good but cheaper than lamp oil.
    Last edited by cstockwell; 01-06-2010 at 11:56 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast