Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default ammo storage laws?

I did a quick search but didn't find anything related to my question.

Are there any ammo storage laws in MA? I know guns are required to be locked up, but do I need to lock up ammo as well? Are there any restrictions on the amount of ammo I can store in my house?

Thanks

527 CMR 13.00

"small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use."
    (Ob. IANAL)

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks for the quick response. What is "CMR" by the way? I just ask because MGLs are usually cited as a source instead of "CMR"

Code of Massachusetts Regulations

What is the Code of Massachusetts Regulations?

The Code of Massachusetts Regulations (CMR) contains regulations promulgated by state agencies pursuant to the Administrative Procedures Act (M.G.L. c. 30A). Rules and regulations form part of the body of administrative law along with administrative orders and decisions.
    http://www.lawlib.state.ma.us/source...cmr/index.html

jdubois, I am having a hard time finding "small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use." in CMR 13.00.

I see that small arms ammo is referenced in section 13.11, but I don't see which subsection that regulation is part of.

527 CMR 13.04(1)(e)

Quote Originally Posted by EcHo View Post
    jdubois, I am having a hard time finding "small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use." in CMR 13.00.

I see that small arms ammo is referenced in section 13.11, but I don't see which subsection that regulation is part of.
    He is absolutely correct. Not all CMRs are available online.
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and thus any interpretation or statements about the law that I might make should be taken with a grain of salt and mixed with your own legal research as well as advice from actual legal counsel. I cannot be held responsible if you find yourself somebody's "friend" in federal, state, or local prison should you act on my opinions on the law. My interpretations of the law will generally be on the conservative side.

Whether or not it is the law, and I believe JD is correct anyway, it is still a bright idea to lock it up. I use a "job box".

Keep in mind (someone will correct me if this is wrong, I'm sure) since this is Mass, empty brass and the bullets are also considered ammunition even though they can't do anything but frighten liberals until they are assembled... If the law requires ammunition to be locked up, it stands to reason the components (even the inert items) would be treated the same way. Of course, that is picking nits right to the bone...

The Bird. It flies. It is free. The Human. It hunts. It sees bird. Tonight we TASTE freedom! -EagleEye
    Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves. -Jung
    We should not pretend to understand the world only by the intellect; we apprehend it just as much by feeling. -Jung
    I'd rather go more south -minininjer
    I'm not sure how my tiny hands would be able to hold something that big. -minininjer

Quote Originally Posted by namedpipes View Post
    Whether or not it is the law, and I believe JD is correct anyway, it is still a bright idea to lock it up. I use a "job box".
    Ditto, I have a Homak gun locker that I keep ammo and my Sawzall in.
    Lead, follow, or shut the **** up.

Quote Originally Posted by garandman View Post
    Ditto, I have a Homak gun locker that I keep ammo and my Sawzall in.
    You can never be too safe with those Sawzall's, someone could lose a finger!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast