Default Buffered Lead Shotgun Reloads

I am looking for a good source book on using buffer material, something that explains how to use the buffer in creating a reload, as using a buffering material can increase pressure so you want to get it right.

I have Tom Rosters buffered lead manual, but it does not go into great detail on how to make a load, more of a manual of loads and explaination of why he uses it.

Thanks for the help,
    JC

Keep in mind that with shotshells, you do not "work up a load" like you do in metallic reloading.

So, if someone has a book of reloading data, use that data, and forget about experimenting.
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    Author of a book on reloading

www.ballisticproducts.com this is the only place I have seen any mention of buffer in reloading. One this sight you can find articles more twards hunting reloads than say trap or skeet reloads.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi...ffer_page1.htm
    Last edited by mac1911; 09-17-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Thanks for the replies. I know most people just follow shotshell reloading data, but I enjoy understanding how each component affects the load. Buffer is something I am working on now.

Best,
    JC

Winchester sold a shot buffer called Super Grex, and I still have some. It was around 1986. As usual the loads were on the label.

It was discontinued within 2 or 3 years.0

Tom Roster's info is good but he pushed Tru Square buffer, but I haven't seen anything from him in the last 10 years.

BPI seems to be the most up to date material.

Used to reload shotshell a lot. The book I had at the time I believe was a lyman book but it was several editions ago. I used to use regular baking flour for buffer material. Worked great and was cheap. Can't remember what the load was now and the book I had written down all of my loads was lost in a house fire. I hunt exclusively with a 20g and was able to take pheasant at ranges way outside of what I usually took them with unbuffered. Had hardly any wounded and running birds. It really is pretty amazing the difference between buffered and unbuffered.
    When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
    Prov 29:2

Take a look at the reloading forum at WWW.Shotgunworld.com it has more information about reloading for shotguns than any other place on the web.

Under sevices click forums.