Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NES Member

Default 10 lb. trigger pull law?

My father recently got his M&P .45 and good reviews all around except the trigger pull is set at 10 lb. After asking a few people we were told that MA state law requires that the trigger pull on handguns be no less than 10 lb. and that it was illegal to adjust it lower.

1. Is it true that there is a 10 lb. trigger pull law?
    2. If so, exactly what are the stipulations or does someone have a link to it?

Much obliged in advance.

You have been told incorrectly. The regulation which requires 10lb (or alternate safety features) only applies to a "licensed purveryor of handguns" (i.e., a MA licensed dealer). It does not pertain to private sales, nor does it prohibit the modification of trigger pull by the end user.

The CMRs are in http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=cagoterm...MR16&csid=Cago

You will find that some dealers will not do trigger jobs to reduce the weight below 10lbs, because they are concerned that the AG might consider this "part of the sale" (using the same general theory that Feds use to assert that multiple cash transactions structured to avoid the bank reporting requirement is also illegal).
    Check out the USPSA Northeast Section at www.uspsa-ne.org, and the USPSA nationals site at www.uspsa.org

You can have it worked on with no problems.
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and thus any interpretation or statements about the law that I might make should be taken with a grain of salt and mixed with your own legal research as well as advice from actual legal counsel. I cannot be held responsible if you find yourself somebody's "friend" in federal, state, or local prison should you act on my opinions on the law. My interpretations of the law will generally be on the conservative side.

Bring it to Derr Precision in Marshfield and he will fix it up for you... reasonable cost too!

Quote Originally Posted by Glockaholic View Post
    Bring it to Derr Precision in Marshfield and he will fix it up for you... reasonable cost too!
    I had Greg Derr lighten my M&P 9c.. He does excellent work..

Quote Originally Posted by jenlynn724 View Post
    I had Greg Derr lighten my M&P 9c.. He does excellent work..
    Jenlynn, are you happier with you M&P now that you've had the trigger done?

(sorry for the thread hijack, yes you can have the trigger done, I did and it made a huge difference. Larocca in Worcester did mine)
    idealistic retard - Join or Die. Call GOAL today. We must all hang together or we shall surely hang separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob P View Post
    Jenlynn, are you happier with you M&P now that you've had the trigger done?

(sorry for the thread hijack, yes you can have the trigger done, I did and it made a huge difference. Larocca in Worcester did mine)
    I am very happy with the trigger, the difference is night & day..

Quote Originally Posted by jenlynn724 View Post
    I am very happy with the trigger, the difference is night & day..
    Good!
    idealistic retard - Join or Die. Call GOAL today. We must all hang together or we shall surely hang separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockaholic View Post
    Another testimonial to Greg Derr's work. I had him do trigger jobs on 2 of my M&Ps.

Of course we don't know where the OP is located. So Mike Larocca (Worcester) or Dave Santurri (N. Attleboro) may be closer for him/her. All 3 gunsmiths can do an excellent job for relatively cheap money (especially compared to running rounds thru the gun to "smooth it out").

I'll give Dave Santurri a plug here - he did my M&P 9c and did a fantastic job with 1 day turn around!
    My favorite Clint Smith-isms:
    "I may get killed with my own gun, but heís gonna have to beat me to death with it, Ďcause itís going to be empty."

"The best example of good training is to never get in a fight."

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you're ready to ventilate something..." -Anon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast