Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ? about building a 10/22 from scratch

I've thought about building a 10/22 with an aftermarket receiver, I ran accross a web site with an 80% completed 10/22 receiver and considered building from scratch. http://www.ruger1022receiver.com I'd like to get some feedback.? I could also purchase a tactical inovations? http://www.tacticalinc.com/replaceme...ers-c-317.html
    Last edited by Ghoastrider; 07-09-2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: needed to ask the question in the title.

I was planning from scratch 10/22 project until yesterday, there was a 10/22 on GB that was an Ok deal. I'll be picking it up next week.

I like the M.O.A. Stainless Steel receiver, it is $179.95
    http://www.moaguns.com/rec10_22.html
    It is Stainless Steel which is nice.
    Will accept threaded or factory barrels.
    Has an additional mounting lug on the rear, solves barrel droop, if it worries you at all.

The 80% is neat but, spendy considering the last 20% is DIY, tools to finish it are $40, and then you have to send in the paper work to the ATF.

If the TI you are looking at is the one with the rail take a look at the NoDak Spud NDS-22 receivers. http://www.nodakspud.com/NDS-22.htm
    They just put "seconds" on clearence for $110.00

Are either of the receivers definitively better than stock? The pricing is close to or more thant what you'd pay for a whole 10/22, and you still have to finish it. You're essentially mfg a receiver, which is legal, but you have to file the form with ATF and the FA-10 (if you are in MA).

Seems like a whole lot of extra work for no benefit unless they are way better than stock.

The Bird. It flies. It is free. The Human. It hunts. It sees bird. Tonight we TASTE freedom! -EagleEye
    Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves. -Jung
    We should not pretend to understand the world only by the intellect; we apprehend it just as much by feeling. -Jung
    I'd rather go more south -minininjer
    I'm not sure how my tiny hands would be able to hold something that big. -minininjer

The non-Ruger receivers are better than stock, but whether those improvements are worth it to you are going to be based on what your intended purpose for the rifle is, and how much cash you're willing to sink into it. If you're intent is to build an ultimate target rifle on the 10/22 platform, and you're budget is at least, say, $1000, than those receivers make a lot of sense. For anything less than that, I believe that your money would be better spent improving other parts of the 10/22.

You can build a really, really nice 10/22 off the Ruger receiver, after all. I have three 10/22s with varying levels of modification from factory. Add an aftermarket stock, better trigger, new aftermarket or reworked factory barrel, and some good sights or glass. That's where the big gains in accuracy and shootability are. The replacement receivers are for those hunting that last 2% of possible accuracy, or perhaps people who can't bear the thought of buying a Ruger 10/22 and getting rid of most of it.

I've got an 80% stainless receiver for a 10/22, but it's pretty low on the project list. I got it so I can add a bolt handle on the left side of the rifle (opposite the original), which on a Ruger receiver would involve destroying the serial number - not worth the jail term, for sure. My plan is to mill out the extra slot, and put my serial number elsewhere. I am aware that this is neither cost effective, or something that anyone who isn't left handed would understand the motivation for. That's what makes this receiver worth it to me - for most people, not so much.
    Kevin

"History is made at night. Character is what you are in the dark." - Lord John Whorfin

"The free market is providing exactly what people want, except what they want is ****ing stupid as shit." - endus

"I swear, you’re like a circus clown trapped in a vice president’s body. You’re like assassination insurance. May God have mercy on us all." - Larry Correia

http://www.comm2a.org/donate

Why would you be required to send paperwork to the BATF ?

Unless your planning on building a SBR.

Unless your talking about a state requirement ?

Im not familiar with a federal requirement to register a rifle as long as its at least 26 OAL and has a barrel at least 16 inches long.

ETA: Thanks for clearing that up namedpipes +3.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptar View Post
    I was planning from scratch 10/22 project until yesterday, there was a 10/22 on GB that was an Ok deal. I'll be picking it up next week.

The 80% is neat but, spendy considering the last 20% is DIY, tools to finish it are $40, and then you have to send in the paper work to the ATF.

If the TI you are looking at is the one with the rail take a look at the NoDak Spud NDS-22 receivers. http://www.nodakspud.com/NDS-22.htm
    They just put "seconds" on clearence for $110.00
    Discovering Your Strawman, Yes I'm serious about this. ¿?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYB0N0Of4Cw
    http://rexcurry.net/index2.html
    http://freedom-school.com/patriation.pdf
    About our Origin on earth.
    http://mars-earth.com/sitchin.htm
    "I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

A good paragraph should be like a ½ skirt - long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by SemiAutoSam View Post
    Why would you be required to send paperwork to the BATF ?

Unless your planning on building a SBR.

Unless your talking about a state requirement ?

Im not familiar with a federal requirement to register a rifle as long as its at least 26 OAL and has a barrel at least 16 inches long.

ETA: Thanks for clearing that up namedpipes +3.
    Actually I was under the impression that you'd have to complete a form-1 when completing a receiver, as you would essentially be manufacturing a firearm. I see now there is some debate on that, but I don't have the definitive answer.

On the state side, you MUST pseudo-register the completed firearm via FA-10 form, if in Mass.

The Bird. It flies. It is free. The Human. It hunts. It sees bird. Tonight we TASTE freedom! -EagleEye
    Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves. -Jung
    We should not pretend to understand the world only by the intellect; we apprehend it just as much by feeling. -Jung
    I'd rather go more south -minininjer
    I'm not sure how my tiny hands would be able to hold something that big. -minininjer

Banned

While we're touching on the subject...

...what DOES constitute 'manufacturing a firearm'?

If you build a '10/22 type rifle' completely from afermarket parts, without ever having purchase a rifle to use as the base of the project, ARE you engaged in manufacturing?

Check out Brownells.

From both my experience building 6 or 7 of these and from reading a LOT from others top level builds, unless you're going full monty on your build, the aftermarket receivers will do very little if anything above and beyond the Ruger receiver. If you're going to go that route, you really should be looking at the other top level parts to go with it (Kidd trigger, Lilja bbl, etc) Don't go extreme on one aspect and low ball the rest. Having a fancy receiver to impress does nothing if the rest isn't equally impressive AND the performance isn't there. Also, on such a build, one should be looking at availabilty of the better target/match ammo as well. No gonna pout the cheap bulk fodder through a match level build are ya? ;)
    Decide what the final result will be for (performance, fun, looks, etc). Plan your budget and start looking for parts. Remember, the recognized brands aren't always the best.
    The 80% stuff...with so many options available why bother? Mess it up and you have a paperweight. You do need to serial number it I believe and it would require a serial number and the federal stuff. Using all aftermarket parts to build a complete one doesn't constitute "manufacturing" as the receiver is already made and registered. The 80% receivers were marketable prior to the Charger when folks wanted them to build a non-Class 3 legal 10/22 pistol.
    Got specific Q's shoot 'em his way. Happy to help.

Default My reasons for building

I already have 1 extra 10/22 stock, barrel band and barrel. Ruger wants 42.00for the entire trigger group and 34.00 for the bolt assembly, The other bolts,V-block, handle and pins are under 30 bucks. My thought process was this: I want a receiver that is unique to the gun I would like to build. The ruger receiver is crap when it comes to fit, finish, friction and tolorances.
    So, if I purchase a machined aftermarket receiver I can do 1 of two things, Put my existing parts on it or take apart my target 10/22 (.bull barrel and thumb home stock & trigger group) reassemble my stock 22 and add the cool looking aftermarket receiver to my target model. that gives me a totaly unique targer gun and the parts to reassemble my factory 10/22. I can say that I built it from scratch. All this for less than a couple hundred bucks or the cost of a new plastic ruger.

I looked at other receivers:
    LH almost $400.00
    Valq over $300.00
    TI $240.00
    X-ring $360.00
    MOA $190.00 copy of the ruger receiver (its also a casting)
    Nodak Spud $110.00 reworked and no longer available

RAZOR receiver 125.00 it looks better than the other ones (well toss up between X-Ring and it, my oppinion) and I get to finish the work. I don't have to pay any FFL dealer for the transfer fee that seems to range from 20 to 50 dollars depending on the gun shop and sinse I'm buying out of state I have no state tax. All the links are on this one page http://www.ruger1022receiver.com I don't mind spending a few dollars or I wouldn't be in this sport. I just don't want to spend 2 or 3 hundred more when I don't have to, to get the same thing.
    Last edited by Ghoastrider; 07-11-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast