Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winchester Ranger SXT ammo

If anyone is interested, here's a few pics of an expanded Winchester Ranger SXT 165gr JHP. I weighed the expanded bullet and it retained it's full 165 grains. It was shot into a row of several gallon milk jugs.

This is the LE version of the SXT. The non-Ranger SXT does not have the "talons" when it expands.

Sweet picS!!!! :D
    “Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”

“The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”

If you live in Massachusetts protect your 2nd Amendment rights and donate... Comm2a.org

How would ya like to be the home invader who was getting that pulled out of ya.
    When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills! The people it kills get up and kill! - Dr. Foster, Dawn of the Dead

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It's difficult only for others. It's the same thing when you are stupid.

Member of GOAL
    Life Member of NRA
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor & Range Safety Officer

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by TYPEO1313
    Yea, I think that that could be said as a "bad day."

But it sure up's the pucker factor.
    NES Swag that Supports Comm2A <---- Click Me!

"America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall" --Unknown

B.P.O.E. Attleboro Lodge # 1014

Proud Member #2 and 5/16ths of JC2ASC.

Quote Originally Posted by TYPEO1313
    That would definately be really high up on the "O" factor scale.

("O" as in Ouch!!)
    "They say gun owners are compensating for something. They're right. I'm compensating because I'm smaller and weaker than violent criminals."

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!!

Properly placed, it'd be 100% painless.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    Properly placed, it'd be 100% painless.
    This is very true, however, I was taking the adreneline pumping through ones veins into account. [lol]
    "They say gun owners are compensating for something. They're right. I'm compensating because I'm smaller and weaker than violent criminals."

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!!

When I load pistol ammo, I usually use Remington Hollow Points, 115 JHP for the 9, 180 JHP for the 40 and 185 JHP for the 45.

My home defense ammo for the 9 is MagTech Guardian Gold. That'll definitel "leave a mark".

The PD here in town used to issue the 180gr SXT's. After reading about how slow they move and unreliable expansion, I tried some out. The 180gr didn't expand at all when fired into the same water filled milk jugs. According to Winchester's specs, their 180gr Ranger SXT loading is leaving the muzzle 10fps slower than their subsonic .40's. I showed the Chief at the time the expanded bullets and statistics (which many will argue against). We swapped ammo at the next qualification.

I'm sure that a 180gr .40 S&W would reliably expand if it was designed solely for the .40. But, when manufacturers stuff 180gr bullets designed for the 10mm in the .40 S&W, they usually have too thick of a jacket and too slow of a muzzle velocity to reliably expand.

I use the Winchester SXT 115gr +P+ JHP's in my 9mm's and 230gr Hydra Shocks in my .45's.

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers TonyD's Avatar

How are the 124's and 147's in 9mm? I've got some Black Talons I should replace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast