Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best spotting scope under $200?

I'm looking to get a spotting scope. It will be used only at the range. I need to be able to see .17 holes in the black at 100 yards. Any suggestions as to what I should buy? Cheaper is better as long as it shows me the holes and the tripod is steady.

Quote Originally Posted by carmy View Post
    I'm looking to get a spotting scope. It will be used only at the range. I need to be able to see .17 holes in the black at 100 yards. Any suggestions as to what I should buy? Cheaper is better as long as it shows me the holes and the tripod is steady.

That is going to be tough with a high-dollar scope, depending on conditions.

"Pat you owe me a beer" Derek
    "Send It"

I can see the holes through the scope on my rifle if I use Shoot-n-see targets. The scope on the gun was only $45. I just need a spotting scope that is as good as the scope on the gun.

Baush & Lomb Discoverer 15x-60x! i think Bushnell took over & now makes that same model now..but look on ebay for the Baush & Lomb original. i picked it up for $150, excellent optics on this spotting scope. i know this because i build optics for a living. Stay away from anything made with BAK-7 glass, quality scopes use BAK-4 or better,....also Burris makes several models for around that price range.
    Last edited by Franco; 05-07-2009 at 08:52 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm pretty happy with my Konus 80mm scope (fixed 20-60x zoom eyepiece), which was right around the $200 mark. In good conditions I can see .22 holes at 200 yards, so .17 at 100 ought to be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by carmy View Post
    I can see the holes through the scope on my rifle if I use Shoot-n-see targets. The scope on the gun was only $45. I just need a spotting scope that is as good as the scope on the gun.
    ANY scope should be able to see hits on Shoot-n-see targets at 100yds. Don't go with too high a magnification, which is a mistake too many people make. Anything under 30X is good.

"Pat you owe me a beer" Derek
    "Send It"

I have a Barska Blackhawk 20-60x60. I bought it at Dicks for IIRC $170, and I have no problem with 223 at 100 yards. I don't own anything .17 so I'm not 100% that it would work.

But if you live local, you are more than welcome to try it before you buy one.

celestron makes a very nice scope, they have some for around $100

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/1...ng_Scopes.html

I have this one for under $200 and love it. It's no KOWA but does a great job.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Spotting.html

* Celestron

Celestron Ultima 80 3.1"/80mm Spotting Scope Kit

* Waterproof
    * Angled Viewing
    * 20-60x Wide Angle Zoom Eyepiece
    * 40-60° Apparent Field of View

* Includes Free: Celestron Photographic/Video Tripod w/ Quick Release 3-Way Head

* Price: $ 189.95
    Last edited by rep308; 05-08-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    I've got an NRA sticker on my Prius

Kowa scopes are generally considered to be a great value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast