Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default AAA Roadside Battery Scam

For those of you who call AAA for a jumpstart, it seems they have an ongoing scam to sell batteries, whether you need one or not.

I ran into a old buddy of mine today who works for a AAA contracted road service company. He drives a white AAA marked truck and takes calls exclusively from them via onboard data dispatch terminal. He told me that AAA gives them a quota of batteries that they MUST sell every month. He's not happy with this arrangement, but he needs the job. He told me that the AAA Brand batteries are utter crap and he'd never use one in his own car.
    Here's how the scam works. Every morning he loads up the truck with new batteries of different sizes. When he goes out to the jumpstart calls, he hooks up the cables and attempts to give the disabled vehicle a jump. Things are NOT what they appear because he only pretends to hook up the cables. When the car dosen't start, he tells them the battery is junk and needs replacing. Lucky for them because he just happens to have a battery on the truck that he could sell them. He then installs the new battery, collects payment and offers to take the old battery away for disposal. If they don't want to give up the "junk" battery, he tells them that it'll cost them another $20 for a "core charge" if he dosen't bring the old one back with him. So, more often than not, they customer will let him take the old one away. That way, they don't have the old battery, even if they wanted to do a load test on it. He only makes an extra $15 on the battery sale, with the bulk of the profit goes right back to AAA.
    After learning of this, I spoke to another friend who runs a repair shop and asked if he knew about this. He didn't specifically know about the scam, but has seen several problems with the batteries AAA sells. He told me that he thought they were junk and seen a few hack installs. He told me he had a customer recently that got a battery installed by one of their road service guys. They installed a battery that was the wrong size and rubbed against one of the cooling hoses, which created a hole that led to coolant loss and overheating. The car was towed into his shop and he showed the customer the problem with the battery, and found out that AAA installed it. Trying to save his customer money, he called AAA to find out about their warranty policy. He explained the situation and got an earfull of shit by the guy from AAA. It seems that AAA was very irate now that they would have to pay out a warranty claim. The said to the mechanic "why didn't you just fix it and charge the customer like anyone else?". The mechanic replied "because I don't screw people, and since when is it my job to cover-up for your mistakes?". The car owner then called AAA and hashed it out with them. The car was picked up later that day by another tow truck and taken somewhere who knows where. I assume AAA made it right by the guy, or they should have anyway, but I'll never know.
    I never trusted AAA and this is only one more reason to avoid them like the plague. I have more AAA horror stories, but I'll save those for another time.
    Last edited by Zappa; 03-23-2009 at 10:31 PM.

"Politicians Are Like Diapers, They Should Be Changed Often, And For The Same Reason"

NES Member

Usually when a car starting battery goes bad, it is a victim of something else (such as a bad alternator or regulator) and not the cause of a problem itself. Replacing the battery without finding and repairing the underlying problem is simply swapping victims.

Another thing I learned about AAA the hard way. If you are on a motorcycle you are SOL. They won't do anything for you. They will send no help at all no matter what you need. They left my butt on the side of the road with a dead battery once. All I needed was a jump start to get the bike home and replace the battery. Sorry it's not a car you are on your own. Needless to say I canceled my membership right then and there.

I was a member for years and the one time I called them needing help I was simply told they would not help me because of the class of vehicle I was driving.

I don't know if there is something subliminal about this or not, but I read this when I got up this morning and on my way to work I passed one of those trucks parked on Soldier's Field road waiting for suckers

I've been using AAA since I started driving. I've never had a problem with them, and when I've called with the bike, I just ask them to bring a flat bed.

I've never been turned down by AAA, and I've never need a jump and have them sell me a battery. And the one time that they couldn't jump me, the towed it back to the shop, and they called and said that the battery was fine, that it was the lead down to the starter that was bad, and it was fixed for under a 100 bucks.

I also get my movie tickets from AAA, free maps, and they've hooked me up with travel plans as well.

I used them to get Brent into his car when he locked them in at Dave's wedding.
    NES Swag that Supports Comm2A <---- Click Me!

"America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the Mall" --Unknown

B.P.O.E. Attleboro Lodge # 1014

Proud Member #2 and 5/16ths of JC2ASC.

I'm thinking this AAA Battery thing is different from the regular Triple A. The truck I saw was plastered with AAA Battery logo as opposed to the AAA Oval. I've never seen that before

NES Member

Quote Originally Posted by C-pher View Post
    I've been using AAA since I started driving. I've never had a problem with them, and when I've called with the bike, I just ask them to bring a flat bed.

I've never been turned down by AAA, and I've never need a jump and have them sell me a battery. And the one time that they couldn't jump me, the towed it back to the shop, and they called and said that the battery was fine, that it was the lead down to the starter that was bad, and it was fixed for under a 100 bucks.

I also get my movie tickets from AAA, free maps, and they've hooked me up with travel plans as well.

I used them to get Brent into his car when he locked them in at Dave's wedding.
    I too have had no problems with AAA. They have come in handy several times throught the years.
    RKBA
    Infringements only disarm the innocent.
    To disarm someone is to subjugate them.
    When someone wants to disarm you it means they want to control you.
    Weapons of war is what the 2A is for!

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus View Post
    Another thing I learned about AAA the hard way. If you are on a motorcycle you are SOL. They won't do anything for you. They will send no help at all no matter what you need. They left my butt on the side of the road with a dead battery once. All I needed was a jump start to get the bike home and replace the battery. Sorry it's not a car you are on your own. Needless to say I canceled my membership right then and there.

I was a member for years and the one time I called them needing help I was simply told they would not help me because of the class of vehicle I was driving.
    They recently sent me an information package that said they would now include motorcycles and trailers for an additional cost - I think it was $35 or something like that.

Banned

AAA batteries are refurbs. We had em at Ferreira's, but we pretty much told AAA to screw when they tried giving us quotas.

Had a Northern New England fleet driver jump my mom's car once, he offered to "test" the battery and alternator for us. I said go ahead, he said "Your alternator is putting out 9 volts" at which point I threw the multimeter on it and replied "I'm getting 14.7 volts, and your supervisor is getting a phone call". Never had a problem after that.

They always seem to show up pretty quick for me, I mentioned once to the dispatcher that I was working for a Southern subcontractor (034), and aparently got an employee flag on my membership number.

I think the core charge is pretty standard...
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and thus any interpretation or statements about the law that I might make should be taken with a grain of salt and mixed with your own legal research as well as advice from actual legal counsel. I cannot be held responsible if you find yourself somebody's "friend" in federal, state, or local prison should you act on my opinions on the law. My interpretations of the law will generally be on the conservative side.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast