Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CWOF and CORI check

Hey all, I will soon be completing the Firearms Safety Course and completing my application for a Class B LTC b/c the COP in my town apparently will only issue first time B's. In 2005, I was charged with an OUI and accepted a CWOF plea b/c at the time it seemed like the easiest/least expensive way out. I understand that depending on how the law is interpreted by the COP in my town this could at worst be seen as a guilty verdict rendering me DQ'ed, and at best I would be legally qualified, but the final "suitability" decision will be up to the COP's discretion. I was also arrested once for driving with an expired registration and had a court date for that.

I have a couple questions about preparing the LTC application:

1) Would contacting the Criminal History Systems Board and receiving a copy of my CORI history be beneficial for me? I'm thinking this will assist me in preparing for question 10 (list all court appearances) on the app. Is the CORI report similar to what the Chief of my town will pull when reviewing my app?

2) Provided I receive the accurate CORI information, would I still be best served by obtaining lawyer services to assist with my app? I'd like to go for an FID if I get denied for the LTC Class B. I understand that there is some question as to whether getting an FID with CWOFs is a "trap" or not. I've read on this forum that if you are convicted of a felony and receive an FID, you are commiting another Federal Felony by purchasing a shotgun.

I have a sinking feeling that by not fighting the OUI case, I've basically forfeited my 2nd Amendment rights in MA. But, I guess you reap what you sow. Any input from folks in the know on these scenarios would be GREATLY appreciated. I guess the gist of this is I'm trying to determine whether I'm throwing money away on this seemingly fruitless quest or whether there may be a shred of hope for at least an FID so I can shoot some clays/duck legally with a shotgun.

TIA, V2
    Last edited by Voyager2; 03-11-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager2 View Post
    would I still be best served by obtaining lawyer services to assist with my app?
    Yes.
    (Ob. IANAL)

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi

3 words:
    call a lawyer
    Member: Goal, NRA
    Mystic Valley Gun Club
    Quote Originally Posted by vellnueve View Post
    Doesn't matter where you carry. Ankle, IWB, up the rear hole, it's all good as long as you have the permit.
    For english press 1. For all other languages hang up the phone, learn English, and call back.

Whats the ballpark cost of application assistance?

Just throw a number out there.

Every case is different. Call one of the lawyers listed below, tell them your situation, and ask what it would cost.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbullet...ad.php?t=19145
    (Ob. IANAL)

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi

[double post, mods please delete]
    (Ob. IANAL)

Whats the ballpark cost of application assistance?
    My guess is 1-2 hours at $250/hour for office work, much more if you need an in-person appearance by the attorney.
    Check out the USPSA Northeast Section at www.uspsa-ne.org, and the USPSA nationals site at www.uspsa.org

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager2 View Post
    I was also arrested once for driving with an expired registration and had a court date for that.

Operating with a expired registration is a civil offense which carries a $100.00 fine. I do not think you were arrested for that.

Was there more to this that is not being disclosed? My guess is that you were arrested for other charges as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Cocked View Post
    Operating with a expired registration is a civil offense which carries a $100.00 fine. I do not think you were arrested for that.

Was there more to this that is not being disclosed? My guess is that you were arrested for other charges as well.

You can also be charged criminally for operating after suspension/revocation of registration. However, you are correct in that it is NOT an arrestable offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Cocked View Post
    My guess is that you were arrested for other charges as well.
    I believe I was arrested for a warrant that had to do with the unregistered vehicle. This happened in Western MA awhile ago, so the details are cloudy. I'm requesting my CORI history today, so I'll know the full extent of how bad a guy I am in 7-10 business days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast