Default For those late night listeners . . .

WBZ brings back two broadcasters

Bowing to public pressure, WBZ-AM 1030 is bringing back longtime broadcasters Steve LeVeille (L) and Lovell Dyett (R), both of whom were let go in January. Their dismissals prompted legions of upset listeners to petition the station and threaten to boycott advertisers and picket. LeVeille, a WBZ talk show host since 1991, credits the "power of the people" with his return. He said program director Peter Casey called him in the past few days and asked him to come back. "I never expected to get a call like that. . . . It's not how the business works . . . totally out of left field," said LeVeille, quoted in the announcement posted at www.wbz1030.com. (The Steve LeVeille Broadcast returns Monday at midnight.) As for Dyett, he's returning to do a public-affairs show, which will air Sundays at 4:30 a.m. Casey said the economic downtown has taken a toll on the radio industry, but "we always knew that the radio audience in New England and beyond has held WBZ to a higher standard."

Army Veteran

Great News, I have been a avid listener to the Steve LeVeille Broadcast. Was really disappointed when he was sacked.

For any night owls like myself (I'm retired), a very enjoyable show to listen to.

Thanks for the post.

Now, if they could just bring Larry Glick and Dick Summer back.

Army Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    Another 2 great broadcasters full of fun.

Are either of them still alive? I remember both and can still recite the Nite Light Cry. (I think that what it was called) I believe it's Summer's voice on the "Binder&Binder" commercials

This is sure to bring back a lot of memories.

http://northeastairchecks.com/

This is sure to bring back a lot of memories.

http://northeastairchecks.com/
    MikeD ~ Many thanks for the link to those great bygone radio programs, it’s fabulous indeed to hear them again. He probably already has it but I’m going to send the link to Steve LeVeille at WBZ, hopefully he’ll post it in his blog or web site so others will have the opportunity to enjoy it.

Listening to Wolfman Jack on WBZ from 1973 at the moment, man was that guy whacked-out even more than I remember!

WBZ Grease Weekend 1973. WBZ did it up right in '73 with a Grease Weekend that incorporated their current roster of air talent with past Boston radio greats and greats from outside of Boston. The did it live from Paragon Park Nantasket Beach that really added a lot to the excitement and nostalgia of the weekend. Here's three cuts of the that weekend effort. The first is former WMEX Good Guy Arnie "Woo-Woo" Ginsberg with all the bells and whistles! (15:50) Secondly, then WBZ personality Larry Justice obviously enjoying himself "breaking format" (28:31). Finally, listen as Robert W. Morgan comes in from California for a shift (28:38). The WBZ Grease Weekend in '73 was a real treat... and a testament to the way radio stations were run by big operators like Westinghouse in those days.
    Last edited by 6hold; 01-31-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Default Larry Glick & Dick Summer . . .

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Are either of them still alive? I remember both and can still recite the Nite Light Cry. (I think that what it was called) I believe it's Summer's voice on the "Binder&Binder" commercials

Larry Glick

highlander ~ Iím sorry to say that I donít know if Larry has left us or not. My better half has caught him on the Steve LeVeille Broadcast not too long ago and said that heís the greeter at a restaurant in Florida. Hope this helps.

• Larry Glick (born 1922) was a Boston radio talk show host, whose long-running show on WBZ and later WHDH became a New England institution in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
    • As late as 2007, Larry was the Ambassador of Good Will for the Legal Seafood Restaurant in the Boca Raton (Florida) Mall.

============================================

Dick Summer

The better half and I listen to Dick Summer when we can catch him. Heís on WCAP, 980 AM in Lowell just after midnight during the week. He comes on just before or during the oldies music they play till about 5 in the morning. He still has that soft, soothing and mellow voice that tends to calm even the most upsetting day you might have had.

Dick Summer is a story teller.... (New York Daily News)
    Dick Summer has one of America's most comfortable and familiar voices. He was a top radio personality on the NBC Radio Network and in New York City and Boston. Dick is now heard every day on national radio and television commercials. He is also a pilot, a poet, and a hypnotist. His five highly successful "Lovin Touch" books were published by Random House and Bantam Books.

PERSONAL AUDIOS (sm) are CDs and tapes that keep you company. They're always there for you, even in the middle of the night. They can make you feel safe and comfortable. They can give you courage. They can make you laugh and cry. Unlike "Audio Books" which take hours of concentration, PERSONAL AUDIOS (sm) are quick "Time Outs" for people with over stressed, sometimes solitary, and often frustrating lives. Dick Summer took his radio listeners for emotional trips like these every night. But PERSONAL AUDIOS (sm) take you well past the limits of where radio could ever go.