Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by clinotus View Post
    I'm going to beat MassMark to this thread and say you need to grab the Troy MCS system for the M1A.

I may also have beaten Dench to the lead weight comment.
    And you surely did! How did I miss this one???

My vote is for the M1A - hands down. If you want a shorter package, you could always have it re-barreled to an 18" Scout or 16" SOCOM. Or, sell your M1A and grab a Scout or SOCOM outright. To take your weapon a step further - wrap a Troy MCS around it and be amazed at where your options go from there.

If you can live with the 22" barrel of your current rifle, I would advise the following: Troy MCS SASS package, SEI Vortex Flash Suppressor, LaRue SPR M4 mount, glass of your choice, (though I like Leupold). What you will have is a long range package that with the throw of a lever can be used for CQB. The beauty of the Troy is the versatility it brings to the M-14 rifle - transforming it into a true weapon platform. Want to reach out and touch? Throw a lever add long range optics and a Magpul PRS and go the distance. Want to shoot short range? Throw a lever and add a Trijicon Tripower in a LaRue 150, a Magpul CTR stock, KAC vertical grip and a Surefire weapons light. Feeling medium? Add a LaRue mounted Millet DMS and a Vltor Clubfoot or standard A2 M-16 stock. Your options are endless....If it were me, I'd ideally like to have an 18" Scout riding in my Troy MCS and put the SOCOM back into USGI birch. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE my SOCOM, I'd just like to have that extra 2" of barrel for getting outside the box a bit....

No matter what you choose - choose M1A....
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin

"What good is a man who won't make a stand?" - Ben Harper

"And you do what they told ya - now you're under control"....

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic2474_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    This would render it better for sniping? Because you don't have to worry about banging brass?
    Ya, first thing they teach you in sniping 101.

B

Quote Originally Posted by bpm990d View Post
    Ya, first thing they teach you in sniping 101.

B
    Oh Jesus Christ! That's why I [b][color=red]*[/color][/b][b][color=red]*[/color][/b][b][color=red]*[/color][/b][b][color=red]*[/color][/b]ing asked, you jerk.
    Last edited by Gabe; 12-03-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Had to add 'fucking' somewhere >:(

Get a FAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    Oh Jesus Christ! That's why I [b][color=red]*[/color][/b][b][color=red]*[/color][/b][b][color=red]*[/color][/b][b][color=red]*[/color][/b]ing asked, you jerk.
    Well,what exactly do you plan on "sniping" ?
    Last edited by Greg; 12-03-2008 at 10:33 PM.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

I have a Socom 16, I love it.
    Keep Smiling.

People will wonder what you're up to.

Buy whatever can be fixed most easily and has the widest availability of cheap replacement parts. My guess is this might be the AR-10, but maybe its the M1A since the AR-10 was never that popular.

After Obama signs HR 1022, the industry is going to shrivel up, and you will only be able to gets parts for things like the AR-15 and the M1A, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Get a FAL.
    I agree, but after you get your MCS.......Hey, seem to remember an invite to shoot that FAL a long time ago...Either I need to get to Harvard, or you need to get to the sticks...
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Ben Franklin

"What good is a man who won't make a stand?" - Ben Harper

"And you do what they told ya - now you're under control"....

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic2474_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by maee View Post
    Buy whatever can be fixed most easily and has the widest availability of cheap replacement parts. My guess is this might be the AR-10, but maybe its the M1A since the AR-10 was never that popular.
    That would not be the AR10. Few made, different versions are incompatible. Far more spare parts availability for M1A and M14.

I think you are going to have a hard time finding an AR10 right now.
    Last edited by Jake L; 01-25-2009 at 10:41 AM.

In the interest of disclosure I should mention I own both an M1A and FAL and recommend them highly, and don't own an AR-10, but you may be better with the AR.

The AR-10 is going to be easy to accurize and stay accurate due to the free floating barrel and lack of bedding. Now with those Troy or other metal stocks bedding may not be an issue anymore, but the standard stocks on an M1A require rebedding on a regular basis to maintain accuracy. Scope mounting is also easier on the AR-10, and you can get a very nice trigger with a lower pull weight easier as well.

The primary advantages of the M1A are the reliability and ruggedness of the weapon. None of the .308 ARs have that sort of reputation. But if you're not going into battle, it probably won't matter. I probably wouldn't go with the Troy or other railed monstrosities on an M1A. There is a company out of California that makes very nice fiberglass stocks with an aluminum internal chassis to eliminate bedding that I would probably use instead. Expensive, but nothing for an M1A is cheap.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast