Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default AR-15 in Massachusetts

Hello,
    I'm fairly new to all of this, so if someone can answer these questions, I'd be really thankful.

I understand that MA still has the AWB that sunset in most other areas of the country in 2004. That means that "assault weapons" are banned, which include everything in Chapter 140 Section 121 of MGL, correct?

So, if I wanted an AR-15, I would need to get one without a collapsible stock, bayonet lug, and flash suppressor, correct? That's because it has a pistol grip and removable magazine. It is an "assault weapon" if it has more than two of the aforementioned features, correct?

So, one of the AR-15s that I can buy new is the Bushmaster M4 - http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...A3X_14M4IZ.asp, correct? Does anyone know of any other "post-ban" or "ban-compliant" AR-15s?

Or I can opt for a used, "pre-ban" AR-15 from basically any manufacturer, correct?

Finally, I go to school in New York. If I were to purchase the Bushmaster, for example, could I have it shipped to a FFL in New York? Federal law only requires that I purchase HANDGUNS in the state of residence, or am I mistaken? Either way, a post-ban AR-15 would be legal for me to possess in New York, because they do not require a permit for long arms.

Thanks for your help!

You can buy a used pre-ban AR15.

There are many manufacturers that make AR15s in post-ban configuration. Armalite, Rock River Arms, Bushmaster, S&W, etc., etc.

You'll have to check carefully on the laws in NY to make sure that you can actually possess the gun there -- I'm unfamiliar with NY laws. NY has its own assault weapons ban, but I'm not familiar with the statute.

Federal law will let you buy the gun in any state, provided that you obey the laws of both states.

You can't buy the gun mail order from a MA FFL. You would have to buy it in person.

Correct Correct Correct

Quote Originally Posted by mmbruce10 View Post
    Hello,

Or I can opt for a used, "pre-ban" AR-15 from basically any manufacturer, correct?
    Just make sure it is a complete "pre-ban" not just the upper. A pre-ban upper on a post ban lower is still a no no. Pre-ban lowers command a pretty good premium around here in ban states.

There are plenty of ban-compliant models made by just about every major manufacturer.
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and thus any interpretation or statements about the law that I might make should be taken with a grain of salt and mixed with your own legal research as well as advice from actual legal counsel. I cannot be held responsible if you find yourself somebody's "friend" in federal, state, or local prison should you act on my opinions on the law. My interpretations of the law will generally be on the conservative side.

Can those in Mass or other New England states own a post ban upper on a Preban AR15 lower and be in compliance ?

Does caliber or design on the upper matter to be in compliance with your state law ?

If so I may have a Item to make available to those that can possess such a rifle.
    Discovering Your Strawman, Yes I'm serious about this. ¿?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYB0N0Of4Cw
    http://rexcurry.net/index2.html
    http://freedom-school.com/patriation.pdf
    About our Origin on earth.
    http://mars-earth.com/sitchin.htm
    "I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

A good paragraph should be like a ½ skirt - long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep your attention.

nevermind
    Last edited by GLOCK.Perfection; 12-01-2008 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SemiAutoSam View Post
    Can those in Mass or other New England states own a post ban upper on a Preban AR15 lower and be in compliance ?

Does caliber or design on the upper matter to be in compliance with your state law ?

If so I may have a Item to make available to those that can possess such a rifle.
    Yes

no
    Stop complaining about MA and Join GOAL and comm2a if you want to make a difference.

www.downzerotraining.com

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by SemiAutoSam View Post
    Can those in Mass or other New England states own a post ban upper on a Preban AR15 lower and be in compliance?
    Yes. This is why preban lowers are so highly valued. They give you the ability to have all the 'evil' features that are otherwise illegal.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man" -- Cesare Beccaria

Quote Originally Posted by xtry51 View Post
    Nothing spreads fear like finding out you just got shot in the dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
    Yes

no
    wait, you CAN put a post ban upper on a pre ban lower?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast