Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Default Compliance Inspection

I got a voice mail from someone from the Boston office of the BATFE. As part of my C&R renewal process they need to do a "compliance exam". Has anyone else ever had this?

I'm just trying to figure out what to expect. I have all my records in order, at least it seems so.
    Support Comm2A and help restore your Second Amendment Rights.

They pull it on some people, probably randomly. Just make sure your books are in order. They'll probably let you bring the books into their office.
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and thus any interpretation or statements about the law that I might make should be taken with a grain of salt and mixed with your own legal research as well as advice from actual legal counsel. I cannot be held responsible if you find yourself somebody's "friend" in federal, state, or local prison should you act on my opinions on the law. My interpretations of the law will generally be on the conservative side.

Quote Originally Posted by vellnueve View Post
    They pull it on some people, probably randomly. Just make sure your books are in order. They'll probably let you bring the books into their office.
    I had a "compliance inspection" when I had an FFL01. They usually want to come to the licensed premises and see the hardware as well as the paperwork.

In any event, do be certain that everything is ... in compliance.

You have the option of scheduling the C&R compliance check outside of your home. Just call to make the appointment. You may have to bring your C&R items with you (along with your records) but it sure is better than having them come to your home.
    Mil-Dot

Thanks. I have a pretty small number of items purchased with my C&R. A good number of C&R eligible items were purchased from FFLs or in once case FTF. All of the state paperwork was done, I've kept my bound book and personal firearms record book current. I don't foresee any problems, really. I just wanted to ask if anyone else had had the experience.
    Support Comm2A and help restore your Second Amendment Rights.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mil-Dot View Post
    You have the option of scheduling the C&R compliance check outside of your home. Just call to make the appointment. You may have to bring your C&R items with you (along with your records) but it sure is better than having them come to your home.
    Mil-Dot
    How can they require you to bring your C&R items with you? AFAIK the closest one to me is in Boston. The BATFE couldn't give me a letter signed by the President of the United States of America to get me to bring my C&Rs into Boston. I was always told for a C&R they only want to see the records.

If they ever bring up a inspection on me and it has to be at my house, I hope it is on the coldest day of the year and I'm going to make them stand in the middle of my lawn doing their business.

Quote Originally Posted by theGringo View Post
    I had a "compliance inspection" when I had an FFL01. They usually want to come to the licensed premises and see the hardware as well as the paperwork.

In any event, do be certain that everything is ... in compliance.
    Disagree. When my dad got a compliance inspection with his FF01, they did come to the premises, but didn't look at the guns, just the book.
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and thus any interpretation or statements about the law that I might make should be taken with a grain of salt and mixed with your own legal research as well as advice from actual legal counsel. I cannot be held responsible if you find yourself somebody's "friend" in federal, state, or local prison should you act on my opinions on the law. My interpretations of the law will generally be on the conservative side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mil-Dot View Post
    You may have to bring your C&R items with you (along with your records) but it sure is better than having them come to your home.
    Mil-Dot
    Wrong, if they do it at the ATF office they just want to see the books. It's a records check, not a firearms check.

Quote Originally Posted by vellnueve View Post
    Disagree. When my dad got a compliance inspection with his FF01, they did come to the premises, but didn't look at the guns, just the book.
    I guess they gave me "the treatment". The ATF agent even brought a Worcester cop with hime, which was considered a very controversial move at that time.

01 compliance checks are VERY different from 03 compliance checks, at least in theory.

01s get inspected at their BUSINESS location. 03s have the option of requesting it be done at the BATFE office.

So, unless they are looking for something very specific (e.g. stolen gun, questionable source of gun, etc.) they likely will do a records only check at their local office.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast