Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Adam,

I've heard it several ways -- freeze rice (etc) to kill any potential bugs vs oxygen deprivation either via 02 absorbers or nitrogen/c02 packing. (All these methods presume mylar, sealed and in a food grade bucket with gasket lid.)

Are you still freezing? Do you think the 02 deprivation is an effective equivalent?

I'm hoping the latter so I can save a step -- but I don't want to find out I short changed myself 10 years down the road...

-ed

PS: bags + 02 from Sorbent arrived today. The hot jaw is package 2/2 and due to arrive this weekend -- so you can see the reason for my questions.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MarkM View Post
    Wow, you'd have to be really hungry to get through a 12" x 10" x 2" deep tray of MREs.
    They still have it on sale too.... it's like 5-6 lbs of food. I think you'd need about 4-5 people :)

You have to be careful in self storage techniques. Removing oxygen does not necessarily mean the food is safely stored--botulism does not need oxygen.

If you are storing cans of food, be really careful to inspect them before you use them. I recently found two bulging Hormel Chili cans that had been stored for around 3 years. Any can with the lid slightly bulging should be tossed!

Quote Originally Posted by biff44 View Post
    Removing oxygen does not necessarily mean the food is safely stored--botulism does not need oxygen.
    I forget where I read about this interesting tidbit of history, if true, but the article went on to describe how during the conflict with Mexico, one side or the other would bury (?) food (food land mines?) stores with the purposeful intent of spreading botulism to the enemy.

-ed
    " ...laws are only obeyed, as a matter of definition, by those who are not criminals." --Karl Denninger

Quote Originally Posted by biff44 View Post
    You have to be careful in self storage techniques. Removing oxygen does not necessarily mean the food is safely stored--botulism does not need oxygen.

If you are storing cans of food, be really careful to inspect them before you use them. I recently found two bulging Hormel Chili cans that had been stored for around 3 years. Any can with the lid slightly bulging should be tossed!
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09305.html

There's some good info on botulism; it actually requires a low oxygen environment.

I bought 100 lbs of rice in 2001 vacumed packed it in 2 lbs bags and have been using it since.

Default Mtn House

Hi Newbie to NES but not to these topics. I've been thinking of getting MH for LTS so bot a few pacakes to try. Taste ok but lots of sodium in all i tried, not so good for us older folks with high BP and also will make you drink more.

Will look into alternatives.

CS

Quote Originally Posted by Skald View Post
    I'm tempted to try some just to make sure it is palatable.
    I bought 2 at Wal-mart for the same reason.
    Tried the lasagna and it was, surprisingly, really good.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by askidmore View Post
    I bought 2 at Wal-mart for the same reason.
    Tried the lasagna and it was, surprisingly, really good.
    I picked up 5 at KTP a month or so ago, so far I've only tried the Mac'N Cheese. It was good, but so rich i couldn't eat more than 3/4's of the bag after not eating for 24 hours of heavy activity. I'd say one package is perfect for 2 people, though they are not high in calories.

Default Mylar Bags

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone here knows of a local place (Metro West) to buy Mylar bags for Long Term Food Storage? I am interested in 1 gallon and 5 gallon Mylar bags.

Also does anyone know where I can purchase food grade 5 gallon plastic barrels?

Thanks,

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast