Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default The Want Advertiser Closes its Doors Today!!!

Well, it's official that Want Ad Publications is no longer in business. They had a gun run for over 51 years and today it comes to an end. They didn't keep up with the times and were losing market share on a daily basis because they didn't listen to the market. Companies like Autotrader.com came along and KILLED them. So on Tuesday there will not be a new Want Ad magazine.

Check it out before it's taken down:

www.thewantad.com

Pete

Very sad. The good old honor system. Damn shame more people don't use it. Perhaps that lead to their demise?

The biggest problem they faced was that they needed more of the commercial dollars with automotive dealers and not just private party advertisers. They couldn't caputure those dollars and they couldn't keep up with the technology changes because they didn't have the capital. I worked for the Want Ad for many years and it was an awesome company to work for until things started to change. I'm now with autotrader.com and they are light years ahead of everyone.

It's a sad day for the Want Ad family... I still have a lot of friends that worked there...

I just bought a Want Ad ..Tuesday..... Wow the last one...! I barely ever pick it up.....

I can't say I'm surprised, the writing has been on the wall for a long time now. With a 1-2 week lead time for the ad to appear in print, it was inevitable that they'd be fighting an uphill battle against the internet. With sites like Craigs List and such, items can now be posted on-line, and sold, long before the printed media even makes it to the magazine rack at your local the store. Plus, it also reaches a wider audience. Nowadays, who would spend the money for the print ad when the internet is free?

"Politicians Are Like Diapers, They Should Be Changed Often, And For The Same Reason"

A tip of the hat to a good read.

agreed zappa, craigslist = RIP want ad

I saw a gun for sale in the most recent one, in Mass., a supressed Mac-11...legal, I'm sure.

Man, the hours spent on the toilet browsing those ads over the years......

I think the first time I piked up a Want Ad was in grade school back in the 70's. Through the 70's and 80's I'd buy it just to read for entertainment. Another part of the "old" Massachusetts gone.
    Last edited by tele_mark; 10-09-2008 at 07:20 PM.
    The NES REP system is about as ghey as Facebook

Used to make for good bathroom reading. I haven't bought one in almost two years, but I'm sad to see it go.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast