Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 20 gauge slug gun recommendations

I can't hit anything with my 12 gauge Mossburg 500 with a slug barrel. I use to blame the gun, I now accept that I don't like the recoil and have the mother of all flinches. I'm in the market for a 20 gauge slug gun for hunting and will put a shotgun scope on it. I'm thinking of getting a Model 11-87™ Sportsman® Deer

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...tsman_deer.asp

The 11-87 is a proven firearm. This will be a dedicated 20 gauge slug gun, I have a couple 20 bird and field guns. Gunbroker has them listed for about $400. I was going to have Carl order me one.

I'm open for other suggestions. The Ithaca Deerslayer III is interesting, having had a factory tour when they actually were in Ithaca, but they seem to run about $1200. I'll never get a 200 yard shot hunting in New England.

Advice please, I'm looking for a good dedicated 20 gauge slug gun for deer hunting that I will be scoping out.

Thank you for your advice
    I've got an NRA sticker on my Prius

saiga 20

Quote Originally Posted by blood hound View Post
    saiga 20
    dont sell mine...i know its still at your house

Get a 12 guage semi. Recoil problem fixed and you wont loose as many deer. 20 guage is not most effective round on a deer.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    Sigmund Freud

"WHO defines an ASSAULT WEAPON? If I assault you with my spork is it then a weapon? thus making it an assault weapon? I am sure the courts would find the spork to be a weapon if I assaulted you with it!"

GOAL
    Springfield Sportsman Club
    Quaboag Sportsman Club
    www.baystatebassanglers.org

Contrary what you may believe arlow a 20 ga slug is more than effective on deer. It is also far more accurate at longer distances.

The 11-87 is a good choice.

Benelli recently came out with an M2 20 gauge slug gun. It might be worth a look:

http://www.benelliusa.com/firearms/m2.tpl

20 is a great all around gauge. Versatile and easy to carry all day.

Use a low recoil 12 gauge slug.
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer and thus any interpretation or statements about the law that I might make should be taken with a grain of salt and mixed with your own legal research as well as advice from actual legal counsel. I cannot be held responsible if you find yourself somebody's "friend" in federal, state, or local prison should you act on my opinions on the law. My interpretations of the law will generally be on the conservative side.

Starksboro, VT (and sometimes Waltham. For now.)

Rep308, have you tried using a Knoxx Technologies CompStock or a SpecOps stock? I used to hate the recoil of my 12 guage until I tried the CompStock on a friend's gun. It REALLY soaks up the recoil.

H&R 20 guage ultra slug gun. Seriously this is a GREAT gun. 150 yard shots no problem and the gun can be bought for 250. I have used a rem 870, a ithica deer slayer, a mossberg 500. This by far is the best gun. Plus you can practice for hours and not blow out your shoulder http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/ultraslug.asp.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Contrary what you may believe arlow a 20 ga slug is more than effective on deer. It is also far more accurate at longer distances.
    Yes in the hands of someone like you I am sure it can be. Not in everyones hands though.

If you are an excellent shot and if you can put that slug through both lungs at every range you decide to shoot at yes it can be very effective. However in my experiences most hunters are not fanatics about their accuracy and that proficeint with their weapons as you and I probably are. My 12 guage shoots 3" groups at 125 yards. You cannot get much better than that IMHO.

Given that many people do not hit exactly where they aim, especially on longer shots, the bigger bullet and greater damage done is a great advantage on less than perfect shots. This is why I am an advocate of only the 12 guage for deer except for individuals who put the time and effort to perfect their proficiency with other guages.
    A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    Sigmund Freud

"WHO defines an ASSAULT WEAPON? If I assault you with my spork is it then a weapon? thus making it an assault weapon? I am sure the courts would find the spork to be a weapon if I assaulted you with it!"

GOAL
    Springfield Sportsman Club
    Quaboag Sportsman Club
    www.baystatebassanglers.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast