Default Pre-Ban Magazines

I live in MA (have pity on me). Can I buy pre-ban 30 round magazines from another state? For example, if I happen to come across a 30 round ak47 magazine made in 1987 from an online vendor, can I purchase it and have it shipped to MA?

Yes, sir...you can!

Sweeeeeet....

Thanks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BOBKATT View Post
    I live in MA (have pity on me). Can I buy pre-ban 30 round magazines from another state? For example, if I happen to come across a 30 round ak47 magazine made in 1987 from an online vendor, can I purchase it and have it shipped to MA?
    Yes.

Unless the vendor is a twit, such as Midway, CTD, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrivener View Post
    Unless the vendor is a twit, such as Midway, CTD, etc.
    Exactly. It's legal to do, but whether you actually can is sometimes an exercise in frustration.
    (Ob. IANAL)

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi

I found that out real fast. I've found 3 sites who sell pre-ban mags but none will ship to MA because "MA state law prohibits it" even thought it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BOBKATT View Post
    I found that out real fast. I've found 3 sites who sell pre-ban mags but none will ship to MA because "MA state law prohibits it" even thought it doesn't.
    Been having this problem myself. If anyone finds a vendor who'll ship, I'd like to know. Maybe a PM would be better than a public post, though.

Quote Originally Posted by theGringo View Post
    Been having this problem myself. If anyone finds a vendor who'll ship, I'd like to know. Maybe a PM would be better than a public post, though.
    Put me down for this as well. Even though it is perfectly legal, please P.M. me rather than post in this public forum.

Sometimes there are other avenues - be sure to check the "equipment exchange" section on the AR15.com website.

Can you say "Pre-ban, 30-round AR mags for $8.50 each?" Yup - still in the sealed bag, with a 1986 manufacture date. And, if you do your homework, you'll find that many manufacturers stopped making mags before the 1994 ban went into effect. In that case, there is no way the mag COULD be post ban, even if the date-stamped bag is lost.

Here's a good mag reference:

http://magfaq.tripod.com/

If you have your LTC-A and need high-cap, pre-ban mags for your AR, you'd have to be crazy (OK, let's say spendthrifty) to pay more than $10 - $12 per mag. Just don't expect to pay that at the gun shop.
    "It's so adorable that you're looking for this shit to make sense. You're such a special little snowflake." Jasons to Dench

"I love a good gun, for it makes a man feel independent, and prepared either for war or peace." - Davy Crockett, 1834.

"When asked in 1998 how he had become such a good shot, he answered, "Practice." When asked if he regretted killing so many people, he said "I did what I was told to as well as I could." - Finnish Sniper Simo Hayha