Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AR15/M16 Drop-in auto safety sear

I was glancing through the most recent Shotgun News and happened to notice a very small advertisement by a company Su-press-on Inc that was advertising drop-in auto safety sears for AR15 style rifles that you don't need an FFL to receive. I think to myself, "Self....this can't be right."

So I do a little research on the item and find that there were two types of them. The pre-1981 and the post 1981. Anything pre-1981 was supposedly grandfathered in as not being a registered machine gun, anything post that date was manufactured as a machine gun or controlled item.

Supposedly it is legal to own one of the pre-1981 sears as long as you don't own an AR15 style rifle to put it in. However the problem arises that even if you own just the sear and no rifle that you can't prove the sear was pre-1981 as there is no serial number on the sear itself so the ATF could assume that it was made after that and is an illegal machine gun.

Anyone think that the ad is potentially entrapment? It sure seems like it. Probably an ATF cover.
    "It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." Claire Wolfe

Banned

Isn't the RECEIVER the registered part? IANAL...but I thought you could replace a sear, just not the receiver...

Dunno, but it seems to me that Title 26 USC Chapter 53 is pretty clear. Anything manufactured with the sole purpose of converting a gun to a machine gun is, by definition, itself a machine gun. So I'm not sure what the pre-1981/post-1981 stuff has to do with it. If the sear isn't registered as a machine gun pre-1986 (which I'm not sure you could even do), it'll land you in lots of hot water for trying to purchase it, whether you have an AR15 or not. I know they're trying to get away with saying it has something to do with being a "safety." Good luck with that argument in court.
    (Ob. IANAL)

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by jdubois View Post
    Dunno, but it seems to me that Title 26 USC Chapter 53 is pretty clear. Anything manufactured with the sole purpose of converting a gun to a machine gun is, by definition, itself a machine gun. So I'm not sure what the pre-1981/post-1981 stuff has to do with it. If the sear isn't registered as a machine gun pre-1986 (which I'm not sure you could even do), it'll land you in lots of hot water for trying to purchase it, whether you have an AR15 or not. I know they're trying to get away with saying it has something to do with being a "safety." Good luck with that argument in court.
    Exactly. For example you can buy a MP5 clone that is "sear ready" however not a automatic gun then have a legal transferable registered sear to drop in to make it automatic.
    "It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." Claire Wolfe

Those advertisements have been around for years, you can order the part but have to wonder if it is worth the trouble for constructive possession. I hate using the boogyman term there without any substantial proof to it, but its like finding a bag filled with $100s in the middle of Lowell. Is it worth the risk?

two words... bump fire

Saves you up to 10K and maybe up to 10 years in prison.

Plus it also saves on shipping and handling!

The pre81/post81 thing came about from a ruling that a part or collection of parts solely designed to convert a firearm to a machine gun, was in itself a machine gun.

Before 1981, you could buy a DIAS, and own it without registering it. Making a machine gun out of it (actually putting it in a receiver) meant you actually had to register your machine gun. Alot of people, not knowing any better would register their lower as the machine gun, and then drop a DIAS in. These lower/DIAS combos are now "married". The lower can't be modified to accept a GI sear, as that would be manufacturing a new machine gun. The DIAS can't be removed, as its not marked, and is now a machine gun all by itself.

Post 1981, DIASs had to be registered by the manufacture as machine guns when they where made.

The ads in Shotgun News are from the dude that invented the DIAS back 20 years ago. He is still active at gun shows near where he lives.

If you want to learn more about DIASs and how they work, checkout http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/dias.html.

--EasyD

It's an ATF trap.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that you won't need it until they try to take it away."---Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It's an ATF trap.
    That ad has been in SGN news for at least the 10 years I have been getting it. I have always thought that there was something fishy about it
    I've got an NRA sticker on my Prius

wow. That was interesting reading!
    Master Electrician, MA, NH, CT
    GOAL Board of Directors
    NRA Life, Goal Life
    National Society Sons of the American Revolution
    Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War

Justice Scalia, writing for the majority, determined that, ďThe Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia.Ē

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast