Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Buying in Vermont - transporting to CT

I have a question.. that involves 3 states.

Can I drive to Vermont buy a gun, and drive home.... ?

1. I assume I can purchase in Vermont, just with my drivers license, over 21.

2. Drive through MA and CT with fingers crosssed...

3. Get home and put in my gun safe.

if all above is possible, not really legal... how would I legally register my gun in CT?

Is the right way to do this, by asking th VT gun shop to ship to an FFL dealer in my state?

Shooting at the big range in heaven Cross-X's Avatar

If you are buying handguns, don't bring them to or through MA. It would be illegal for you to do so.
    "We arm folks and supply cases of ammo to the landed gentry!"

Discrete, private and confidential.

Custom gun sales, and ammunition sold by the case. Price is distributor cost, plus 20%.

Shop phone is also our mobile phone: (508) 395-6500

Darius Arbabi

Acclaimed massgunlaw.com web site:

http://web.mac.com/dariusarbabi/Mass...unlaw.com.html

By fed law handguns purchased out-of-state must go through an FFL in your state (C&R license not withstanding). Long guns can be bought in person from an out-of-state dealer.

Not sure about transport through MA, although I suspect it might be OK as long as it complies with the MA AWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Cross-X View Post
    If you are buying handguns, don't bring them to or through MA. It would be illegal for you to do so.
    I thought federal law allowed for transport through a state so long as the gun is legal in both the start and destination states?

Quote Originally Posted by terraformer View Post
    I thought federal law allowed for transport through a state so long as the gun is legal in both the start and destination states?

It does.

Shooting at the big range in heaven Cross-X's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by terraformer View Post
    MA law does not. You could get yourself into an expensive state law crime vs. federal defense. Why bother? Once you have made a legal purchase, save yourself the trouble by mailing your guns from VT to yourself at your CT address.
    "We arm folks and supply cases of ammo to the landed gentry!"

Discrete, private and confidential.

Custom gun sales, and ammunition sold by the case. Price is distributor cost, plus 20%.

Shop phone is also our mobile phone: (508) 395-6500

Darius Arbabi

Acclaimed massgunlaw.com web site:

http://web.mac.com/dariusarbabi/Mass...unlaw.com.html

MA law does not. You could get yourself into an expensive state law crime vs. federal defense. Why bother? Once you have made a legal purchase, save yourself the trouble by mailing your guns from VT to yourself at your CT address.
    Just to clarify, Cross-X is still talking about handguns here. Long guns are legal to transport through MA for a non-resident as long as you don't run afoul of the MA AWB.

And as kevin9 pointed out, you cannot buy a handgun from a state other than your state of residence, unless you have an FFL. So I hope that's not what you're planning.
    (Ob. IANAL)

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi

ahh... This is the answer I was looking for.

So it is perfectly LEGAL for me to drive to VT, purchase a handgun and then just go to a US Post Office and mail it to myself?

Quote Originally Posted by ToeRag View Post
    So it is perfectly LEGAL for me to drive to VT, purchase a handgun and then just go to a US Post Office and mail it to myself?
    No, and no.
    (Ob. IANAL)

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi

If I am wrong on any of this please correct me.

1) I doubt that a dealer in VT would sell you a firearm without a VERMONT drivers license (unlikely they would sell to somebody with a CT license)

2) As others have mentioned it is only legal to transfer handguns from state to state thru an FFL (federal law) - unless you already own the handgun legally in your state of residence (meaning it was previously bought thru an FFL or face to face in your state of residence) - and then it is only legal to carry that handgun into another state if:

a) you have a carry license issued from that state, or:

b) I believe you can transport into a state where you don't have a license if you are doing so for the purposes of competition. But in doing so you still must meet all the laws of permissible firearms allowed in that state ( in MA means the high cap laws and so forth)

- of course as usual the reality is that you can do anything you want as long as you don't get get caught. This is legally referred to as committing a crime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast