Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Arizona Man Kills Bobcat with a Hammer

Ariz. Couple Attacked by Rabid Bobcat; Man Had to Kill It With a Hammer
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TUCSON, Ariz. | A couple hiking in the mountains outside Tucson were clawed and bitten by a rabid bobcat that did not relent until the man killed it with his geologist’s hammer.

Rich Thompson, a geologist at the University of Arizona, and his wife, a marine biologist at the school, were receiving rabies shots after Saturday’s attack.

Thompson said he knew the cat was rabid the moment he saw it staring at him and Katrina Mangin in the Santa Rita Mountains.

He said they tried to get away but the bobcat pursued them, lunging at Mangin, climbing up her legs and wrapping its body around her, clawing and biting.

The couple fought off the bobcat, but it continued attacking and jumped on Thompson’s back.

“I hit it with the backpack over my shoulder,” he said. The cat fell to the dirt and lunged again. “It attacked me again, and I threw it down.”

Finally, Thompson took out his hammer and killed the animal.

“It’s very sad,” Thompson said. “This poor kitty cat was deranged by its disease-riddled brain. I love the native cats. It was terrible to have to kill it.”

After receiving initial treatments at a hospital, the couple went with a state wildlife manager to retrieve the dead bobcat.

Pima County health officials last week warned of an increase in rabies cases in the area.

http://www.theledger.com/article/200...KING/828586635

My comments: A bobcat is not a "kitty cat." People in Arizona have the right of open carry anywhere in the state except where prohibited by statute or municipal ordinance. I am glad that the couple survived the ordeal, but a .357 trumps a geologist's hammer anytime.

I am sorry that these people are associated with my alma mater: The University of Arizona, back in the day famous gunwriter and shooter Jack O'Connor (the leading proponent of the .270 Winchester and 7mm Remington Mag cartridges) was on the faculty there as well as Kam Nasser who was an internationally known big game hunter and famous collector of 1911A1 pistols was also a UofA faculty member. How times have changed, now we have people who feel badly about killing a "kitty cat"...geesh

My apologies for admitting I am a college graduate, now you will murder my grammar and syntax

Mark l.
    Last edited by mark056; 04-25-2008 at 10:12 AM.
    Member, Leominster Sportsmen's Association
    Member, Gun Owner's Action League
    Patron Member, National Rifle Association

"O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us."...Robert Burns
    "Round up the usual suspects" ... Capt Louis Renault (Claude Rains), "Casablanca", 1942

Banned

BAN HAMMERS! It's for the good of the Bobcats!

This is painful to even watch...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwWYgQapkvo

Now, imagine being attacked by the same cat... only about 3 times bigger and heavier.

Wow. I have always wanted to hunt a predator animal with my bare hands but I don't want to actually have to do it because I will probably lose.

Quote Originally Posted by doobie View Post
    BAN HAMMERS! It's for the good of the Bobcats!
    Yes!! Hammers are dangerous, they should all be banned!!

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.

I read the title and thought this guy managed to destroy a Skid Loader with just a hammer. (^_^)

Go Pig hunting in Hawaii. You are allowed a knife ONLY.
    A clip is not a magazine, a mag is not a clip.
    Neither is a grip a stock, and "stock" does not mean grip.
    A bullet is not a cartridge, nor is the converse true.
    Folks should be more careful when they use the words they do.
    A revolver has a cylinder, but only one you see,
    and cylinders have chambers, five or six most commonly.
    I do not wish to nitpick, but improvement would be seen,
    if we could bring ourselves to say exactly what we mean.

- Lieutenant Colonel John Dean "Jeff" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by mark056 View Post
    My comments: A bobcat is not a "kitty cat." People in Arizona have the right of open carry anywhere in the state except where prohibited by statute or municipal ordinance. I am glad that the couple survived the ordeal, but a .357 trumps a geologist's hammer anytime.

Mark l.
    Every entrance to the part of the Coronado National Forest that these people where in has a 3x4 foot sign stating the following: “Smuggling and other illegal activity is likely to be encountered in this area” Forget the rabid bobcats, who wouldn’t pack a roscoe after reading that?
    Last edited by springer; 04-25-2008 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark056 View Post
    now we have people who feel badly about killing a "kitty cat"...geesh
    I'm not seeing anything wrong with the guy's remorse. Bobcats are beautiful animals, and worthy predators. I've also had to kill animals before because they were rabid, and I too have always felt bad for them. It's a terrible disease to have to suffer, and it leads nowhere but death.
    (Ob. IANAL)

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by jdubois View Post
    I'm not seeing anything wrong with the guy's remorse. Bobcats are beautiful animals, and worthy predators. I've also had to kill animals before because they were rabid, and I too have always felt bad for them. It's a terrible disease to have to suffer, and it leads nowhere but death.
    geesh... I can't wait til I move out of the northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    geesh... I can't wait til I move out of the northeast.
    Sheesh, it's not like I am (or by any indication the guy in the article is) trying to tell anybody they shouldn't hunt. Go kill anything you want, I don't give a sh*t. All I said is I can feel for a rabid animal. Sorry if you can't...
    (Ob. IANAL)

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast