Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default LL Bean, Freeport

I was just visiting the LL Bean mothership in Freeport, and the old "Hunting and Fishing" department is now in its own building just west of (but connected to) the main retail store. It's also open 24/7, and it all feels very new.

Unlike the rather cramped setup that the hunting section in the main store used to be, the racks of shotguns out on the floor just keep going on and on into the distance; I get the idea they've didn't scrimp on anything, including buying inventory. (The sign says they buy and sell used guns, too.) Lots of accessories, including a whole wall of scope rings, and the people there in there in the middle of the night were both friendly and knew their stuff.

Prices seemed neither cheap nor ridiculous, but since I'm not too much of a shotgun person (which seemed to be a lot of what they had) I could be way off base here, and all ammo looks expensive to me these days. Still, a nice place, and I think it's well worth a visit. (Plus, if you want to go gun shopping at 2am, now you can!)

Bean's is pretty much a yuppie fashion store now rather than being a store for ppl that'll actually use the items for outdoor use. I mean 'com the have pastel office wear and expressor machines for camping... YUPPY!

I usually hit Bean's once a year. I haven't been in a while, but, when I saw the new "Lodge" I was in Heaven!

About 10 years ago, and employee in the old hunting section was worried about losing his job. "Damn yuppies and Libs from Mass are killing the hunting section!" was what he said. He honestly thought that Bean's was going to drop the hunting altogether.

Seems that cooler heads prevailed.

Shooting at the big range in heaven

Bean's is pretty much a yuppie fashion store now...---BlkHawk73
    Yep it's now L.L. Filenes, although I still like to stop when I'm in the area.

Respectfully,

jkelly

They had to do something in response to Cabelas opening in their backyard.

Cabelas is going to kill beans and the kittery fleecing post.

Quote Originally Posted by striped1 View Post
    They had to do something in response to Cabelas opening in their backyard.

Cabelas is going to kill beans and the kittery fleecing post.
    I doubt it. Beans has thier name which will defiantely help them. Being in the yuppy town of freeport and having that market to hope for will help too as many will make it a point to go there. Kiitery will continue to get the MA and Nh folks and the tourists stopping in the shopping areas. I know I'll still shop at KTP even with the cabeala's being 15 minutes from me. Some stuff may be a better deal at Cabela's but I know thier firearms prices are some of the worst I'm ever seen.
    I'll go to whomever has the better prices/products and customer service. knowing what cabela's is paying, I'm expecting little to minimal knowledge in the firearms dept.
    Last edited by BlkHawk73; 03-19-2008 at 06:34 PM.

I stopped going to Bean's back in '94 when they were on the TV news talking about supporting the Clinton semi-auto and magazine ban and the Brady Act.

If I remember right it was one of the Gormans who was on channel 6 saying that they only sell the kind of guns that people "need" to kill fuzzy little animals. According to him, no one "needs" an ugly black gun or any handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkHawk73 View Post
    Bean's is pretty much a yuppie fashion store now rather than being a store for ppl that'll actually use the items for outdoor use. I mean 'com the have pastel office wear and expressor machines for camping... YUPPY!
    You are so right!

Only reloading stuff they have is for black powder. Their firearms do not include handguns. They seem like a store designed to supply the likes of John Kerry with hunting rifles or shotguns. But there's some good news . . .

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ft*scarborough

And there is always the Kittery Trading Post (upstairs, of course).

KTP is getting into the mail order business possibly in response to the recent openings. But I don't see Cabelas putting it out of business. Cabelas has more that just stop in to look as it is impressive (at least the one in PA). KTP does a huge business in trades which Cabelas or L.L. will never challenge. KTP is also able to satisfy the NH crowd in firearms sales without the added tax which the others can't do. They can also deal with ME and NH in handgun sales which they can't do. So I expect the KTP to be around for sometime.

I agree. KTP is a very good gun shop. Their clothing sucks -- too costly for the low quality. But their gun department is a first class operation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast