Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,428

    Default Are NH Temporary cardboard license plates legal in Massachusetts?

    I have a question about NH Temporary 'cardboard' Plates in Massachusetts. I tried called the MA RMV because I was told the NH temp. cardboard license plates aren't valid in Massachusetts and that MA police can stop, ticket, and impound your car. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Administrator derek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Monadnock area, NH
    Posts
    34,050

    Default

    I think you will be fine until your plates show up. I had vanity vet plates that showed up in 10 days.
    “Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”

    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”

    If you live in Massachusetts protect your 2nd Amendment rights and donate... Comm2a.org

  3. #3
    Registered User Arioch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,275

    Default

    I had been told no by my insurance company several years ago. You should call your car insurance provider.

  4. #4
    Administrator derek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Monadnock area, NH
    Posts
    34,050

    Default

    When I bought my from Minnesota, I had no plates and the Temp MN license taped to the back of my window per MN law. I got stopped by a MA State Trooper, interrogated, showed him my loan paperwork and he let me go.
    “Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”

    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”

    If you live in Massachusetts protect your 2nd Amendment rights and donate... Comm2a.org

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    292

    Default

    They are illegal. If you are a Mass rsident, it's illegal to have the m/v registered in NH even for the 20 days. Those 20 day temporary registrations also do NOT require insurance which is required in Mass.

  6. #6

    Default

    IMO if they're valid in NH they should be valid in MA, isn't there something about how WRT driving regs, there's that whole "full faith and credit" business? I've seen plenty of plastic NH plates in MA.

    -Mike

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    When I bought my from Minnesota, I had no plates and the Temp MN license taped to the back of my window per MN law. I got stopped by a MA State Trooper, interrogated, showed him my loan paperwork and he let me go.
    That trooper used his compassion and discretion and you got lucky. He probably felt you deserved a break.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post
    They are illegal. If you are a Mass rsident, it's illegal to have the m/v registered in NH even for the 20 days. Those 20 day temporary registrations also do NOT require insurance which is required in Mass.
    Yeah, but what if the person is just an NH resident who happens to be driving in/through MA? EG, the driver has an NH DL and the car is principally garaged in NH?

    -Mike

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mass.
    Posts
    292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drgrant View Post
    Yeah, but what if the person is just an NH resident who happens to be driving in/through MA? EG, the driver has an NH DL and the car is principally garaged in NH?

    -Mike
    NH residents with NH temp. registrations are fine in Mass. It's Mass residents with NH temps. that are not ok from a legal standpoint.

  10. #10
    Administrator derek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Monadnock area, NH
    Posts
    34,050

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post
    That trooper used his compassion and discretion and you got lucky. He probably felt you deserved a break.
    Maybe, when his first question to me was "When was the last time you were arrested?" I got a little nervous. I didn't know MA had access to Mexico's CORI database.
    “Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms (of government) those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny”

    “The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government”

    If you live in Massachusetts protect your 2nd Amendment rights and donate... Comm2a.org

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •